Minnesota Subaru Club Task Force

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by Justin, Feb 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aegis

Aegis TAKE IT!

I would donate if there was a donate button to donate with :p

2. Bielke55

Bielke55 Well-Known Member

I, Brian Bielke(55) can get a dirt cheap rate on a banquet room for meetings and such. Any food and beverage could be extra. But still discounted. S you can count me in for the task force.

3. curly2k3

curly2k3 Well-Known Member

i would get a card, ect... whenever i am down there to deal with it. how are we going to run these cards anyways, potentially try to get them done asap?

4. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

Those bots help us stay at the top of the list for web searches. They are a good thing to have.

We are not that close to moving, but that will be the next step when the day comes. We have only been running on the upgraded server for a year now, and everything is fine. When the time comes for a server upgrade, it will be known.

I wouldn't bother. Nothing needs to be done about it now.

Russ

5. Aegis

Aegis TAKE IT!

Also - if you wish, ban the bots and then go to google and try to run a search for "minnesota subaru" - I bet the threads would still show. Google (and most other search engines) base their results on what is in the header of your site, not on where their bots are hanging out. it is INCORRECT to assume that the bots are helping you. They did NOT exist before google made their IPO.

6. Aegis

Aegis TAKE IT!

Fine, I give up. I only used to run my own webservers for the last 6 years or so, but I don't know anything.

7. curly2k3

settle down, lets not flair tempers here

8. Dynapar

Dynapar Well-Known Member

Well if the LLC thing is going down in 1 month. I think that it is very important that we setup/determine guidelines to protect the club, and it's image. Since it will be a legal entity we will need to watch ourselves more carefully. agreed?

9. AWDimprezaL

AWDimprezaL has more posts than you

am i the only one that thinks this is a better idea then a smelly cramped shop? we are alot bigger now then in past years.

10. curly2k3

yeah we would need to set down the law and if thats the case, i think we should make the new sub-forums or whatever you decided to do sooner than later

11. Aegis

Aegis TAKE IT!

It's alright, I want the same thing everyone else does. I'd like to see this place have more direction than just "a place I hang out cause everyone drives the same car I do"

12. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

Again, this post is totally blind siding the mod crew. Half of these things are on the list of getting done. MOst of these things are currently being worked on. The idea is to have some concrete info for everyone at the meeting so we have numbers so the group and make the decisions.

No offense Justin, but you starting this thread isn't really helping things right now. You are creating a 2nd list of things that are already being worked on. I appreciate you willingness to help, but we were working more on the idea to get our list of things that need to be done, get numbers for the things that need numbers, and present this to the group and go from there. Once we had some of the backround work taken care of, we would have more info on what/who needs help to get certain tasks done. Again, not bad feelings, just creating more of a hassle on our end. Wether people believe it or not, things are getting done, but certain things can not be done over night.

Russ

13. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

But the smelly cramped garage has a lift for looking at cars (you know, the reason we are here in the first place).

Russ

14. curly2k3

i think it is beneficial to the members so we can see what is planned to happen, i think with a little member push the items would get done in a timely manor and the general members could see the progress for the site.

again, i was just saying i would buy the card or whatever whenever i needed to, i use the Tonka Subaru dealer for parts and wouldnt want to miss out.

i honestly would like to see the club grow into something a little more, but i have stated that elsewhere and it really has no merit here

15. Aegis

Aegis TAKE IT!

I think Justin created this because he wanted everyone on the site to have some input on it, so that all of the active members can see progress and actual results. If you're working on this, why not make an announcement thread so that everyone can see it's happening? If it is happening in the admin section, we can't see that. I am also not trying to make enemies, but that is how this looks from my standpoint. We just don't believe you because we see no proof.

Edit: curly beat me to it :p

16. AWDimprezaL

I am talking about MEETING, when have we looked at cars at the yearly meeting?

17. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Sorry Russ and mods, not the intentions I assure you.

