Lifting 2017 WRX

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by Jason C, Feb 20, 2018.

1. Jason C

Jason C Well-Known Member

I'm interested in a 1" lift for my 2017 WRX. After doing some Googling, I found a lot more info for the older chassis models than for the 2015+, which makes sense. I'm a complete noob to suspension knowledge and am trying to weigh pros and cons before I decide to go deeper into this idea or just abandon it.
    As I understand, a lift can be accomplished a few ways. One is to use spacers while keeping the stock struts and springs. Second is to install stiffer springs designed to compress less and make the car sit taller. Third is a swap of suspension parts - a Forester suspension supposedly fits the Impreza chassis.

My reason for looking into a lift is to combat scraping on my steep driveway, guard against rough dirt roads going to my hunting grounds, and I think a slight lift makes the car look nicer. My car is a daily driver and it goes where I go. I don't drive hard nor will I ever track it. Honestly, it works fine as it is with the stock suspension, but I've gotten the mod bug and a 1" lift is something I think would be very functional.

A few questions I have about lifting:

- no matter what I do (springs, spacers, swap) a suspension alignment is required?

- from my understanding of spacers, they simply move the suspension lower (or car body higher) so the undercarriage sits higher off the ground, but the spring rate is unchanged. Since the car now sits higher, can I expect more body roll?

- with springs, my understanding is they just compress less so the car is higher up. Since the suspension is unchanged, the travel is the same but I would get less body roll due to the stiffer springs? So would it feel more like stock? Or would spacers feel more like stock?

- I'm not ruling out a swap (if at all possible) but I imagine it would be the most expensive. Is the Forester suspension softer and longer travel?

- if I'm going to do this, I'm willing to spend some money do to it right, but not break the bank. What would I be looking at for a 1" lift what will offer the best in terms of not messing things up and giving me a car that drives like crap?

- among the lift methods, which would offer the best longevity? I imagine the springs will eventually sag and plastic spacers may degrade from the varying temps and road conditions we have here?

Thanks much. Like I said, I'm a noob at this and right now trying to see the feasibility of this idea.

Edit: I have a Limited model with the factory LED headlamps and I believe they may have some sort of sensor on the suspension that auto levels things on start up.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
  2. JuStaWRX

JuStaWRX Well-Known Member

Paging @Ron ! I think his 2015 is lifted higher than 1" but may be a good resource.

3. JuStaWRX

JuStaWRX Well-Known Member

Also, ADF is pretty popular for lifts if you decide to go the full kit route. I believe they offer a good variety of the options that you have listed.

https://andersondesign-fab.com/

4. Ron

Ron Member

What questions do you have? Ask away I do have ADF lift and love it. Might start to part out all my lift stuff soon cause I am going to put a Down payment on a Ascent.

tangledupinblu likes this.
  5. Ron

Ron Member

no matter what I do (springs, spacers, swap) a suspension alignment is required? Spacers are what most ppl do. Springs are another added touch.

- from my understanding of spacers, they simply move the suspension lower (or car body higher) so the undercarriage sits higher off the ground, but the spring rate is unchanged. Since the car now sits higher, can I expect more body roll? Yes, a little if you are doing 1in but I went 2inches. And can feel it a little more then normal.

- with springs, my understanding is they just compress less so the car is higher up. Since the suspension is unchanged, the travel is the same but I would get less body roll due to the stiffer springs? So would it feel more like stock? Or would spacers feel more like stock? If you widen the stance a little with some spacers or even a lower offset might help. But, you have to understand once you go that way you will have to cop your bumper up. And that was one route I didn't go cause I enjoy my bumper.

- I'm not ruling out a swap (if at all possible) but I imagine it would be the most expensive. Is the Forester suspension softer and longer travel? I would think so, I look into this also to get another inch out of my car.

- if I'm going to do this, I'm willing to spend some money do to it right, but not break the bank. What would I be looking at for a 1" lift what will offer the best in terms of not messing things up and giving me a car that drives like crap? Spacer 450 to 550$, Alignment 100$, And some sexy ass tire and wheels 700- 2000$

- among the lift methods, which would offer the best longevity? I imagine the springs will eventually sag and plastic spacers may degrade from the varying temps and road conditions we have here? This is something that you would want to choose. But, spacers I would say are a good much to give you more room to get the clearance to meaty tires or such.

If you have any info or more questions. PM your number and we can link up sometime and I can give you a rid in my car and let you drive it. If you know how to drive a manual and not that damn CVT's.

Jason C and jubella2 like this.
  6. MN_XV_712

MN_XV_712 Well-Known Member

Come join the Facebook group Minnesota Mtn Roo, it's an Subaru off roading group.

Jason C likes this.
  7. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

Air bags...or just move the body to a Chevy S10 Blazer chassis.

8. JasonoJordan

JasonoJordan Well-Known Member

It can be lifted with just spacers but knowing how my wagon handles with the spacers and firmer springs I would no advise it on stock springs or your handling will suffer quite a bit. If the forester parts fit and the lift is adequate for your tastes that would be the cheapest/easiest route.

Another thing to take into consideration is you may need additional parts to be able to safely lift it. for example adjustable lateral links to keep toe in check. Control arm spacers to keep the wheels centered. Most of this stuff is only needed if you lift it more then 1"-1.5" but things to keep in mind.

