Money to spend

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by MNAutomatic, Jul 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MNAutomatic

MNAutomatic New Member

Hey boys, I have been collecting for quite some time now and I got about 900 that I could spend. I currently have a stock 4EAT wrx and am just confused as to which way I should go first. Here are some possible options I have been thinking about and am looking for feed back from the more experienced tuners as to what would be best route for a 17 yr old kid.

Option 1:
    H&R Sport Springs ($280)
    Cusco Sway Bar set ($355)
    New brake pads front and rear (still looking so reccomendations would be nice)

Option 2:
    Hotchkis Stage 1 TVS kit ($559)
    -Includes Hotchkis Sport Springs along with their sport sway bars
    Defi Link Control unit 2 ($141)
    Defi Link Display ($329)

Option 3:
    KYB AGX Adjustable shocks for WRX ($559)
    Zero Sports Carbon Fiber Wing risers ($279)
    K&N Air filter

Option 4:
    Any combination of things you think I should do besides my already proposed options

All the prices I have are rough and taken from web sites and I am sure if I did some real research I could find the stuff better priced. Thanks in advance for the in put and if you wish to put your own mixed option out there go ahead...Just try and stay around 900.

2. yosmiley

yosmiley Subie OG Missin'In Action

IMHO: Spend that $900.00 on upgrading your driving skills... I can't say enough about that. Get the hang of your OEM settings before you start on upgrading.

Again, it's your money so do what you want :D Opt. 2 doesn't look too bad.

3. MNAutomatic

MNAutomatic New Member

yeah I should say that my father has already offered to pay for my wheels and tires and also driving school if I wish to go somewhere. Otherwise I would have put those up as options, sorry bout not stating either of those before

4. Yang

Yang Well-Known Member

#2 looks good but I would add aftermarket struts also. The point is, are you going for looks or performance, if both then which would you want first? I dont know if this helps but good luck :D

5. igofast

igofast New Member

Hmmm, tough decision. What are you looking to get from your car?

If you want springs and struts, I can't say enough good things about the JDM STi takeoffs. But you'll probably blow your whole wad just on those.

How I would spend $900:
    Rear Swaybar w/ links ~$200
    Intercooler Hoses ~$150
    Catless Uppipe and gaskets ~$200
    Front SS brake lines, fluid and pads ~$200
    Anti-Lift Kit ~$150

Prices are off the top of my head, so you may find better or worse. If you have extra, change your plugs(1 step colder).

Also, I'm sure Russ will say how much he likes his Torque Converter, but I have no clue how much those are.

6. MNAutomatic

MNAutomatic New Member

I am looking at the performance aspect of my car. The looks I dont really mind so much as those will come with time. My moto is I gotta have the go before the show. I am kinda trying to stay away from the engine mods as I believe that my car already has enough pep for me and I dont really plan on going over 100 constantly. I am just looking at getting it to hold a little better in the turns and really hunker down. I am just disappointed that my dads cayenne can hold better on a clover leaf than my car can. Keep those opinions and options coming. I am open to everything

7. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

Front and rear anti sway bars will give you alot better turning. If you already have rims and tires on the way, than that would be the next thing I would do for better handling. Don't worry about the springs to much, they will help, but if you are on a budget there are other things to look into. If you want a bit more pep out of the car (quicker response), definitly do the converter mod. It would probably get ya close to your max budget, but it is worth it. We will have a converter going around locally to make the swap a bit easier, and the tc mod is $500 plus the converter (can resell to make back your money) plus install. My whole converter upgrade was about 8-900 with install, fluid, and tranny cooler. The will give you the biggest bang for the buck until you get into bigger turbos.

Russ

8. KaliforniaKid

KaliforniaKid New Member

What's the converter mod?

9. kickin_81

kickin_81 Well-Known Member

Dang it! I was gonna say to get a short shifter and tranny mount, but you have an auto. Motor mounts? Under $100 investment for a tightened down motor. :)

10. wall of tvs

wall of tvs Well-Known Member

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by MNAutomatic

I am just looking at getting it to hold a little better in the turns and really hunker down. I am just disappointed that my dads cayenne can hold better on a clover leaf than my car can. Keep those opinions and options coming. I am open to everything
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I would go with a GOOD set of tires and a set of swaybars. An excellent suspension setup will still be worthless on crap tires, imho.

:)

11. Dynapar

Dynapar Well-Known Member

i think you should just keep saving up, get about 3k and go all out. i have heard really good things about tein Flex and RA. it will take a while to make that much money (i know i am 18). but while your saving you can decide more on what you would like your car to be like. just my 2 cents

Martin

12. Substeroo

Substeroo Well-Known Member

Option three. For a 1996 Subaru Legacy wagon.}:):p

13. subi_2.5rs

subi_2.5rs New Member

Cusco Sway Bar set ($355
    New brake pads front and rear
    K&N Air filter

14. MNAutomatic

MNAutomatic New Member

I have been looking around more and more and I am leaning more towards option the hotchkis set and some new brake pads but am curious as to what you guys would suggest. I have no clue what to look for in them but keep in mind that this is gonna be only a daily driver not track driven so I dont need to go all out on these.

15. MNAutomatic

MNAutomatic New Member

Ok well I have done some more research and need a little more in put if you guys can help. I have decided to get a Whiteline ALK but am unsure of which one to get. I am thinking comfort as it is a daily driven car and I am also getting a set of sway bars. My other question is are all sway bars the same or does it matter which company I go with?

16. igofast

igofast New Member

Get comfort ALK. IMHO, any sway bar from a reputable manufacturer will be equivilent.

17. kickin_81

kickin_81 Well-Known Member

Yup, get the comfort ALK. You'll definately notice after installation that your car responds to all road bumps. It'll settle in. Also, installation will require a lot of tightening.

18. MNAutomatic

MNAutomatic New Member

Alright so it seem that the ALK will do enough for the suspension currently since I am not really looking at racing my car. What should I try and do to my brakes since that is the next area I am interested in fixing up cause my stock brakes do seem a little loose. Names of products and what you suggest would really help since I got no idea in this area. Also put them in order of what is highest in priority then least

19. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

Back to my original post, but what do you want to do with your car?? If you want some better response out of the motor, forget everything else and do the tc mod. You will never get good motor performance till you do the tc mod. If you want a track car, get a manual. You need to decide want you want to do before you throw lots of money around. I myself would skip the alk unless you are going to do alot of track days. If you are looking for better handling, go with the front and rear anti-roll bars, hd mounts for teh rear, and hd end links.

Russ

20. MNAutomatic

MNAutomatic New Member

I just want an everyday driver that has a little more pep. The TC mod is already on my list of things to do I am just trying to get my hands on a TC that I could use for the time mine is at the shop getting redone. I am fine with the horsepower right now so I was just looking to add like a couple sway bars or something so that the handling would be a bit better and give me some more bite around turns. what do you mean by HD anti-roll bars? just some sway bars with new end links on there? sorry for so many questions...guess I dont really know what I want to do, just trying to way my options

21. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

Well, locally there is a tc that is going around for doing the mod. I know who has it now, and there is one other person that is looking to get the extra tc after that. So there is one or will be one avalible locally in a short time. The hd mounts I am talking about are for the rear. Basically it boxes in the bar mounting point in the rear so that does not flex when you put a stiffer bar in. The hd endlinks are put in place to get rid of the stock plastic endlinks that will flex and bend.

Russ

22. MNAutomatic

MNAutomatic New Member

Alright, well guess I might aswell put my name in line for that TC aswell. I hope one of the ones I am trying to get my hands on works out. Where are all of you getting your TC mod done at? I know of a few but how are you with yours? Are you happy with the work they did and would you recommend them. By the way I have just landed a job that gives me about 500 bucks a week so money aint a issue anymore...by the way it is a hand written check

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.