Looking for car meets, and shows

Discussion in 'MNSubaru Event Center' started by Anthony_06_Sti, Apr 11, 2015.

1. Anthony_06_Sti

Anthony_06_Sti Member

So I am new out here and would love to get my car out. Looking for really any meets and shows that are going on. I live in Apple Valley. Don't mind a good drive lol.

Please post any on here. I have a couple buddy's that would like to join as well.

2. wagonsrumble

wagonsrumble Member

How far of a drive were you thinking? Cause Im trying to get some local guys together in Blaine but my car is in the shop getting exhaust done atm and hopefully will be done today or sometime tomorrow. Next week I couldnt do a meet up cause its my birthday and Im getting other ppl together for that. But the Friday after that if we could get ppl together Id be down for that. Friday and Sunday are the 2 best days for me to get together. Also theres a Tuesday night meet up that I cant make cause I work evenings but look around and youll find something that suits you

3. MinnesotaFTW

MinnesotaFTW Well-Known Member

I'd love to do a meet (Plymouth here) But I have no Subaru, or car, so I don't know if they would let me come :(

4. wagonsrumble

wagonsrumble Member

Im sure youd get a little flack from a couple guys but what you got is what you got, you cant really help it. If you really want to get a subaru then start with like a outback wagon or legacy or something like that and then work your way up to the wrx or sti cause for a good condition 02-05 stock wrx youre looking at least $4500 and thats with higher miles too.

5. MinnesotaFTW

I have the money for the two cars I'm looking at, but the problem is, I haven't been finding any near me.

6. wagonsrumble

wagonsrumble Member

Oh alright. How far are they from you?

7. Ryan FailRad

Ryan FailRad Well-Known Member

Buy Josh's bugeye (@tangledupinblu )

8. MinnesotaFTW

Not a fan of Bugeyes :/

9. Ryan FailRad

Me either, but I am a fan of the price tags

10. MinnesotaFTW

How much is he asking? I looked around the FS, didn't see a thread.

11. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

You should go to japan for max JDM yo. You can just fly there and drive it back.

atacamaR likes this.
  12. MinnesotaFTW

#AWD

13. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Bring the Acadia!

14. MinnesotaFTW

I'd bring the Audi, my dad is a lover of Subarus too :) My mom... Not so much.

Edit: Now that I think about it... The Acadia would probably be a smart choice. My dad works until 7 every day, so unless it's super late..

Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
  15. cote006

cote006 New Member

I too am looking for meets, but I'm all the way up here in St Cloud. I've gone to two meet ups since I've gotten my subie last september (the member appreciation day at RS Motors, and then the other was just a few people meeting up for a cruise but it was only like 3 of us)

Now that my car has been sitting at st cloud subaru for the past month and a half waiting for a useable used engine to get delivered that can actually be installed (we are on engine #4 now, hopefully it should be done monday), all the st cloud dudes have been meeting up, so I've had no way to get to them being as I've been without my car for the past month and a half. It's frustrating. But maybe now that the weather is nice, people will be meeting up more often.

16. Ryan FailRad

Why not build the motor?

17. cote006

cote006 New Member

money mostly! i would love to build the motor, but i also don't want to do any of that while i still owe money on the car.

but with how much just a used engine swap is costing so far, i could have spent the money a lot more.

$5900 later and maybe i'll finally get my car back assuming they don't start it and hear that it has a wicked knock or something.

18. Ryan FailRad

You could have built the motor a lot cheaper

19. derp

derp Well-Known Member

cheap, fast, reliable. Pick two, failrad.

20. cote006

cote006 New Member

this is true, but I also figure I am only still an irresponsible 21 year old haha. I don't need all that power yet!

but I totally get what you're saying. and I do think $6k is a completely ridiculous amount of money for a used engine swap, and there are some things that I think the dealership is totally screwing me over on (for instance I don't feel I should have to pay them labor to swap parts from my old engine over to the used one that it didn't come with, that should just be something they should expect to have to do when ordering a used engine from a salvage yard.) It was originally quoted to me for $4500 max out the door, but then they called thursday saying "there was a yellow warranty card on the engine that says we need to do all this work to it (timing belt, idler pulleys, timing belt tensioner, valve cover and intake gaskets, belts and hoses etc) to maintain the warranty through your work (pams auto) that we weren't accounting for earlier so that is going to raise the bill significantly for the added extra labor. we were assuming we'd be able to just get it and drop it in"

maybe I'm wrong, but I've talked to other mechanics and other people that have experience with having this type of job in and they all agree that that is a cost that shouldn't be passed on because it's work that is usually standard when ordering a used engine and should be expected to do when writing up the quote. but at this point I just want my car back and don't feel like disputing costs with everyone.

21. Sjogun

Sjogun Active Member

Well then do it yourself!!! I would want to get paid to swap over an oil pump, seal it, install new cam seals... All that, and a lot more. It's not just dropping a used engine in. That's pretty ridiculous of you to expect a technician to work on your car for free.

