MN: places to check out?

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by imported_n/a, Aug 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. imported_n/a

imported_n/a Guest

I'm down in the twin cities at the end of the month 2 days before the Ojibwe rally and I wanted to know if there were any places I should check out.

I'm looking for vacationy type places.

I'm going to be visiting mall of america, but I'd to see what else Minnesota offers.

Also any import shops worth checking out?
    and, if anybody knows of some nice sneaker shops, it would be appreciated. I'm mainly looking for nike airforce 1's, dunks, puma speedcats and other rare types.

TIA!

2. morganm

morganm New Member

Down town Minneapolis is very cool. You can take a bus from the Mall of American directly to Nicollete Mall (down town Minne) or the new light rail from Fort Snelling. Lots of nice shops and places to eat. If you dont like walking on street level there is a very extensive skyway that goes between all the major buildings.

3. kickin_81

kickin_81 Well-Known Member

If you're looking for some sneakers, the MOA should have what you're looking for. If you spend a whole day at the MOA, you'll hate shopping. Period. If you want to spend the night at a club, hook up with some girls you see at the MOA and request a night in Minneapolis' clubs with them.

A word of caution: I don't like shopping, and I don't go clubbing unless some hot chicks want me to go. (rarely happens)

4. RallyNavvie

RallyNavvie Well-Known Member

Como Park is one of my favorite attractions in the Cities. The zoo may be a bit depressing and the conservatory a bit small but they're still pretty interesting places. Finally got a chance to go down there Friday afternoon for the first time in years. Or are you looking for indoor locations?

5. imported_n/a

imported_n/a Guest

Thanx for your help so far. All have been helpful. I've been to MOA numerous times, but what I'm looking for is like little boutique stores for sneakers say around downtown or Hennepin. I want the rare stuff when it comes to sneakers.

The zoo sounds interesting. I'm up for anything indoor or outdoorsy. Keep'em coming.

Are any of you guys convoying up to Bemidji for the rally that weekend?

6. tbone

tbone Well-Known Member

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by kickin_81

If you're looking for some sneakers, the MOA should have what you're looking for. If you spend a whole day at the MOA, you'll hate shopping. Period. If you want to spend the night at a club, hook up with some girls you see at the MOA and request a night in Minneapolis' clubs with them.

A word of caution: I don't like shopping, and I don't go clubbing unless some hot chicks want me to go. (rarely happens)
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    That's more girls activity bro:X

7. DISCOPOPE

DISCOPOPE Well-Known Member

enrichment,
    walker art center,
    mpls institue of arts,
    u of m arbiratom (sp) in chanhassn.
    big island (if you have a boat, beer, and a day to hang out) lake mntnka.
    uptown/lake harriet/calhoon etc. good for biking, skating arround.

places to go at night:
    downtown. the entire warehouse/target center area is good for drinks.
    eat at oragami for sushi, oceanaire for seafood, palamino does decently, cheaper route, there is an italliani's or something right near block e that is pretty good for what it is.
    sawatdee does well.

northeast mpls:
    22nd street station :) topless dive.
    grumpy, gusthof's, nyi's... keegan's
    eat at the modern, gardens of salonica and holy land.

out west:
    the narrow's bar, red rooster in long lake...
    el azteca mexican in plymouth is suprisingly engoyable. there is an oragami in ridgedale, and the new north coast place in wayazata is super nice. really well done raw bar, and it's right on the lake. (old boatworks building)
    oh yeah and all of the middle aged plasticized single women looking for balding, insecure C.E.O.s can be found at the redstone in ridgedale.. go for the amusement, stay for the mashed potatoes, and awsome prime rib.
    axle's is great food, but it's freaking half way to motana..

south mpls,
    joe's chicken shack (see also hole in the wall) for cheap 3.2 beer, pool, greasy food, and a juke box with mostly creedence, cash, elvis and the doobie brothers, hit this place if you go to the art institute.
    little t's mexican food,
    porters for beers.
    quan's (sp) on nicolet. asian food. (awsome steamed dumpling with quail egs for < $2!!!)
    you can't visit without stopping at the world famous cc club..

uptown:
    food wise, chino latino is awsome.
    and chang mai thai cafe.
    uptown bar used to be alot cooler, but it's ok now for a sandwich and a beer.

i dont go to st. paul at all, cant help you there.

8. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

I will be heading up for the rally. We (Girlfiend and myself) work the rally every year. After last year, that is about the only way to get some good views. We might have to meet up some place for dinner one night (or lunch if they end up being late night stages).

Russ

9. Musashi

Musashi Well-Known Member

Allan,

If your going to MOA, dont forget Hooter..... and Ikea right across the street!

Welcome!

C

10. imported_n/a

imported_n/a Guest

Discopope: Thank you! I will definetly be checking some of those places out there.

WRX1: I'm game if you want to meet up. I'll be with my g/f and another fellow Canadian Scoobie owner.

Mushashi: They built an IKEA by MOA? Wow. I'm there.

11. android

android Guest

Discopope has it right. That is what you want to check when in the twin cities. I will also be going to the Rally with my son and GF (maybe my buddy with his STI). I think we were trying to line up a lunch or dinner with some of the members. I'll dig up the old post and bump it up in the events listing.

12. 1SIKWRX

1SIKWRX New Member

Fridays go to ESCAPE

Thurs go to QUEST

thats for night scenes..thats really poppin.

13. Musashi

Musashi Well-Known Member

Welcome John! :D

14. imported_n/a

imported_n/a Guest

Any Brazilian BBQ or Korean BBQ restaurants?

15. mixed_menace

mixed_menace Guest

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by grandmasterchan

Any Brazilian BBQ or Korean BBQ restaurants?
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

mmmm brazilian....waxes that is..on females..not on you GMC.[xx(]

16. kickin_81

kickin_81 Well-Known Member

17. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

Ya, we can meet up for some lunch/dinner. I know that we are going to work the rally, so we will have a workers meeting to do when we get up there. If you guys haven't been to the rally before, after last year, the only way to get to see some good spots is by working. I know last year they only have 2-3 spectator spots per night. We always do the course marshal and just sit back and watch some cars.

Russ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.