Lucky Subaru #7

Discussion in 'The Welcome Mat' started by TMF, Dec 7, 2017.

1. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

Well I wasn't planning on getting another one, however I moved into a new position at work where I get a company car again. Lo and behold, Subaru's are now a company car option. So this was dropped off in my driveway today:

[​IMG]

2018 Outback. We are given the Premium trim, but we have the option to pay for additional options. So I opted to pay for Eyesight, nav, and moonroof.

I have become a satirical, pessimistic, begrudging Subaru addict. I've liked and owned several of them, but I'm quick to point out the faults (blown head gaskets, terrible interior quality, terrible speakers, rattles, cracked ringlands, etc). I encourage people to shop the market before settling on another Subaru.

However for once, I am actually pleasantly surprised by a Subaru. The interior quality for once feels very un-subaru-like in nature.

I'm coming from a 2016 Forester XT Touring with every option (including eyesight). However just in the short 15 minutes I've driven the car, there are quite a few improvements on the 18 Outback.

Here are some of the neatest features on the 2018:

• "Ok google"....with Android Auto, you can say "Ok Google" and Google assistant kicks in to answer questions, book calendar appointments, play music, etc. It's awesome.
    • Tire Pressure readouts!!! At last! The gauges finally offer a readout that shows the tire pressure of each tire.
    • The new Eyesight 3.0 seems to be improved (vs Eyesight 2.0 in my Forester). One nice bonus: the car will literally steer itself back into it's lane if you leave your lane. That combined with adaptive cruise...the car darn near drives itself.
    • It seems much quieter on the interior.
    • Google maps spoken directions (via Android Auto) will interrupt the regular AM/FM/XM radio. With other cars where you just have a regular bluetooth media connection, you have to have the head unit on bluetooth in order to hear the spoken directions.
    Granted this thing doesn't have it all....here are the things I already know I'll miss from the Forester:

Turbo
    Harmon Kardon Radio (the stock speakers in the Premium suck terribly..Subaru hasn't fixed that one yet).
    Turbo
    Leg room and my custom Recaro seat
    Keyless access/pushbutton start
    The center multi-function display that shows oil temp (edit...found oil temp on the Outback. It's within a screen on the head unit)
    Did I mention the turbo?
    HID headlights

Plans for my Forester? Well, either my wife is going to take it (ahem, pay me for it) or I'll be selling it outright. If you're seriously interested, hit me up.

All-in-all, no complaints thus far for a "free" car! And I feel much more comfortable recommending Subaru's to friends and family.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
  2. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Welcome home #7! I appreciate your reviews because of how picky you are...it’s an “asset”, IMO! :D

I’m surprised that they don’t offer the Harmon Kardon upgrade on the Outback’s as well.

So, do you miss the turbo?

3. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

Subarus are now a company car option...proof that Subaru is the new Toyota rather than a niche player. Good thing the car can drive itself while you flirt with the Google assistant. Does it come with remote start I hope? Couldn't get a WRX STI? It must be an interesting concept having a brand new vehicle as a company car...kind of like driving a rental car which for those of us that are anal retentive is one of the most liberating automotive experiences know to exist. Enjoy.

4. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

I don't think I'll ever understand why we can't just drive a car and pay attention to what we're doing out there anymore.

Mnelson, sneefy, MrBlue and 3 others like this.
  5. curly2k3

curly2k3 Well-Known Member

So... that seat from the Foz might be on the market?

6. skubi1

skubi1 Well-Known Member

They make you dumb and desensitized to your surroundings. I got used to my wife's backup sensors and camera (trying to sell her car), and lo and behold, stupid me back in the xt ran right into my recycling bin and dumped it all over the road. Yep, think I'll try driving for a while. All this tech in cars these days is just begging the driver to text and keep their eyes off the road.

Krazylegz1485 likes this.
  7. jubella2

jubella2 GC8 FTW

I spent a few mins inside the outback at last years auto show and I was very impressed. I hope you enjoy the new car but I'm sure you'll miss the turbo.

8. retreif

retreif Well-Known Member

Your wife pays for her cars?

Cotts612 and tangledupinblu like this.
  9. sneefy

sneefy Well-Known Member

Don't ask what the currency is.

Ctracey218 and Mnelson like this.
  10. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

Picky? Picky?! I'm not picky!!

Haha my wife agrees with you, apparently I am picky.

I have driven a lot of other cars as rental cars, so I guess I've picked up on a lot of small things that other car manufacturers do, that Subaru just simply didn't do before. I guess that makes me picky! Haha.

