MNSubaru's future updates and changes

Discussion in 'MNSubaru Front Office' started by WRX1, Jul 15, 2014.

1. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

Now that I am back to working a normal job with half assed normal hours, I have some site updates and changes that need to take place. I plan on making these changes on Friday's. I am usually home by 10am on Friday, so I will be making the changes after I get home.

A few of these updates will require me to take the website off line for a bit (45-60 minutes), but I will try and let everyone know the day before if I plan on pulling the site down.

This Friday will be my first planned downtime. I have 2 Xenforo updates and a couple of add-on updates that need to be installed. I also have some theme updates that need to be applied.

I will add another post Thursday if I am moving forward with the planned downtime.

Russ

T_riggidy and tehfuzz like this.
  2. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

If everything at work is normal today, I should be home by 10am and plan on taking the website offline and doing the Xenforo updates. It should take a hour or so. I will post updates before I pull the site offline.

Russ

3. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

Just a bit of a update.

All the Xenforo updates and add on updates have been installed. I still have some theme updates that need to be installed, but they will take some time. So I am thinking that I will tackle one theme next week and one the week after.

As always, if you see anything weird or out of place, please post up so I can start working on a solution.

Thanks
    Russ

EricS likes this.
  4. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

Another heads up.

I have another round of updates and changes planned for tomorrow. Once again, I should be home around 10am and will start making changes after that.

This time around, I don't think I will need to take the site offline for the updates, but there will most likely be some weird things happening. I have some theme updates that need to take place, and with those crazy things will happen. I will post here again once I am done with the updates to let everyone know where we stand.

Thanks
    Russ

5. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

Just want to give everyone a heads up on today's updates.

I got both themes and all of our add ons up to date. Everything is at it's current latest and greatest version.

Alone with the theme updates, I did do some work with the sidebar. Currently a couple of the widgets have been removed and I am working on a solution to get the newest vendors back into the sidebar. Along with those changes, I also removed the sidebar from phones and some of the smaller tablets. I think the cutoff is around 600px or so.

So once again, if you see anything weird and or out of place, please let me know.

Thanks
    Russ

6. EricS

EricS Nooberator

Thanks Russ. I noticed that on my iPhone, the scrollbar button is pretty much invisible when using the Dark theme (which is the one I like otherwise). Any chance of giving it a lighter color or something? Thanks as always!

7. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

Just another update.

This Friday (9-5-14) I plan on doing a pretty larger site update. It will require me to take the site down for a hour or so. Hopefully I will be able to pull the site down around 9:30-10AM and have it up and running a hour or so later.

Along with this update, I have a few other things that will also take place.

HTTPS
    The new Xenforo update will allow us to run as a secure HTTPS.

IPV6
    This update will also allow for full IPV6 support.

Domain name move.
    I am going to move the domain name away from Godaddy. I have been having horrible luck with them and it is time to move my last domain name from them. Of the other domain names that I have move, some moved as quick as a hour and as long as a week. I have picked up MNSubaru.net as a secondary domain name. So once I start the move I will make sure that I inform everyone here. If the .com domain is not working, then try the .net domain. Either way, the site will remain accessable during the domain move. Once it is complete I will once again make a announcement here.

Russ

tehfuzz, clajiness and EricS like this.
  8. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

Work kept me a bit late today.

12:00 I will be shutting the site down for some updates. Hopefully it will be back up and running in a hour.

Russ

idget likes this.
  9. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

And I got most of it done.

The large Xenforo update is complete along with a few add on's that needed updating. There might be some random little quirks that show up as I am finishing off the last little things that I need to do.

As always, if you see something that doesn't work or is out of place, please let me know so that I can look into it.

Thanks
    Russ

BlueBeast and Ctracey218 like this.
  10. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

Just another update.

This Friday (Sept 19th), I plan on doing another site update. This update will require taking the site offline again. Hopefully the site will be down for less than 1 hour.

I am also going to start the process of moving the domain name. As on now the MNSubaru.net is up and running and should be fine to use. Once I start the move process of MNSubaru.com, that web address might quit working for a bit. HOPEFULLY, the domain will get moved within a day, but I have seen them go as long as 3-4 days. If the .com domain does not work, please use the .net domain.

I will update this thread as the changes are made.

Russ

11. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

What about mnsubaru.edu and mnsubaru.octopus.jp?

12. derp

derp Well-Known Member

or my personal version, mnsubaru.mil

EricS likes this.
  13. EricS

EricS Nooberator

mnsubaru.gov?

Ooo, we should register mnsuba.ru as an alternate Russ!!:D

Todd likes this.
  14. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

Just a reminder that I will be doing some site updates today. Probably around 10am I will be pulling the site offline for the updates and then I will start the domain name transfer.

Russ

idget likes this.
  15. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

Just some updates from this mornings downtime.

Xenforo is currently up to date along with all of our add-ons.

The domain name transfer is in progress. I have no idea how long this will take. At this point, when the .com domain quits working (if it even does), the .net domain will get you back to the site. Once the domain transfer is complete, I will let everyone know.

Like with all updates, if you see anything out of place or broken, please let me know.

Russ

16. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

Just a final note.

The domain name transfer is complete. Last time I tried to transfer something out of godaddy it took about 6 days, so I wasn't really expecting 20 minutes. Either way, the transfer is complete and it will be business as usual.

Thanks
    Russ