My recently 20G'd 2007 WRX

Discussion in 'Photo & Video Gallery' started by Nhibbs, Aug 20, 2013.

1. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

This...on a stock block and tranny. Perhaps it would have been cheaper for me to just get a BMW in the long run!

Ok I'll quite whining, I still love Subaru's :)

Nhibbs likes this.
  2. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

Perhaps, but if the engine does end up going a factory short block is like $14k...lol
    You can find used ones though for like $5k.

3. cloudpost

cloudpost Member

Tell me more about this omni 4 bar sensor. Is it worth getting on a 20g?

edit: oh boo.. wont work on 16bit ecu :(

4. xluben

xluben Well-Known Member

I have Omni 4 bar sensor on my car.

5. metallemur

metallemur Active Member

I think it's a Carberry thing...

6. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

Ben I read that people with the 16 bit ecu had weird idle issues with the OMNI 4 bar. Was Nuke able to figure this out? Did you not have any problems?
    Maybe because you are speed density tuned?

7. cloudpost

cloudpost Member

I keep getting maf overflow cel's (But only when is raining...) and ive swapped oem mafs. If this is better and works on 16bit ecus... I might have to switch

8. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

Well the MAF is different than the MAP. MAP reads absolute pressure in the manifold and MAF reads the air flowing through the intake...if your MAF is maxed out you might have to go with speed density tuning.
    I would talk to your tuner.

9. cloudpost

cloudpost Member

Ahh... totally didnt see that :)

10. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

Also I think the STI gearing is much better for autox. I'm not sure how competative 335's are in autox but if they aren't it is because of the 3.08 final drive! So tall 1st gear tops out at like 42mph and 2nd gets over 70...
    I know a few people who have swapped rear diff with the AT to get 3.46 FD which would be nice for autox.

11. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

Was practicing with the no lift shift function of accessport. Set the limiter to 5k rpm and it seems to work pretty well.
    Did some 2-4 gear pulls but I got a bit heat soaked. At some point my coolant overflow tank overflowed a bit so my heads might be lifting under boost?
    My thermostat didn't move at all from half way so I wasn't overheating which is good. No smoke or loss of oil that I can see. Maybe my coolant cap doesn't seal very well? Or maybe a HG problem.
    Oh well, still surprised with the stock block.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2016
  12. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

Well why the heck are ya practicing so many times in a Row? FFS isn't THAT hard lol.

Just playing man, a few pulls isn't any worse that taking your car to the track for a day. Did the coolant actually overflow out of the tank, or did the level just rise? It will get warm with repeated pulls, but should still be fine. If it actually overflowed, that's probably not good. Double checking the coolant cap is a good start, but it's hard to test if that's the issue, unless you go out and do more repeated pulls.

If you check compression, that should tell you if you have a blown head gaskets, but it doesn't sound quite that serious yet. Maybe some others have better ideas for testing.

13. Ryan FailRad

Ryan FailRad Well-Known Member

Sounds like he needs to just do another 20-25 pulls?

Also, I know mnsubaru only does the safest driving possible so, What track are you at!?! ;)

14. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

Clearly it is mexico.

15. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

The coolant definitely rose to the top of the overflow tank and there were some drops of coolant on the plastic splash guard under the car leading from the yellow cap. Not a whole lot spilled out so it was probably just under boost.
    I pulled the cap off when it was idling and it was near the top but not overflowing or bubbling.
    I looked this morning and the coolant level was still high when cold and even after idling for a little bit. Maybe something is clogged? I dunno, its not overheating.
    I'll just wait for it to happen again. I only drive it for ****s and giggles and have roadside assistance if something serious breaks.

16. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

And a bank account to fix it too right? Haha.
    That situation doesn't sound right, but I can't help much with diagnosing that one.

17. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

Yeah haha the bank account is ready for it. Any life left in the engine at this point is just a bonus.

18. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

Kinda weird, I just went out and had some fun again and the coolant level didn't move and temp stayed perfect. It has stayed consistently a few inches above the max line both when warm and cold.
    I just got an oil change the other day and the only thing I can think is the tech must have added coolant for some reason and overfilled it.
    That will teach me to just change my own oil.

TMF likes this.
  19. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

IMG_8430.JPG IMG_8431.JPG IMG_8432.JPG IMG_8433.JPG

20. BroCo

BroCo Moderator Staff Member

Nhibbs likes this.
  21. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

Lol imgur and all image hosting sites are blocked at work and I wanted to share these pics. this seemed easiest.
    Trying to decide if I should buy this out from brother in law's insurance for $1000 and fix it

22. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

After 8 years of ownership and lots of fun I finally sold my WRX! It is bittersweet but im comforted by a fat stack of hundos :p
    Now I just have my new CTS-V and that salvage title G35 which has turned out to be the best beater ever.

23. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Congrats Nhibbsy! Pics of the beater?

24. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

I dream of the day we can turn our WRX into a CTS-V.

Nhibbs likes this.
  25. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

Pics are a couple posts up, only change is black hood and cleaned headlights. Its still a dirty biotch but gets the job done. Plus its nice to park in parking lots at the grocery store or home depot and not care about idiots giving me door dings. There is something liberating about driving junk you don't care about haha.

Krazylegz1485 likes this.
  26. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

Oh I found some pics after the fixes. Still has the broken grill and missing front emblem. But it is the G35 sport so handles pretty good and isn't slow. Oh and I got new tires finally, in those pics it was on the belts...
    Just all it has needed total was a new hood, radiator, radiator support, alternator, hood hinges, hood latch, tires, crank position sensor (just went out), and one of the radiator fan motors (just went out).
    Oh and completely my fault for being dumb but I replaced the oil pan, oil pickup, and both motor mounts...dont ask what happened :banghead:

IMG_8729 smalll.jpg IMG_8734small.jpg

Attached Files:

tangledupinblu likes this.