legacy??

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by subiedriver4444, Oct 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AWDimprezaL

AWDimprezaL has more posts than you

i consider myself a 5mt abuser, mine has tons of miles, problem free

2. wall of tvs

wall of tvs Well-Known Member

Agreed. :biggrin:

3. subiedriver4444

subiedriver4444 Well-Known Member

yyeeaa..i dont see whats so bad with having a DD as an auto, and further down the line i can have a fun car that will be a stick...the legacy just kinda has that luxary sport feel to me, that you can mod a little bit.

4. nm+

nm+ Professional Hypocrite

The 5EATs are starting to have a few issues if modified without transmission upgrades over at LGT.com (not a glass transmission by any means) The 5MT in the LGT can take a decent amount of power as can the clutch without upgrade.
    Honetsly though, the 5Mt's not a fantastic transmission. It feels like shifting a bunch of rocks with a lot of flex. With the improved bushings, it's just firmer, more precise rocks.
    The 4EAT is a crappy transmission in terms of dynamics but is bombproof (and is irrelivant to this coversation anyhow)
    Honestly though, i wans't impressed by the manumatic on the LGT at all.
    I do kind of like the 3.0R and that would still be my automatic choice.

Still, i don'[t see traffic as a reason. Honetsly minneapolis traffic isn't that bad. Anyhow, if you knwo what you're doing you'll ahve to use the clutch just a few times in traffic. Automatic drivers speed up and brake to stop, you ahve to think a bit more to keep it rolling in 1st or second.

5. piddster

piddster Lone Wolf

You really don't know wtf you are talking about, lol.

The 4 speed auto can hold much much more than the 5mt, with minor modifications. I say minor because the trans doesn't even have to leave the car for it. Take the same money it takes the 5 speed to hold up to good power (and by good power I mean 350whp or more, or much much more) and you are two parts from the full BMS (Rigoli) special. Do some homework and maybe take apart a car before running your mouth.

It depends on what 4eat your are talking about. There is a HUGE difference between years and models. They were all not made by the same company, and vary significantly in their construction. Are we talking about a JATCO tranny or not?

The SS 4EAT is the basis for highly modified autos. The others, like the modern 4EAT and what not like in the WRX is a tough cookie to crack and is pretty much too smart for its own good. The TCU on the modern cars does not let you do the normal things that one would do to make an auto controllable and reliable at decent power.

The big problem I see here is that people are asking too much of something like the 5EAT and not performing the proper modifications to support it. LGT is good and all, but most of the band wagoners do not have the background or expertise to throw power at an internally stock trans and get away with it. Nor do they know what is behind the mechanicals in terms of controls. How many of them have the reprogramming kit from TransGo installed? And I'm not referring to electronics here.

And the whole bunch of rocks with flex is hilarious. And by hilarious I mean funny that people say that because they usually have know idea how the mechanics of such a device/parts works.

6. scoobypwnz201

scoobypwnz201 Well-Known Member

Here..let me reiterate myself...i have had bad experiences with Autos now that can be different with the experience of others and it's probably the truth autos are good trannies but im saying that MY experiences with autos are bad..so before you run YOUR mouth piddster and brian...

i just have one thing to say to both of you...

read a little?

:laugh:

7. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

You already have yourself talked into getting a auto, so go for it. You will not be sorry. Don't listen to the clowns that are trying to talk you out of the auto tranny. You are concerned about DD in rush hour traffic, and honestly the auto is the only way to go. I deal with the same stuff, and spending a hour to go 20 miles would get real old real quick in a 5speed. I have 45k on my 4eat with a converter and VB mod. My GF has the 5eat in her lgt and it works good. If you plan on tracking/autox/rallyx your car, you might want to think of something else, but since you seem to be more concerned about a DD car, go with the auto.

Russ

8. greg donovan

greg donovan Well-Known Member

if there is even the slightest possibility you will have knee surgery while you own your next car i think an auto is a good idea.

9. ArcticWolf

ArcticWolf Well-Known Member

Even for auto/rallyx an auto wont be terribad, certainly makes LFB easy.

And what greg said, if your knees are already bad, save 'em.

I can't speak for DD'ing in traffic, because fargo doesn't have traffic, particularly when I go to (everyone's going the other way) and get off work (no one's on the road).

10. ShortytheFirefighter

ShortytheFirefighter Pokemans. I has none. Staff Member

Actually, we have. A lot. Which means that we can actually give an informed point of view rather than pulling something out of our asses. Your first quote in this thread was that the autos are made out of glass. If you actually knew what you were talking about when it comes to Subaru transmissions then you wouldn't have wasted the bandwidth. You keep saying you break autos. How many have you actually broken? And how were you doing it? If you're doing neutral drops thinking you're the next street racing star then of course you're going to break one. If you're not doing your fluid changes, etc then you're going to break one. It's not the cars fault, it'd be yours. So take your own advice and do some reading and research before you **** in another thread.

11. scoobypwnz201

actually i never take it out of the drive position

Secondly i change my fluids every 30k

so sir..the cards are still on the table...how do YOU think i broke it? :) hmm?

12. ShortytheFirefighter

How many miles on the transmissions? You've made it sound like you've grenaded several of them, so I'm going to guess it's something you're doing over the tranny. Your car isn't putting down enough power for it to be an issue so I'm going to default to the usual suspect, the driver. And if you're "driving hard" enough to grenade a stock tranny behind an N/A Impreza on the street then your mental ECU needs a reflash.

13. 9blackmax6

9blackmax6 Well-Known Member

i cant beleive he just picked a fight about mechanical car parts with probably the two smartest guys on this site.. woooooow GL.

14. scoobypwnz201

nah it wasnt in my preza it was in my Legacy

but im just being an ******* for argument sake i just had a couple bad trans thats all..

:laugh:

15. ShortytheFirefighter

Great. So you're misleading the OP because you think it's funny and you got a couple of bad transmissions. So the transmissions aren't glass like you originally stated? Thank you for being a productive member of the board. Or not. Stop ****ting in threads.

Troll check on aisle five, Troll check on aisle five. Thank you.

:roll:

16. ShortytheFirefighter

There's nothing wrong at all with an auto for a daily driver. Not a thing. You get whatever is going to work best for you. And you can have a car that's plenty of fun and still have it be an Auto. I'd rock Matts LGT in a heartbeat, and that car is more capable than many of the manual transmission cars I've driven as well as being quieter, more comfortable and fun to drive no matter what the traffic levels.

17. Aegis

Aegis TAKE IT!

*edit* guys, keep the trolly posts to yourself. Thanks.

18. ShortytheFirefighter

Really? Anything at all?

(runs off for Goatse pics)

[​IMG]

You're still my favorite Steph ;)

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.