MNSubaru update 5-2-14

Discussion in 'MNSubaru Front Office' started by WRX1, Apr 28, 2014.

1. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

Friday morning I am planning on a pretty large MNS update. Xenforo has released a update and I have a bunch of add-ons that need to be updated.

Along with that, Linode has released some updated hardware. I will be in the process of getting that hardware updated with the latest and greatest software and will hopefully be able to swith MNS over to the new hardware on Friday also.

If Steve-O has the time to help get the software on the server updated, the site might be down for a few hours while everything is getting moved over to the updated hardware. At the very least the site updates alone will take a hour or more. The move to the new hardware *COULD* be a couple of hours.

The plan will be to get all the server software updated and running then just copy the live site over to the new hardware. From there it will just be point the domain at the new IP and hope for the best. If I can get cranking on the updates and such early enough, I would hope that I can have the whole site back up and running around lunch time.

If it just site updates, I should have most of that done before 8am.

Along with these updates, I am going to kill off Tapatalk. At the very least, it will be a trial run to see how much crying I get. If the crying is at a minimum, I will probably never bring it back. Between their total lack of support, hack and slash coding, and gaping security holes, it is just not worth it. Their last 3 server side releases have been complete failures. I am running a out dated server side version because that is the only thing that works. They have yet to address anything that has to do with ad revenue. MNS has never been paid for any ads that you guys/gals see on the tapatalk app. I am sure the butthurt will flow, but at this time until their can get their **** straight and fix the issues and pass along ad revenue to the websites, it is just not worth the headache.

As Friday gets closer, I will update everyone on the plan of attack for Friday.

Thanks
    Russ

2. xluben

xluben Well-Known Member

Sounds good to me. I have never used Tapatalk and the mobile site seems to work fine, so it won't be an issue for me.

How hard is it to auto size images to a specific size? Right now they fit to page, but I find that often leaves them way too large and hard to view.

I like it better when they all downsize to 1024 pixels (or whatever you choose) for easier viewing (I believe this is what most forums are doing these days).

3. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

Ok just a little update.
    Xenfor and all the add ons have been updated. I did not make the move to the new hardware yet. I still have to get everything set up on it before we make the move. At this point, I have pushed this out a bit and will work on getting most of my small projects done before we move to the new hardware.

With the updates, I have also disabled Tapatalk. Tapatalk (the last working version) and the latest XF update do not like each other. After a bit of research it looks like Tapatalk is still broken on it's latest update. So it has been disabled. If tapatalk gets fixed and fixes some of their huge problems (security holes, bypass registration, etc), I may re-introduce it.

Russ

Weird0 likes this.