Mini-lathe fun

Discussion in 'Photo & Video Gallery' started by ejholmgren, Jan 16, 2014.

1. ejholmgren

ejholmgren Member

Now that I am back in school out in SD for mechanical engineering, I figured that I'd better learn me some basic machining to add insight before my dumb ass graduates and starts designing impossible to manufacture parts. While the program at SDSMT is about as hands on as you want it (joined SAE mini baja and did full machine shop training last semester), you are obviously not allowed to do personal projects in any of the labs.

Queue the 7x12 Harbor Freight mini-lathe that is the counterpart to the mini-mill that I've always lusted after. Initially wanting the mill, I ordered the lathe instead when it was on sale, managed to snag a 25% coupon, and get $6.99 shipping to boot. I figured that with a lathe being something I knew absolutely nothing about, it would be a pretty fun challenge to try and figure out.

Every little thing that people complain about on these lathes is absolutely true, but with a little love they can become somewhat serviceable if used with the machine's limitations in mind.

I initially just started goofing around with some 1" 6061 (turning down, facing, grooves, tapers)...

[​IMG]

Moved on to making a fly tying hair stacker ( drilling, boring, inside and outside tapers)...

[​IMG]

Most recently, decided that the foz needed a new silly shift knob ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yanked it back off, made two more, and then polished them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yay shiny?

2. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

I want one

3. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

I guess you won't be driving without gloves when it is 20 below. Just don't lick it.

boone1186 likes this.
  4. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

Meh, I have a very heavy metal shift knob too and it really isn't a problem no matter how cold and I don't wear gloves.
    You only touch the knob for a split second every so often and it really doesn't take that long to warm up. My hands honestly get colder from touching the steering wheel than the shift knob simply because you have to constantly touch it.

5. StanmoXT

StanmoXT Well-Known Member

the OP has a auto... you dont really need to touch that much while driving, should be fine.

ofspunk7 and Ntxhuav_Khang like this.
  6. ejholmgren

ejholmgren Member

Lol ... that bugger was cold yesterday when it was 30F outside :bounce:

7. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

Doh! PRNDL pwns me.

8. ejholmgren

ejholmgren Member

Now with 100% more brass! Had a few inches of 1" stock from a previous project and thought I'd give it a try

[​IMG]

Sucker is weighty ... bet I could get my hand stuck to it if it ever drops back down to -20F again.

9. jas3087

jas3087 Well-Known Member

How much for a manual knob??

10. Gridlocked

Gridlocked Well-Known Member

WOOT!

11. ejholmgren

ejholmgren Member

Not selling at the moment as I am not geared up for production quite yet and do not have vendor status. Will let people know if and when that happens. Both Gridlocked and PaulasaurusWRX have test knobs for their Outback hoopties now though. :D

12. Ryan FailRad

Ryan FailRad Well-Known Member

Do these thread/screw on? If so what's the thread and it's pitch? This is for a similar project.

13. toyotanos

toyotanos Well-Known Member

My WRX has M12x1.25 for the shift knob threads. For what it's worth, my Supra uses the same thread.

If you end up making another brass knob that you can't seem to get rid of, I'd like to try one on the Supra for drag racing- the whole 'weighted shifter' thing has me wondering.

14. ejholmgren

ejholmgren Member

I believe MT is M12x1.25 and AT is M10x1.25

15. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

Me too...

[​IMG]