Motor pullout

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by OneGlanceMan, May 7, 2021.

1. OneGlanceMan

OneGlanceMan Member

2004 Subaru Impreza WRX
    EJ205

This isn't my first time pulling out an subaru motor. Done it a few times, but unfortunately I'm currently having issues pulling out the motor as it's straight up stuck onto the transmission. I even took off the cylinder heads to see if it'll be easier to pull apart the short block and transmission. No luck. Might end up pulling the tranny with the short block. Any thoughts, help, or advice on pulling out this stuck short block from the transmission? Thanks!

Attached Files:

Krazylegz1485 likes this.
  2. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

What's it hung up on?

The two biggest issues I've experienced are the clutch fork pin and the alignment/guide pins/dowels that go between the bell housing and block.

The first time I pulled the motor in my car I had to use pry bars and hammers to separate the two from each other. Total pain in the ass but it'll go with some patience.

OneGlanceMan, euro and tangledupinblu like this.
  3. euro

euro Well-Known Member

If it's the dowel pins a pry bar and a BFH. Both ej22s and a ej25 i had were corroded together like that.

Krazylegz1485 and OneGlanceMan like this.
  4. Butthau5

Butthau5 Well-Known Member

Dowel pins or clutch fork pin. Did you try lighting a fire underneath sometimes that helps.

5. OneGlanceMan

OneGlanceMan Member

Just bought me a chisel and pry bar. Will be attempting to go at it again this week. Will keep you updated. Thanks for your inputs. The dowel pins are corroded.

Butthau5 likes this.
  6. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

Have you removed the clutch fork pivot? This is a unique step to the pull-style clutch setup (91-94 t-leg, 02-05 WRX, and all? STis), and catches out most guys the first time they deal with that.

Butthau5 likes this.
  7. Butthau5

This... I fought this for a while my first time lol

8. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

Oh yea, I learned the hard way, as well.

Butthau5 likes this.
  9. OneGlanceMan

OneGlanceMan Member

Yes, I've already pulled out the clutch fork pivot before attempting to remove the motor. The dowel pins are corroded. Hoping for the best later on today with the chisel and pry bar. This is my 6th time removing a subie motor, but my first time coming up against a motor that's hard to separate from the tranny. Obviously I learned the hard way about the clutch fork pivot and didn't know about it until the next day after attempting the day before when it was my first time pulling a subie motor. The current car I'm pulling the motor from has over 200,000 miles and the motor has never once been pulled out & touched.

Butthau5 and Krazylegz1485 like this.
  10. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

Good.

Yea, I've had dowel pins fight me. Be very careful prying, it's easy to damage the aluminum bellhousings. A chisel will likely take chunks out. The pins are steel and housing aluminum, so excellent candidate for applying heat. The Aluminum will expand much faster and at a cooler temperature than the pin. MAPP torch or better will help a lot. Sometimes you can hit the pin with a punch and hammer (easier on the RH side, IIRC).

Butthau5 likes this.
  11. Butthau5

Yes like I said did you try lighting a fire underneath? Lol. Good luck.

Krazylegz1485 likes this.
  12. OneGlanceMan

OneGlanceMan Member

Yes, I already tried lighting a fire underneath including spraying PB Blaster all around the housing and dowel pins before posting this topic.

Butthau5 likes this.
  13. OneGlanceMan

OneGlanceMan Member

Update. Been pretty busy, but I finally had the time to pull the motor out Monday afternoon. Used a very thin flat screwdriver, hammer, and prybar. Magically worked somehow. Didn't work last time with this method.

Attached Files:

Chux and Butthau5 like this.
  14. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Congrats! :thumbup: