Modem Recommendation...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by JuStaWRX, Mar 30, 2018.

1. JuStaWRX

JuStaWRX Well-Known Member

Looking to not rent the modem from our internet/cable provider. What are your recommendations? What should I be looking for?

Thanks in advance!

2. JasonoJordan

JasonoJordan Well-Known Member

3. Shancaldazar

Shancaldazar Well-Known Member

I've had good experiences with the Surfboard modems too. Can't remember the exact model of the top of my head though.

4. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

Not trying to thread jack, but do you guys recommend separate modem and router or a combo? We got a new modem when we got our new house, but used our "old" router. Our speeds aren't even close to what we're "supposed" to have (up to 200 meg, but seeing actual speeds of around 100). Suggestions?

5. JasonoJordan

Is that wireless speeds or wired speeds through the router? How many devices on the wireless if you are talking about and what spec of wireless are you using (IE: G,N,A,AC).

Also how close my are your neighbors to your place and when you go to connect to wireless how many other networks are you seeing?

6. JuStaWRX

JuStaWRX Well-Known Member

...What if you see a lot of other wireless networks? I know nothing about all of this. :facepalm:

7. JasonoJordan

So what I do is I download a wifi analzer app either on my phone or my laptop. This will allow you to see all the networks in your area and what frequency and channel they are on. This allows you to go into the settings on your wireless router and pick a frequency and channel that has less traffic. Alot of the new routers will do this on its own but not all do. By doing this it helps eliminate interference and increase your speeds when using wireless.

Cotts612 and JuStaWRX like this.
  8. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

That's wired. Modem goes to router and then router to desktop. Router has four cable ports, but we only use the one. Otherwise it's our phones on the wifi and occasionally her laptop.

I'd have to look into the other stuff.

The modem we got was suggested by one of my nerd friends as it's "endorsed" by Comcast or something, which is who we went through. We noticed the speeds not being what we were told so wife calls in. Lady at tech support said they don't recommend that specific router.

Other nerd buddy had suggested a modem/router combo initially but I went with just a modem since we already had a router. Now I'm not sure where the choke point is.

One other side note, nerd buddy A setup the new desktop for me. That first day he did a speed test and it hit like 208. That was wired directly to the modem, as I didn't know where the router was at that point (just moved). Anywho, since then I've tried the desktop wired directly to the modem and it still doesn't get passed 100 (the speedometer on the speed test site doesn't even go passed 100...). Any ideas?

9. joebush44

joebush44 Well-Known Member

For real though, have you tried unplugging your modem/plugging it back in to reboot it, then plug in direct to the modem with ethernet cable from your laptop and see if there's any improvement in speed. Sometimes they need a reboot

10. joebush44

joebush44 Well-Known Member

Anything DOCSIS 3 should be a good choice for a modem

11. sneefy

sneefy Well-Known Member

Yep. Any DOCSIS3 modem should be fine. Comcast has a list of models they have tested. Pick one from that list made by Zoom/Motorola/Arris and you'll be fine.

12. sneefy

sneefy Well-Known Member

If you're only seeing 100 Mbps through the router, it sounds like the switch in your router is only a 10/100 switch. If its older that would make sense. Meaning if you want wired speeds above 100, you need a router with a gigabit switch. (10/100/1000) Most routers these days are gigabit. Note, I'm referring to the wired connections specifically in case there was any confusion.

And yes, I prefer them to be separate units. Not a fan of combo units. I use a Zoom modem and some Ubiquiti gear (router and AP) at home. I wouldn't recommend the latter unless you know what you're doing.

There are a ton of options for decent routers these days at pretty much any price point. If you state a budget, I can direct you.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
    JasonoJordan and Krazylegz1485 like this.
  13. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

17NHMS1mt1009.jpg

TMF likes this.