18. Dynapar

I am just going to throw this out there.

Perhaps it would be wise to wait (hear me out) to get this time line established until after the next identifix (or where ever it is going to be held) meet. This would allow for everyone to get on the same page and from that point we can set out to fulfill the time line and divide up duties ect... It seems like right now some of the priorities are mis aligned, and we have multiple people doing the same thing in different places/ways.

As far as I know (I havent been able to be on here a ton lately) the next meeting date is up in the air. It sounds like we have alot of motivation to get together soon and hammer out this stuff so that we can set forth as one, with one goal and means in common and not disjointed like a 3 headed rooster.

again it would mean delaying your timeline, but IMO it would be better in the long run since we could act as a more unified entity.

19. Bielke55

Bielke55 Well-Known Member

Here is the prime example of "I don't need the clubs help. I can do it myself by 2010..."....

20. Dynapar

It was briefly displayed here: http://www.mnsubaru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22091

21. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Well-Known Member

I thought the website was supposed to be separate from the "club." Russ, I believe you even stated that the two should be separate.

It sounds to me like Justin is promoting the "club" creation. Which would entail the LLC, as well as officers, donations/paid membership, etc. To my understanding, the club would be affiliated with MNSubaru.com forums, but be free to conduct business as the officers saw fit.

Honestly, with the amount of active and involved members right now, it seems like a great idea. Especially if these guys want to take a direct hand in getting stuff done, I think it is a distinct step in the right direction.

Justin - I think your timetable looks good. Once the "club" is created and officers are elected, I think we'll be in better shape to determine what we can request regarding income/funds, and then take that one step at a time.

Regarding the LLC vs NPO argument. I think we all understand that getting together $2k to fund the paperwork for the NPO isn't going to happen. We may get to that point down the road a bit, but in the interest in getting the ball rolling the LLC makes much more sense. It may not be the right way to do it, but it's a step in the right direction.

22. slobright

slobright New Member

something that may work try and set up a dvd of all the meets excursions etc and sell it all the money could right back into the club excluding video cost which would be nomial i mean i know there is people with nice cameras and i have a friend who is a filmer has a hd camera and another friend who is a profesional editor just something to generate some income for the club

23. Dynapar

Very true. the issue that I see here is that everyone see the forum as the club. it has just gotten that way since we all come on here to chat and there are only a few meets where we actually get together. seperating the boards from the club will be very difficult and will take alot of time but the distinction should be made. the club is more than a url.

24. Aegis

Aegis TAKE IT!

Yes, Dynapar, I agree... but the meeting should be open to all members, and THEN you mods can take the ideas from the first meeting, and have a second meeting. This will ensure that it doesn't turn into a "us vs you" type of thing in the future. I think that is why a lot of us are so angry right now. It seems that these meetings are occuring in "secret" and it sets a type of "this is how it's going to be done, screw you if you don't like it" feeling when we see threads like that "Results of the Moderator Meeting" one. I didn't know it was going on, if I did, I would have offered suggestions that may or may not have helped you.

I think a lot of us have talents that would help the club out in the long run. Me? I make pretty pictures. Fondune, for example, can design flyers and websites (which he does for a living). That's just a tiny bit of what we're all capable of doing.

25. Dynapar

Good idea. Urabus vids, has been going to events and gathering footage with the end goal of creating a compilation video. however it takes alot of time and alot more footage to create a dvd worth watching. this is a good goal, but it will take some time to come to fruition.

26. Bullwinkle

Yeah, you're right, this is a very hard distinction to make. However, if you have a mnsubaru club that handles the money and puts together events, I think we can fairly easily keep the administration of that separate from the website. Both can and will be associated with each other, but at this point I simply see it as a separation of the administration.

I see it as one set of members running the website, and another running the club (taking/organizing events, coordinating money/donations/clubcards, etc). We're all on the same side, just different groups of people doing different things.