And you can get the Harmon Karon, but not until you get to the limited trim. That cost difference was too much for me, especially since I'll have no equity in the car.
    Because there are idiot drivers out there. And it's not that there are just pure idiots driving out there...we all have moments of idiocracy (aka not paying attention) where the safety nets can help.

However, I do get concerned about exactly this:
    I fear getting accustomed to the safety nets and then driving a car that doesn't have them.
    Yep, the seat will be on the market regardless. Hit me up if you're interested!
    Haha glad someone picked up on that. Everyone acts shocked when I say my wife might "buy" my car from me, but the reality is that we keep most of our finances separate for now. It's been working well, but now it's an odd predicament.

11. tangledupinblu

My wife and i were just discussing this last night when our friends (married couple) shared with us that their finances are separate from one another.

We both thought that it was strange, but to each their own. If i was like wtf, then I could be labeled as “picky”, and I don’t want that! Lolllol

I just mean that you have a keen eye for details and a standard of expectations that you prefer! :)

12. tangledupinblu

Also Jordan, I think that you should just get a head unit and a couole of door speakers that you can add and subtract as needed. Take them with to the #8 Subaru!?

13. JuStaWRX

JuStaWRX Well-Known Member

Congrats, man! The car looks sharp! When we were at the dealership last weekend with my parents, I sat in the '18 Outback (and the entire line up they had on the floor...) and I was also impressed with the interior! I think it's such a deceivingly large vehicle space-wise.

TMF likes this.
  14. JasonoJordan

JasonoJordan Well-Known Member

Congrats. I fear I will be onto #5 next year if this Ascent is as good in practice as it is on paper...

15. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

Yea, I always thought separate finances for married couples was an odd concept. We basically have a joint checking account for all "joint" expenses (groceries, rent, utilities, vacations, going out, etc) and a joint savings account (aka, gift money from the wedding), but we keep everything else separate. We (usually me) do discuss any personal big purchases, so I still have to answer a lot of questions as to why I have so many sets of wheels..and whether or not I really need another set of tires LOL.

I'll def be looking into upgraded speakers. I might try upgrading the speakers first, and if that's not enough, then I might do an amp. Some quick reading shows I should be able to do all of this with the stock head unit.
    If the Ascent is anything like the Outback, it should be pretty good. It's a new chassis and a new motor in the Ascent though, so if it were me, I'd give them a couple years to work out the kinks.

I drove the Outback almost 1,000 miles this past weekend (Chicago and back) and I will say, this new version of Eyesight is MUCH improved, esp the adaptive cruise. The car reacts much faster to the vehicle in front of you...the Forester can have moments where you're wondering if the adaptive cruise is actually going to slow down, and then it hits the brakes fairly hard. I haven't had any close calls, but it definitely still makes you pay attention. The Outback slows down (and speeds up) much earlier and is just more fluid in general.

tangledupinblu likes this.
  16. JasonoJordan

JasonoJordan Well-Known Member

Well being a 1st year adopter of the BRZ mehhh **** it lol.

tangledupinblu likes this.
  17. tangledupinblu

Makes it harder for her to track the “hookers and blow” spending while on your out of towners! Lolol:thumbup:

pillboy likes this.
  18. 007

007 Active Member

A7938DFE-E7DA-4805-9C3E-DF184C583EF9.jpeg I just brought home #5. Brand new 2018 WRX premium.
    Second WRX.
    2 Foresters
    1 Legacy Outback.

JuStaWRX and tangledupinblu like this.
  19. klutz

klutz Well-Known Member

YOU can. The idiots who are texting, doing crossword puzzles, shaving, putting on make-up, etc. are the ones not to be trusted. It's amazing how many people are completely oblivious to what's going on around them when driving. It used to be exception and now sadly it's the norm.

I say give the masses the help to keep them in their lanes, I'll keep driving on my own.

Krazylegz1485 likes this.
  20. drac77

drac77 Well-Known Member

Maybe it has more to do with the company being in a snowbelt state than not being "niche" anymore..

21. drac77

drac77 Well-Known Member

Separate finances an "odd" concept? LOL. Never had a joint checking account, never will. As long as the mortgage is paid and the lights are on, no questions are asked. I pay all the bills, she buys all the groceries and pays for school and medical expenses and clothes for the kids and her car payment. Works well for me. Nothing strange about it. Oh yeah, she also covers vacations/travel.

TMF and Krazylegz1485 like this.
  22. tangledupinblu

Sugar momma!? Noice!