MN tint b.s.

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by whipsack, Mar 19, 2009.

1. whipsack

whipsack Well-Known Member

Had my windows tinted 35% now for almost a year and a half. I have Driven by a buttload of cops all over, never any problems. I work in E.P. off hwy 5, if any of you have been over there, you know the cops are constantly pulling people over there. I drive that same way everyday. Got a tint ticket today, this sucks. Worst part is, I have seen him lots of times before, I have to drive the same way, there is only one way to get to my office, I don't want him to see me 2 mo. from now and go "Hey, there's that Subaru s.o.b. I'm gonna give him another ticket!" This really sucks. In my defense, in my car at night the glare from other drivers behind me is really bad without tint, especially if they have HID's. Anybody know how hard it is to get an exemption from an eye doctor?

2. SubiDG

SubiDG Member

ya just tell the doctor your eyes are sensative to sunlight.. they will give you a note

or when you see a cop roll your windows down and smile at them

3. ShortytheFirefighter

ShortytheFirefighter Pokemans. I has none. Staff Member

It's probably going to be an uphill fight to get any kind of doctors exemption for window tint, from what I've heard it's almost impossible.

If you knew you were driving around with illegal tint, why is it a surprise that you got pulled over and ticketed?

4. whipsack

How well do the notes from the doctor work? Are they pretty much a get out of jail free card?

5. yangsTa

yangsTa Well-Known Member

Not that hard to get a docs note. EP cops are very strict!

6. SubiDG

SubiDG Member

yep...

7. putz

putz Well-Known Member

I have a freind that has the medical exemption for tint, as a ginger kid I could prolly get one too, but....

for some reason I never seem to get pulled over... I get followed, but never pulled over (crosses fingers) hope to keep it that way!

8. Paul Revere

Paul Revere BANNED

Lemme guess black Durango with black ass windows? Oh and hi Hans its been awhile.

9. whipsack

You're right Brian, I know it's illegal tint. I only know of one other person that has been stopped with 35%. The suprise is that if police are so concerned with it you would think they would be pulling people over for it more, including me. There's nothing I can do about that part now, I have the ticket. Mainly just venting :mad: and then asking about the eye doctor exmption. :iconpolice:

10. whipsack

Nope, Old bald guy, silver Impala, no spotlight, cherries above the passenger side visor. I have seen the Durango lots of times too. I drive by all these guys all the time,never been harrassed, my office is right by city hall, as you probably know. Hi, Chet! How's it hanging? :biggthumpup:

11. Scuba Steve

Scuba Steve Well-Known Member

:laugh: look at your ticket, was it badge #32?

12. whipsack

No it wasn't. Is that Durango man?

13. ShortytheFirefighter

Keep in mind, if you do go for the medical exemption it'll be a prescription and if your tint isn't done according to the prescription it'll still be illegal. Also, it may be something that would show up on your license, like corrective lenses etc. I'm sure if you look around on here you'll find plenty of people who've been pulled over for tint, especially in the EP area.

14. whipsack

Crap. I can't afford to keep getting pulled over, and I won't be quiting my job anytime soon.

15. Goalie

Goalie MNSubaru Goaltender

Yeah that's the same guy keeps harassing me and Scuba Steve, get used to it, now that he's seen you he will keep bugging you until you tear off that tint.

16. Scuba Steve

No. there's only 2 EP cops that really pull people over for tint. the officer I was referring to drives either the black durango or the silver impala. he switches depending upon his shift.....I know...that's how well I know him, due to my old tint. :rolleyes:

17. gc8

gc8 Well-Known Member

This is why I'm just going to get 50%

18. whipsack

This just keeps getting better. :eek:hnoes:
    How many times has he got you guys? How much do shops usually charge to take it off?

19. whipsack

Badge #14 ?

20. Iroc-Z

Iroc-Z Well-Known Member

Dude you will always get nailed in EP. I stay out of that town as much as I can. Just at my work two other guys besides me have gotten tinit tickets in ep. Funny story. One of my techs got a tint ticket on his A6. So he gutted all the doors and swaped window glass from our shop A6 into his car. Went down to the police station and gotten it resolved. Swapped his glass back and got another ticket from the same cop two weeks later. EP cops are homos

21. whipsack

You can't blame a guy for trying. That's a good idea. Too bad I can't do that.

22. Scuba Steve

PM chris wreckle, he does a great job. he's in the shops section. I was nailed 4 times in a period of a few months. same cop everytime. I NEVER PAID FOR ONE TICKET cause he kept nailing me within 30 days of the other tickets. I just went before a private hearing officer and she dismissed the tickets immediately. (I did provide proof the tint was re-done at 54%)

23. whipsack

Oh, so you can't just go to the cop shop and show them the re-done windows? What if I decide to go back to factory for now, so if you can pass, then you don't have to pay the fine anymore?

24. Goalie

Goalie MNSubaru Goaltender

Yeah you can go back to the station and get it signed off if you stripped it off or if you're new tint is legal.