27. readymix

readymix ...Lest ye be trod upon... Staff Member

Personally, I don't care about the Identifix Meeting. It hasn't produced anything thus far, so I'm not wasting my time with it. I'd rather spend what little time I have actually doing something rather than listening to people talk about what we may do in the future.

The planning stage should have ended in 2006. The point of this thread was to move on from teh planning stage. We know what the meeting is about, since we've had the meeting twice already.

28. Dynapar

you are completely right. Part of this problem stems from the fact that the mods have very hectic and different schedules which leads to sporadic times being setup for mod meetings (often short notice). It is however something to work on. suggestions are always welcome.

this thread is moving insanely fast. by the time i can quote and right a decent response there are 3 more posts i want to respond to.

29. AWDimprezaL

i was gonna say the same thing, the only reason it will work itself out in these next couple of months is because now you will scramble to get things done because you dont want anyone from outside of the mnsubaru team to help.

30. TSTRBOY2004

TSTRBOY2004 Well-Known Member

$$$ been there done that... everyone thinks setting up a LLC is a piece of piss... we set up 2 for our business venture.. one for us and one for the operating company.. so if we got sued as Meineke we wouldnt lose our assets as Dreamseed... everyone thinks they know more then they do sometimes... and yes it was expensive if you wanna do it right and cover your arses...

helloooo can we say... FEEEEEEES for membership ;)

way to step up Justin... at first I was like great here we go again, but this is a good step...

31. Dynapar

I am not recommending the standard meeting. It seems like before it was: "free pizza!....eat....eat...listen....rally something.....eat.....llc......hoodies......gone".

The meetings are there to be used by us for the club. we can be as productive as we want. It just so happens that the first one was well the first one and more introductory, the last one was at a strange time when the sites split. This meeting shouldnt be a planning meeting, we should do something. We should determine what leadership positions we want in the club and what their roles should be. Meeting in person seems a hell of alot more productive to figuring this crap out then having a thread that 8 billion pages long full of the same stuff and occasional new bits that get lost in the blah.

We want to make the club seperate from the forums. creating the club on the forums is not helping us do this. getting together in person, as a club is a step in the right direction.

32. Aegis

Aegis TAKE IT!

I think making the board look better would be beneficial. there is SO much that vbulletin can do. Also, please fix the "events" section on the front page so that it links to actual threads in the calendar, and fix the spelling error. It's "coming" not "comming"

And if you can make the left hand pane display most recently updated threads, it would help. Not just new ones that have been started. I just spent a bunch of time looking at the site and I think a few minor tweaks here and there could make this site stunning. Right now, it's very plain. Like fresh out of the box vbulletin. Seriously. It wouldn't take much. I can do it, but I know you'd never put me in charge of such things (even though I am unemployed and have a bunch of time on my hands - it will never happen)

And there is no "site split" dynapar (I have no idea if this is relevant but I can only guess it is), t3hw00t.com is for a close-knit group of friends... who just want to say what they are going to say. It's an offtopic forum, like offtopic.com was before it went to ****. Notice how most of the members of t3hw00t are also members of mnsubaru. We would be more than happy to be post over and be affiliated with mnsubaru as long as there was no bias. There is no need for animosity, and I think that most of the t3hw00t members who are also here would love to see mnsubaru (the place that t3hw00t was born from) grow and prosper.

33. Dynapar

This has come up before. It was quite a while ago however. The whole argument to keeping the site simple is to be kind to those members who do not have high speed internet. there are still a few of them. Chux for one is stuck dialing in, Rich was too the last time this was discussed. it could be time for change though.

Is all this site discussion pertinent to the formation of the club? not to pick on people, but if we put all these new improvement ideas in the website suggestions forum; this thread will flow better.

34. readymix

The site split he is talking about is MNSubaru vs MNSubaruClub. But he had the time line wrong in that the sites split and then the first meeting happened. 2006 was the site split and the first meeting. And nothing has happened at any of the meetings.