Jason C likes this.
  9. Mi_Ke_nnedy

Mi_Ke_nnedy Active Member

This is partially accurate, but I want to clarify since I may have made this misleading in the other thread. Yes, some of the springs (like my Kings) are wound to stock height, but just sit higher due to a higher rate. But that's not the only possible way to achieve a lift - there are likely others that are wound taller as well as higher spring rate (kind of the opposite of lowering springs - which can be stiffer as well, but are wound shorter). @JasonoJordan's kit from Primitive may be both wound taller + much firmer?

Yes, your total travel is the same (based on keeping the same dampers), but I believe you give up some droop travel (when the dampers extend i.e. the wheel drops - e.g. dropping into a pothole etc.) and get a gain in bump travel (when the dampers compress - e.g. hitting the far side of that same pothole) since you're no longer "centered" within the range of travel.
    Correct that body roll is reduced, because the stiffer springs resist the roll forces better than the stock ones. (The higher roll center partially negates that effect, although to a minor degree - mine definitely seems to roll less on just the higher-rate springs).

Didn't the 15+ WRX get a huge bump in spring rates compared to previous generations, and damping to match? If so, I have to wonder how nasty-handling it would actually be with just spacers. It would suffer some in the handling dept., but might still be tolerable?

Jason & Ron definitely gave some pretty good advice, and this is not negating any of it; just wanted to clarify & check on a couple points.

Jason C likes this.
  10. Jason C

Many thanks, guys. A lot to consider in this mod. I've seen kits from Rallitek, Subtle Solutions, ADF, and also the lift springs from King Springs.

How important is it to maintain droop travel vs bump travel? Seems the roads are getting worse in my area and I've hit some bumps that were jarring, making me wonder if I ran up to the bump stops. I've learned where the rough sections are and take them with greater caution and reduced speed. Even on the dirt roads to the hunt camp, I take it slow and only go through rough stuff that I can't completely avoid.

I've seen the kits that include multiple correction parts. I'm really only looking for an inch of lift at the most. I wouldn't mind something closer to 2", but I know I'll for sure need some more serious work to keep things working well and not creating more problems.

Who would you guys recommend for a suspension shop to do installs, alignments, etc.?

Thanks much!!

11. JasonoJordan

That more you lift the more issues you run into for sure.

You can do all the work yourself.
    Jeff the alignment guy is 2nd to none in cases like these in terms of getting you the correct alignment for the task and driving style you have.

12. klutz

klutz Well-Known Member

subscribed for future pictures. lift away!!

13. Jason C

Just doing some further research into the lift. Seems a swap from a Forester is possible, but will result in a softer ride and likely get me about 2-2.5", which is more than I want. Spacers look like the most economical option, but new springs that are taller and have a stiffer rate seem to also work rather well. Some threads on NASIOC seem to suggest the 2015+ WRX suspension utilizes dampers that work very well with higher spring rates. This leads me to think perhaps the lift springs might be better due to reduced roll compared to spacers using the stock springs.

I've found two makers of lift springs: King and Rallitek. I am more interested in Rallitek since they are based out of Portland, OR whereas King is supposedly in Australia. I'd rather deal with a domestic company for warranty issues if it came to it.

Probably looking into spring time for the lift to be done. I'm also looking to get a new catback since the SPT catback sounds kinda rice farty with the j-pipe.

14. skubi1

skubi1 Well-Known Member

I would think that Forester suspension is compatible that way, considering many Foz owners opt out for WRX or STi springs for lower ride height.

15. Jason C

Figured I'd update this thread with my progress this far. Since my WRX had an issue with the rear end sagging about 1/2" compared to the front, I ended up having a 3/4" saggy butt spacer from Subtle Solutions installed in the rear to level out the car. Part of my reason for that was to see if I couldn't remedy the rear end scrape I would get if I went down my driveway with some weight in the trunk.

After adding a hundred miles after the install, it looks like the rear is now about 1/4" taller than the front. It works for me, since I actually like the larger wheel gap which now looks more uniform all around the tire. So now I'm thinking of a 1/4" front spacer to try and truly level out the car. Either that, or I may order up taller spacers and get the 1" lift I was originally looking to do.

Decisions, decisions....

tmp_25231-Saggy butt spacers installed7631770416862216229.JPG

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
    tangledupinblu likes this.
  16. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

1/4"? You must have a pretty aggressive case of OCD.

17. Jason C

Haha! Yeah, I can be very OC about certain things and completely not care about others. I'm probably more OC about the height now simply because I'm think about the lift. Once that's done with, I'll obsess over something else, and so on. I've been looking at the Cobb FlexFuel kit and considering E85 ability, but I'm trying to avoid any power mods for now and stick to cheaper things to do.

18. JasonoJordan

Its a subaru get real there are no cheaper things to do other then not drive it haha

JuStaWRX, Jason C and Krazylegz1485 like this.
  19. 007

007 Active Member

1/4”?.. Anyway. Buy a new Crosstrek and put a turbo on it. That’s what I would have bought if it were available from Subaru instead of my new 2018 WRX. About 220 hp would have been just fine.

Krazylegz1485 likes this.
  20. Jason C

I would have been one of the first people in line for a turbo Crosstrek. I did add the 1/4" spacer in front just to satisfy my OC tendencies and it leveled out the car nicely.

Attached Files:

jubella2 and tangledupinblu like this.