My 2013 WRX :D

Discussion in 'Photo & Video Gallery' started by Nater, May 6, 2013.

1. Nater

Nater Member

So, Saturday the salesman called me and told me it showed up early the 4th, then the 10th that was expected :D. The pearl white is amazing in person...

IMG_1865.JPG

IMG_1862.JPG

NOW, some questions and concerns.
    Should I wrap the plastic rap on the front of the car and anyone know a good place for that?
    Oil, 5-40 Shell Rotella-t6 still good to use on a 2013 new car? they say around 6-7k miles for oil changes is the standard, but I think I'm sticking to 3k. I'm planning after 1k miles doing a oil change.

I have yet to feel the car because of the 1000 mile break in anyone have any suggestions, I was told its good from time to time to get on it to give it a range of use on the engine but I'm still unsure of that.

Modifications, I want to get some legit exhaust sometime soon, but I am unfamiliar with how serious Subaru is with mods. I was told if anything happens to put the stock parts on it and take it in, but changing exhaust doesn't sound fun. And, is it a big thing to get a Access port if you end up changing exhaust? Can you get a 3" exhaust without needing a re-tune / access port?

Anything you guys recommend when getting a brand new car to help keep it new?

2. retreif

retreif Well-Known Member

Plastic wrap - Flawless Front Ends - see vendor directory. Can't speak to other questions.

3. ofspunk7

ofspunk7 Well-Known Member

Flawless Front Ends does the 3M wrap. Lots of people here use Chris and love the wraps. I had him tint my car, the tint job is fantastic. I am not a clear bra / 3M wrap person... so I wouldn't put it on my car. I think it makes it look cheap.

Minnesota is considered an Extreme Climate ... or Harsh Climate... I forgot how Subaru words it. If you look at that log again you will see areas like ours require 3,750 for the oil changes. Not the 6k - 7k that they suggest for everyone else. Really it depends on what oil you use and who you talk to. I ran AMSoil for 60k on my 2009. Oil changes were between 3,500 and 4,500 miles. When we took my engine apart to fix my head gaskets my internals looked very healthy. My crank looked brand new. I would 100% suggest spending the money on a good oil, like AMSoil for the car. I am currently running T6 with my build, but I also change my oil @ 2.5K now due to the new internal parts. I couldn't justify AMSoil full synthetic with such a small oil change window. I don't have enough time on the T6 to have an opinion on it.

Avoid the accessport. Contact one of our local tuners and get a solid tune. Local tuners like NF Performance can give you a better tune then an accessport for way less money.

Clean your car, that helps keep it new.

4. Schlanseay

Schlanseay Well-Known Member

Congrats on the purchase, I have the same color and car! I would highly suggest getting the front end wrapped. I had a guy parallel park into my front bumper after 3 months of ownership and had the bumper repainted. The body shop showed me the front bumper that was not wrapped and there were a ton of pits, stains and chips only after a couple of months. Needless to say I had them wrap it after painting and now looks good as new a couple months later! I also had them wrap the front of the front fenders, front of the hood, hood scoop, front roof line, mirrors and just on the top of the rear bumper by the hatch.

I was also looking at switching to Rotella, however got a bit scared off after reading numerous threads on NASIOC about Subaru being able to deny warranty work if the specd oil as state in the manual is used.

Can't comment one a tune, but upgraded front and rear sways are amazing!

Just my $.02

Enjoy!

5. ofspunk7

6. KA-T_240

KA-T_240 Well-Known Member

If you want a tune, AP would be a good option. Some say it is less likely to be "detected" if you were to ever need warranty work, I have no idea the truth behind it, nor do I care, just what all the "experts" on the forums say.

Rotella works fine in my car, I have 8200 miles on my WRX and have changed the oil like 4-5 times already as well as I have flushed the tranny and rear diff.

7. Nater

Nater Member

That is what I've been finding on the internet. I really don't care to get a big tune or anything I'm completely fine keeping it stock. I am more or less wanting some throaty sound :D.

8. KA-T_240

KA-T_240 Well-Known Member

Just make a muffler turn down ;)

9. ryjacobs

ryjacobs Well-Known Member

In my experience, dealers/shops don't care if you have just a catback.

10. ofspunk7

I am pretty sure they can tell either way. However, one option is cheaper, better for your car and can give you exactly what you want.

11. ryjacobs

ryjacobs Well-Known Member

Yes, they can see how many times it has been flashed.

It doesn't hurt to just talk to your service department to see what they'd be fussy about either. Originally, I asked if a catback would be a big deal or not, and they said it wouldn't. Every shop is different.

Great looking car though, congrats!

12. Nuke

Nuke Well-Known Member

drill holes in your muffler

Woot, KA-T_240 and pillboy like this.
  13. Subie Lovers

Subie Lovers Well-Known Member

Just curious how was your experience with St. Cloud Subaru???

If you intend on having them service it ask them about their service/warranty policy

14. Nater

Nater Member

I had an awesome experience. The only thing I had an issue with was the long wait. Being told 8-12 weeks and it extending way past that. But, I figured they really couldn't do anything about it. Everything else went very well besides that. The person I worked with was very good at getting me enough for my trade in too.