And yes, t3hw00t proudly displayed MNSubaru's link on the main page before all the bull**** from everyone blaming us for issues. If you can get over that, we'd be more than happy to provide you with some added Google Ranking by linking to you on the main page again. Provided you stop blaming us for your problems. You can talk to Prezawagon all about it since I sent him a PM last time the discussion came up.

35. Dynapar

I know that t3hw00t is a good place. I was reffering to the mnsubaruclub site split. the time when there were two MNSubaru.com websites. that was a real mess. I was posting on 2 forums and didnt know it.

36. readymix

The site suggestions forum has been used, it didn't work as well as it was supposed to. The front page has been brought up numerous times with no changes.

37. TSTRBOY2004

TSTRBOY2004 Well-Known Member

and they can sit at the front table in robes and hoods.... burning crosses... ok that didnt help.. but again this thread is going down teh poop chute with arguments...

we are all agreed to move forward...

I htink Aegis has a point... A big meeting for all who can attend with a simple agenda... round table so to speak, hear from the laymen... then the BigShots can get together and eliminate time waster ideas, and lay out some good ideas to be hashed out by people and organised etc etc, then either post a poll online with the decisions or ideas, or hold another meeting within a month and go through it all...

but it will only be productive if all who attend can remain civilised and focussed.. so curly no canola oil and diapers... it's too distracting

38. Dynapar

wow 80 something posts already in this thread. it kind of feels like we are getting somewhere. Lets keep this going in a productive fashion.

I am out for now. only running on 3 hours of sleep (none of which were connected)

p.s. this is post 7,999

39. slobright

slobright New Member

yeah my friend does that stuff all the time and he would be able to work with him make one yearly of all the stuff that happens.

40. Bullwinkle

Ok, let's try to keep this on topic.

Is everything thinking the same thing as I am regarding a "club" creation?

Quoted from above:

Honestly I think this is the way MNSubaru works right now, just with no actual organization and money on the event side.

41. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

I'm with ya Nate. This is why I started a thread long ago about "membership fees". Just want the "club" to become something more...the forum needs some tweaking, but that's another topic.;)

42. curly2k3

but i think its legit to talk about it and where we want to go with it here

43. bummpy

bummpy New Member

I think I'm seeing where people may think I'm "against all this."

I think my interest in the boards has been just that, interest in the boards. My interest in an actual car club is much less than my interest in the message board. I seriously try to make it out to stuff when I can, but I've had to be much more realistic with myself as to what kind of free time I have available for car stuff.

I'm not saying this to put any of these ideas down. I'm just hoping it sheds a little more light into some of the different perspectives board members might have.

Would it be constructive to do an open pull to see how many people are interested in a club in the first place?

Although, I guess I/we would have to keep in mind that most people who are interested in creating a club are typically the most active users too (i.e. the results would be biased towards active users because less active users would probably not vote in very high numbers).

Just a thought.

44. Bullwinkle

Yeah, I think you hit part of it spot on. There are a lot of people who are members of MNSubaru simply because they can just come and go as they please, and I'm sure there are a ton of people who just lurk and don't post very often.

Obviously, a club with money involved is going to have less actual members. If you use a model that allows for donations and/or voluntary membership purchasing (say, they get you a discount at certain events if you're a "club" member).

I think you can have both the public and open MNSubaru forums, and a club that organizes events, outings, etc. Everyone gets what they want.

45. Justin

Justin Well-Known Member

wow, this is going great guys. i was out playing with the guys in the snow so i havent even had a chance to ready through all the posts. i'm going to do it tonight and i will be updating the first post with all of the info(ex, list of people that are good at doing things like making websites, flyers, people that have connections for meeting spots) and what some opinions are.

seriously guys, i couldnt have asked for more with this thread so far. its very constructive which is great.

look for first post updates to come(after i get the snow vids up for the guys lol).

Justin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.