25. Scuba Steve

I tried that. Pulled right up to the police garage in EP and had the SAME officer check with his meter. My 54% tint STILL registered at 42-44% on his meter. :mad:

26. mars_volta

mars_volta Well-Known Member

You can try to get a medical exemption, but its tricky. Light sensitivity can come from more than just your eyes. Think mental health. The letter must state the window tint % and have a 2 year expiration date. ;)

Also, I suggest going to Edina court and fight it. Maybe after you have it redone. Due to budget cuts, they are practically rubber stamping most traffic violations.

27. whipsack

This is my main concern right now, is how to not have to pay the fine.It's like $135 right? If I take it off for now and have just factory glass for now,down the road maybe 50%, when I have the money.

So.... if I do, can I just go the P.D. show them my factory, legal, non tinted windows and they throw out the ticket and fine, or do I have to go to the courthouse?

28. Scuba Steve

they cannot and will not throw out the ticket at the PD. They can document you had it inspected and tint was removed. then call hennipen county court house and request a PRIVATE HEARING. then simply show that person the PD documentation and they will more than likely dismiss the ticket.

29. 02blubru

02blubru Well-Known Member

rolling your windows down when you see a cop admits to them you know they are illegal. thats how I almost got a ticket. I never roll my windows down except for my drivers one when I get pulled over. you are either getting a ticket or not.

also, go talk to a judge and kindly I mean kindly ask them why trucks/suvs/ and such can have tinted windows but cars cant? my buddy has done that 3 times now with 3 different judges and they through the ticket out every time. There is not real reason why it is okay for suvs/vans/truck to have tint but not cars.

30. ShortytheFirefighter

I figured this would come up.

Trucks/SUVs/Minivans, etc all fall under the MPV category, not the car category. They're a different federal standard, and part of that standard includes privacy glass. One example? The PT Cruiser. It's federally classed as a Multi Purpose Vehicle, and can come legally from the factory with privacy glass in the rear. The new Outbacks and Tribecas are under the same category, but Subaru only gives the privacy glass to the Tribeca.

31. 02blubru

02blubru Well-Known Member

which is fine and dandy, but why cant cars have it?? if you ask a cop why it is illegal they say it is for the cops saftey when doing a traffic stop. Thats what does not make sense.

32. mars_volta

It makes absolutely no sense.

33. Scuba Steve

they will legallize Marijuana in MN before tinted windows of less than 50% :rolleyes:

34. Soupboy

Soupboy Well-Known Member

I can live with that.

35. blackozone

blackozone Well-Known Member

Sure!
    Then you wouldn't need tint anymore, your eyes would already be half-closed!

36. SleeperWagon

SleeperWagon New Member

Seriously, suburban cops are a-holes when it comes to window tint. They all KNOW it's a bull-crap law but they still harass us car owners cause they're bored. I got pulled over by the same state trooper 3 times in my last car (had them all dismissed b/c the hearing officer actually knew the trooper was an a-hole just looking to pick on people).

There's not much you can do re: the prescription route - it'll be expensive and p.i.t.a.

Best bet is to go 5% less than max legal limit, so even if his meter is off (WHICH OBVIOUSLY IT IS!) then you'll still fall into the acceptable within limits category and not get the ticket.

Good luck...let us know how it goes and what you decide to do.

37. nm+

nm+ Professional Hypocrite

Yes, the ability to see inside the car you are approaching does nothing for safety.

38. TSTRBOY2004

TSTRBOY2004 Well-Known Member

yeah but unless it is freezing cold it is common ettiquette to cops... ;)

I always do it and have never been harassed...

had 35% on my wrx for over 3 yrs.. pulled over a few times... NO tickets...

I actually went 50% fronts, little darker on rears then back windows 35% on the Foz..

39. mars_volta

SUVs and vans have about 19 black windows...

40. Warthog

Warthog Member

Would a Leggy L wagon fall under the MPV category? The ride height and body plastic are the only real differences from an outback.

41. austinpike

austinpike Well-Known Member

This always comes up, but no one has ever provided any links actually showing how this applies in MN.

The only tint law that has been linked is here:
    https://www.revisor.leg.state.mn.us/statutes/?id=169.71

Which basically states that it is OK for "vans" and and handful of other vehicles to go darker than 50%. "Van" being defined as "any vehicle of box-like design with no barrier or separation between the operator's area and the remainder of the cargo-carrying area, and with a manufacturer's nominal rated carrying capacity of three-fourths ton or less."

If you have a sedan, you are probably out of luck, but if you have a wagon I would challenge them to explain how it does not fit the definition of "van" in the law.

42. nm+

And if cops had thier way that would be illegal too.
    Legislators make law, not cops.

Heh, I like that.
    That could very well work.

43. Kosh

Kosh Well-Known Member

I have been concerned about this to. The guy I bought my car from had the doctors note and was tinted at 35%. I drive into EP everyday for work from Chanhassen. I figure my days are numbered.

No one has brought up the idea of equal protection yet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equal_Protection_Clause

I am no lawyer, but from equal protection wouldn't it be unconstitutional to create a law that allows MPV type vehicles to be tinted and cars not to be?

44. KSAL

KSAL Well-Known Member

who cars its only $120!! just pay it, if you are scared of another one take it off. i've had over 10 tint tickets in my driving history. I like my windows tinted and im not going to take it off, just deal with it!

45. nm+

No it certianly would not.
    Equal protection covers people, not cars.