Leave Heat Shields off w hitch install?

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by Jason Hex, May 17, 2017.

1. Jason Hex

Jason Hex Member

Got a curt hitch for my 2014 Forester XT w dual exhaust - after starting to watch videos on installation I figure I'd just take it to Burnsville Hitch and have them install it.

Every video I've seen has the techs cutting out the heat shields and then reinstalling after the hitch is in place. Well the guy here is trying to convince me to leave them off - that they rattle around - that he's installed 200 of these things and they always just leave the shields off ...

2. Cotts612

Cotts612 Well-Known Member

I would probably keep the heat shields on if you can. They put them on there for a reason, I wouldn't want to find out what that reason is if I were you.

3. Silky21L

Silky21L Well-Known Member

In my personal opinion, I think you'll be just fine without the heat shields. The mufflers don't get that hot, and there is nothing heat sensitive that is being covered.

4. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

I haven't had heat shields on mine for like 10 years...you'll be fine.

5. sneefy

sneefy Well-Known Member

When I installed my hitch on my 2016 foz, I trimmed my heat shield and reinstalled it. No rattles yet. If it does ever rattle, it's easy to access and bend.

6. Jason Hex

Jason Hex Member

Thanks all