May have found some help. 05 LGT security issue.

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by Terry Ammerman, Apr 5, 2014.

1. Terry Ammerman

Terry Ammerman Well-Known Member

For those of you who are familiar with my LGT problem, I think I may have found some help. My BIL lives down by Mankato and asked around for me. Found a guy in ST Peter MN who is up for the challenge. I need to find a time to trailer it down.
    He says he works at a car facility and his specialty is wiring. Tony is his name is all I know. We talked on the phone and seems to be intrigued by my specific set of issues.

Foe those of you not aware of my nightmare here is a link to one of the threads.
    Terry

http://mnsubaru.com/threads/05-lgt-on-its-menstrual-cycle-again.44153/page-3#post-739759

tangledupinblu, Nhibbs and CarpalTomO like this.
  2. CarpalTomO

CarpalTomO Well-Known Member

Crossing my fingers for you, Tony!

Terry Ammerman likes this.
  3. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

Glad you found another resource...I hope it all works out!

Terry Ammerman and Ctracey218 like this.
  4. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

Good luck finding the gremlins and ghouls! If this doesn't work I would suggest a seance and an exorcism.

5. derp

derp Well-Known Member

*channels brian*

Gallon of gas and a road flare

/brian

6. spudd

spudd Well-Known Member

Best of luck to you!!!

7. Terry Ammerman

Dropped off the car in upper North Mankato this am. Tony seemed to be pretty excited. Said he loves the challenge. He moved way, way up on the list of people I really like right now.

8. derp

derp Well-Known Member

So... Tony has gas and road flares?

9. Terry Ammerman

We can only hope.

10. CarpalTomO

CarpalTomO Well-Known Member

Any updates for us?

11. Terry Ammerman

I called him a week ago and touched base. After I dropped the car off it started and ran just fine for 4 days or so. Then it started it's sane old crap. He has a couple of ideas, but so far no solution. Tony admits this one is puzzling. I have heard that numerous times. Told him I'm in no rush, just see what he can find. I haven't used the car for about a year now, a few more weeks won't hurt much.
    Terry

Nhibbs and CarpalTomO like this.
  12. derp

derp Well-Known Member

you are strangely attached to this car.

13. Terry Ammerman

I have too much invested and I need a car to drive.

14. derp

derp Well-Known Member

Time for a daily?

15. Terry Ammerman

That's what this is supposed to be.

16. Terry Ammerman

Little more news. I picked up the car from Mankato on Saturday June 21. Tony checked everything he was able to get into with his scan tools. The Subaru scan tool is very expensive and basically available to dealers only. He really could not identify or isolate the problem. I get in the car and try to start and it fires right up. Tony just about fell over. He stated that is the first time the car has ran since I dropped it off. Got it home and unloaded. Can't say why, but it has continued to start and stay running ever since. The seat belt chime is also STAYING cancelled, something that has NEVER happened before. Every other time I have cancelled it, it resets itself after the key is pulled. Time will tell, but I need to change my header (flex section blew out) and I'm gonna try to drive it. Wish me luck.
    Would like to through out a big thank you to everyone who has contributed to this thread/problem.
    Terry

17. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

Thanks for the update! That is really weird...I hope it doesn't come back!

18. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

I've been wondering about this but have been too lazy to search. Good luck. Might want to throw a road flare in the trunk just in case.

19. EricS

EricS Nooberator

Terry, if it starts happening again, if you ever want to get a couple people together on the weekend with some food & beer to attack this mother, I've debugged crazy electronics issues on aircraft etc. There's a bunch of engineers on this board, some of us could come over with some lab instruments borrowed from work and go to town ... You down @Nhibbs et. al. ?

20. Terry Ammerman

Well it's back.

21. pillboy

That didn't take long. :(

22. EricS

EricS Nooberator

Ugh, where's the 'dislike' button :( I'm serious with my offer above, let me know if I can help.

23. Terry Ammerman

I will absolutely take any and all help. I don't know where to go next. Either it meets with an unfortunate accident, or I start swapping out the wiring harness.