15. DIRTY D

DIRTY D Well-Known Member

St. Cloud will work with you as they are Mod friendly:) just be realistic in your set up.

16. Subie Lovers

After speaking with the owner and service manager last year while setting up an event... D is correct a basic stage 2 was fine... TBE, Up pipe, inter cooler, and tune... But call up there first and make sure... Let them know your a member of the website

17. Nater

Nater Member

Man, there are so many exhaust options. So hard to know what one to get... i think hearing some in person would be amazing.

18. xluben

xluben Well-Known Member

Only listen to the hatch exhausts. The sedan models are irrelevant.

19. Woot

Woot Well-Known Member

Definately do this, I told them I was a MNsubaru member and they only charged me $80 an hour for labor, compared to morries minnetonka at $130/hr it was worth the drive from the cities to St Cloud for me to have them work on my car.

20. SCIFIDELITY

SCIFIDELITY Well-Known Member

buy 18" black rims. that should be mod number 1 :). pearl white with black rims looks amazing IMO.

21. Woot

Woot Well-Known Member

I agree with this however I just recently picked up an AP and plan on taking it to RS to get a protune and have the map put on my AP, Main reason I am going this route is that I often end up in the land of no 93 octane way up north during the summer months and I like the idea of being able to reflash if I absolutely need to. The AP is expensive but I like the flexibility and the option to return to stock tune easily if I ever do need to bring the car in for service work.

22. SCIFIDELITY

you will want two custom maps then, one for 87 and one for 93. you don't want to reflash the ECU back to stock with all of the mods you are planning. you will destroy your engine.

23. ofspunk7

Running a WRX on 87.... seems like bad math

24. Woot

Woot Well-Known Member

Ya i was thinking more along the lines of 91 and 93, my understanding is that you don't want to run 91 octane on a 93 octane map, my issue is that I end up in Nisswa a dozen times during the summer and the best I have found up where I am is 91. So to be able to switch between the two in an extreme circumstance was my main reasoning on the AP with a pro-tune.

25. xluben

xluben Well-Known Member

They have E85 up there...

26. SCIFIDELITY

True. I wasn't sure how "bad" of gas he was referring to. I probably should not have assumed 87 :) .

27. ofspunk7

Nuke did a 91 map for me when I went to STL. I could run anything from 91 - 93 driving though IA and MO. It worked great. I swapped back to E85 when I got home.

Not everywhere. I can't make it to LOTW with E85.

EDIT: I also couldn't make it to Lutsen.

28. xluben

xluben Well-Known Member

He said Nisswa. That's right by Brainerd.

29. ofspunk7

He also said ....

Which Brainerd is not.

30. Woot

Woot Well-Known Member

I do like the geographical argument I have started between you two ;) , bottom line is I'm sure there is a BP near my wife's cabin that sells 93, I just haven't hunted it down yet, nor have I put any effort into finding it, my only point is I would like to get a couple different pro tunes on my AP for different situations should they ever arise as I tend to travel all over the place and this just seemed like a good way to go. Don't want to get stranded after hitting up Sven and Oles dontchaknow.

ofspunk7 likes this.
  31. ofspunk7

I like to say stupid things. Ben likes to read into it. Its a good relationship.

Woot likes this.
  32. xluben

xluben Well-Known Member

Derek is never wrong and he's willing to argue that fact until the end of time.

33. Mr.Tran

Mr.Tran Well-Known Member

Oddly enough I've got that same disease.

34. ofspunk7

This is not true. I will email you about this later so we can debate.

:cool:

35. ofspunk7

Not a disease... people just don't understand our level of super intelligence.

36. damian_mb

damian_mb Active Member

I hate you!!! Mine isn't even in yet, 8th week as od last week and my sales lady told me yesterday, delivery is still in August :censored: :frantic:

Here I am, ordered rims, lip, and cat back exhaust. Waiting to get coil overs.

Next is stage 2: up, dp and intake.... :coffee:

37. ofspunk7

Talk to your tuner. Sounds like some upgrade education could help your wallet.

Intake isn't required if you are under 400 WHP. The stock intake will do fine for your (about) 3oo WHP at stage 2. I am still running a stock intake on my 09 with a built motor and E85. This is more power then your stage 2 and I have zero issues that require an intake. All you'll see from the upgrade is a difference in the noise your car makes. Up-pipe isn't as "required" as it was in the older models. Unless you are running EWG, I would wait and spend your money elsewhere. Your stock TMIC and BPV won't hold up long when you start pushing 18+ PSI though them. Also an EBCS should be on your stage 2 list.

There are lots of ways to go about it. I would highly suggest picking a tuner and talking to them about where you want to go. Also use this board. No need to waste money on things that aren't required.

38. Nater

Nater Member

Going with amsoil. Not cheep, but If can afford this Wrx I can afford quality oil.

DIRTY D likes this.
  39. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Science...

Also, double check, but i don't think spending money on an up pipe is necessary. Unless they started running catted versions in the GR's?

40. Subie Lovers

I'll buy your stock uppipe