Ryan FailRad likes this.
  22. cote006

cote006 New Member

there's a lot more to the whole story than just that. I don't expect them to work on it for free. That's why I'm not really trying to get anything back for it, money wise. A lot of the problems and things that have gotten in the way are in no way st cloud subarus fault. They are things that went wrong on the other yards we bought the other engines from and have in turn set the whole deal back a month and a half. If anything, I would like for my own company that I work for to be crediting back some money on it because I (and subaru both) feel it is absolutely unnecessary for this engine to still be costing the same amount of money when its the third one we've had to get after being sent one that is not even the right one, and then one that was completely seized up which should have been caught before it even made it out the door, and on top of all that, it has 20k more miles on it that the previous engines. We are now putting a 140k mile engine in a 120k mile car for the same price. This is something that I will be talking to my own managers about to get straightened out.

it's just frustrating when approximately 3 months ago I brought it to them for issues it was having such as there was a fairly pronounced knock that would start when the car would get warmed up to operating temp. I dropped it off on a Friday knowing they wouldn't get to it until the following Monday. They called me saying they were done and it was ready to be picked up. They told me "we hear nothing but the usual piston slap these cars are known for, and to be honest the tech only spent a few minutes looking at it. All he did was start it up, nothing seemed out of the ordinary right away so we shut it off and finished it up." This it truly the only part where I think the dealership went wrong. I just feel that if a customer brings a car in complaining about something as serious as a knock, you should spend more than a few minutes looking at it. Take it for a test drive so that there is some sort of load on the car. When I initially brought it to them I told them that it seems to only happen under load and once the car has fully warmed up. Starting it for a few minutes and just letting it idle would do nothing to recreate the noise under the circumstances I told them it would happen. So I personally at least feel they misdiagnosed my car in the beginning, especially being as a month later it dropped a rod at the same time it happened to have the timing belt tensioner bolt snap which bent all the valves. If the problems would have been caught here, this whole deal would be a good $1500 cheaper. (Originally we were going to do a brand new short block and reuse my heads, but they didn't find out about the timing belt until the new short block arrived and then pulled the engine and took off the heads)

Granted, yes, I should have just brought the car back right away and told them that I feel as though they didn't spend enough time on it as they should have and I wanted them to take a closer look, that is my fault and I am the only one to blame for it actually failing.

I am happy though that they are working with me on the whole cost of it all. They understand I have a budget and have done everything they could to make it work. They've already lowered labor costs and are pretty much selling me all the parts at their cost, and for that I am very thankful for. I have no intentions to try and get any money out of the dealership.

This whole deal itself has just left a very sour taste in my mouth, just because it's been a month and a half that my car has been sitting in their lot, and I just want to be able to drive it again. Just given the current situation, anybody would be frustrated when you get a call every week from the shop your car is at saying they've ran into another problem and it's going to cost a lot more, or its going to take another week or whatever because we found other problems now that we started doing work on it again, or we got sent a bad engine.

I'm just a drama queen.

quick edit. as far as the comment of its not just dropping a used engine in, that's what they were originally planning on doing. They were hoping they could just get the engine delivered and put it in and send it out the door without having to do any work to it. That is at least word for word what the service writer told me. "We weren't accounting for having to do timing belt and valve cover gaskets and all these other things, but if you want to maintain the warranty through your work we have to do all those things and it raises the total cost significantly. We were planning on just getting the engine and dropping it in and sending it out. So that's why the original quote of $4500 is going up to $5900" This is the only part of what they have done that I don't understand, and this is what all the other people I have talked to that have been in the automotive industry for quite some time have all said is not normal, that they wouldn't take these things into consideration when dealing with a used engine that has likely been sitting for a few years in a warehouse.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
  23. Ryan FailRad

Should have just brought it to a performance shop and had them diagnose it. Had them build you a motor, had them put heads on it and do everything. You couldn't pay me to take it to a dealership and have them put a junkyard motor in my car.. Much less have them charge me 6000$ to bandage my car.
    Sounds like he is getting none of the three options

ScoobySnack likes this.
  24. Ryan FailRad

Btw I picked a subaru, cheap and fast mods

25. cote006

cote006 New Member

I really only brought it to the dealership because it coincidentally blew up a block away from it. Much easier to just get it towed there when you're sitting in the middle of an intersection causing a traffic jam than to figure out how to get it to a performance shop. Plus, the closest performance shop to st cloud, I believe, is in Rogers. Although I would prefer to have taken it to RS Motors because I have seen the work they do, and I know people through my sister and her boyfriend/might as well be husband at this point, that work there, as well as they're room mate Derek who used to work there.

I would have prefered to NOT have a used engine, but when I have a third party warranty paying for half the total cost, I can't be so picky. If I could go back and do it all again, I would for sure have taken a different route.

26. Ryan FailRad

You could have towed it off the lot after you got a quote from them.. Rookie mistake. Fricken kids hehehe

27. cote006

cote006 New Member

I know, I know, haha. Like I said, if I could go back and do it different, I would. Unfortunately it is too late. Good lesson learned though.

At this point, all I care about is just getting my car back.

28. Ryan FailRad

Which car is yours again?

29. cote006

cote006 New Member

I have an 03 SRP wrx sedan

30. wagonsrumble

wagonsrumble Member

Why would you want to get a used subaru engine and not know when the water pump and timing belt had been done? At least when I had my engine replaced, I had the timing belt and water pump done along with some gaskets and plugs. Not trying to be a jerk about it just do your research about the vehicle before you go out and buy it, like a turbo awd subaru you shouldve known about the timing belt and water pump before getting a new engine for the car.

tehfuzz likes this.
  31. cote006

cote006 New Member

most salvage yards don't have any maintenance records on the cars they buy being as they get them from auction, that is why virtually every single yard requires the warranty work to be done (ie timing belt and water pump etc) for the warranty to even be valid. I'm not the one who didn't think that work would need to be done. I assumed being as a dealership is doing the engine swap, they would know that with a used engine, things like those parts and gaskets should be replaced, at the very least just to be on the safe side so that I don't come back a week later with tons of leaks or anything, and figured that was included in the original quote. They are the ones who assumed they could just take an engine with unknown maintenance history and install it and call it good. With the original quote the service writer said "it will be right around $4500 worst case scenario, and thats just because we included the cost of having to replace anything" which i also assumed would be those types of parts.

If I were to being doing this myself, those are all things I would have just done it as if it was something that is just part of doing an engine swap with a used engine. Unfortunately, being as I am having my warranty I bought through the bank help out with paying for half of this, it needs to be done at a shop with certified techs.

As far as knowing when the timing belt etc was done before I bought the car itself, all of these things were done about 5k miles before I bought it. I believe the previous owner had the head gaskets, a whole timing kit, water pump, spark plugs, clutch, alternator, and a few other odds and ends all done at morries minnetonka subaru (or possibly brooklyn park, not sure. All I know is he said he has a friend that works there who did it there) and had all the paperwork to back it up in digital receipt form. I have also seen inside the timing cover and what not for myself and it all very obviously looks very new.

32. wagonsrumble

wagonsrumble Member

If the timing belt and water pump were done 6k before you bought the car then whoever did it either didnt do it right or was off a tooth or something like that for the timing belt cause the timing belts on these cars are supposed to go 60-80k. But this my first subie so I'm still learning too lol

33. cote006

cote006 New Member

yeah i have no idea! that's what i'm starting to think. Who knows, maybe the dude is new to being a technician, maybe recently graduated from school for it or something, I have no idea. All I know is that at the same time it started having knocking problems, the clutch also started to slip, which shouldn't happen with a clutch with less than 15k on it, and it had an abnormal amount of chatter as well. Abnormal as in, with a full 3inch catback exhaust essentially straight through from the cat, it isn't a quite car at idle, and you could hear clearly hear the clutch chattering over my exhaust. I think there may have been some mistakes made when it had been serviced before I bought it.

Either way, I am calming down a whole lot from going through a wave of frustration earlier. I just want my car back.

I would also just like to put this out there, I in no way intended to come off as arrogant or anything, nor was I trying to throw anyone under the bus with anything. All of my cars currently problems are all ultimately things that I could have prevented, which is why I'm not actively trying to get anything to be cheaper. I am just starting to go through withdrawals after being away from my car for so long and its making me crabby. The dealership has been very cooperative so far, and has seemed to understand that I don't have money growing on trees. They are doing everything they can to the best of their ability. It's a poor situation from everyone involved.

Ryan FailRad likes this.
  34. wagonsrumble

wagonsrumble Member

Yea thats really weird having the clutch problems at the exact same time as this happens. I just got my exhaust done and Ive got headers and a 3in downpipe from ebay then 3in straight back to a flowmaster 40. It sounds like a healthy v6 or a small v8. My car was loud with the cracked 2nd cat and bad donut gasket off the 2nd cat so it was loud by where that gasket was and kinda out of the tailpipe but now its all out the tailpipe and its decently loud. I guess the clutch slipping could occur if the previous owner didnt know how to drive a stick or beat the living tar out of it and put a stock clutch back in it. Ive got a stage 2 clutch in mine and after driving 2 dakotas that were sticks the clutch didnt effect me at all and hasnt been a issue. To me you didnt come off arrogant, youre just frustrated with whats going on with youre car and you have every right to be. I think with everything I had done to that car, Ive got about 6k+ into it. Its my daily so I cant leave it for a extended amount of time without a rental which sucks. Im not made of money either thats why Ive waited this long to do something to it. Ive ownerd the car since the begining of October and its my first subie and foreign car Ive owned too

cote006 likes this.
  35. cote006

cote006 New Member

Yeah it sucks having had to mooch rides off my girlfriend for the past month and a half to and from work. She only agreed to it because in the beginning I was only supposed to be out a car for about 2 weeks max haha. But like everything else, nothing goes according to plan!

36. Ryan FailRad

Next time it blows up, give it away and save yourself some money

37. cote006

cote006 New Member

Next time it blows up I'm having insurance total it haha. My first problem was taking out a loan for it! So if it blows up again it'll get totaled so I can get out of debt