24. EricS

EricS Nooberator

OK, well throw out some times that you might want to work on it, probably best on the weekend when there's an extended period to fool around with it. This is a 5MT car right? Was it always, or did it originally have an automatic? My biggest hope is that it's the Neutral Position Safety Switch. Your generation of Legacy has tons of reported problems with this switch, just do a web search. It can cause symptoms very similar to what you're describing. Try looking it up on Google and see what you can find, you might be able to find instructions how to jumper it out temporarily to verify/rule it out as the cause... That would be sweet : ) Otherwise it might be helpful to plumb in a cheap fuel pressure gauge under the hood, because that could be a problem too. Or a dirty/bad IACV.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
  25. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

Yeah at this point it is hard to speculate the cause because I am sure one of the 10 people to troubleshoot the car so far have probably checked all the usual suspects. But who knows!

EricS likes this.
  26. EricS

EricS Nooberator

Just edited my last post, I meant to say Neutral Position Switch instead of Safety Switch. It's the one on the tranny.

phi11 likes this.
  27. EricS

EricS Nooberator

This is a crazy thought, but since this a car that's been modified/diagnosed a bunch, have you checked to make sure the green 'test mode' connectors under the glovebox (tucked under carpet I believe) are not connected? That can cause this type of symptom....

Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
  28. JasonoJordan

JasonoJordan Well-Known Member

Ive never had the test connectors do that before. Ive accidentally left them hooked up before after flashing a map and it started and ran just fine other then the flashing cel.

29. EricS

EricS Nooberator

OK, I was just going off what some people said on the internet, you know how reliable that is ;) Maybe it depends on the year/model/etc due to different ECUs.

30. pillboy

With all of the components that have been replaced already, I have to put my money on a broken wire or a harness connector that is having an intermittent continuity failure.

JasonoJordan likes this.
  31. Nuke

Nuke Well-Known Member

You can start and drive with green connectors plugged in. Fans would cycle constantly. It'll run kinda poopy

This car was acting a bit different.

32. derp

derp Well-Known Member

acting like it needs a gallon of gas, a road flare, and a motivated individual....

33. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

I think 5 gallons of gas and some tannerite targets would be a more fun way to send it off to the next world.

EricS likes this.
  34. Terry Ammerman

need to install a junk engine before the fireworks begin.

tangledupinblu likes this.
  35. Terry Ammerman

Well I might be on to something thanks to EricS. He sent me a link to a Forester thread and it mentioned the neutral position switch being a problem with some Foresters. I unplugged the neutral position switch and the reverse switch on the back of the transmission and for three consecutive days now the car has been running without flaw. Seems to idle smoother than it ever has and the little stumble/hiccup at about 35mph in third gear has disappeared. I'm very hopeful, but still don't want to attempt ant cross country trip. I was making plans last weekend to move it to the back of the garage to begin replacing the complete wiring harness. I would have really been pissed had I gone through all that trouble and the problem would have still existed. I never would have even thought to look to a neutral switch to solve my security light issue. Thanks again everyone for all of your input and wish me luck.

TMF, EricS, phi11 and 1 other person like this.
  36. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

Awesome to hear! Eric...you're a genius! I sincerely hope that this solves the issue.

37. pillboy

I want to see this thing go at least a few weeks before I call Eric a genius. If it does, I will be the second to call him one. Here's hoping for Terry's sake (I hope I don't jinx it).

EricS likes this.
  38. Terry Ammerman

All is still well. On the way home tonight it threw a code for the park/neutral position circuit high. Sure damn thing won't throw a code for over a year with a faulty switch, but disconnect it and right away it comes on. Oh well easy fix. On a more positive note, I am really starting to love my car all over again. I had forgotten how much fun a 350whp car could be.

CarpalTomO, phi11, TMF and 2 others like this.
  39. pillboy

Maybe the failure of the switch is the "other" position and a fault code is set for only one type of failure and not the other.