My thoughts on my 2018 Type RA

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by STi_From_DSM, Sep 4, 2018.

1. STi_From_DSM

STi_From_DSM Well-Known Member

You see this a lot on YouTube with the 5 things I love or 5 things I hate, so I figured I would share my opinions on it since I have now owned 3 STi's and 1 WRX. I can think of many more positive things, but only 4 that I don't like so far. For those debating on whether or not to pull the trigger. DO IT! It may be $7k over a fully loaded Limited STi, I promise you it is worth it. You then have a car that is ultra rare, and most likely a collectors item in 30 years. (Plus it would be cool to have more than one of these at Cars & Coffee when I go.)

People think I am absolutely crazy right now to trade in an RS3 for a Type RA, but you just cannot put any price on how much fun you have when you turn that car on. Manuals are a dying breed and it's sad. It is engaging to drive, I am not just clicking a paddle.

There are some things that shocked me about this car in a good way.

Positive:
    • Suede Steering wheel is better quality than my RS3. Very plush. My hands feel like they are on a pillow
    • It's a manual. The real reason I switched from the RS3
    • The wing. I am a big wing type person. I think it looks awesome.
    • The ride. I am honestly blown away. The ride is so much nicer than my 06, or 15 STi's. I would compare the ride to that of my WRX on just normal roads, and then still maintaining awesome cornering.
    • The stereo although not fantastic is miles better than any of the other 3 I have owned.
    • The wheels. I think the standard STi wheels are a bit ugly. I really like these.
    • The clutch seems to catch a bit earlier. Even though I was only out of a manual for 3 months, the first couple days I over revved a few times getting used to it.
    Negative:
    • There is no navigation. This made me really sad as it is standard on the regular STi. I really enjoyed the Google Earth navigation in the Audi. I would sometimes just turn it on just to see the aerial view of where I was at.
    • The stock exhaust has this extremely weird condition at idle where it almost rattles the car. It isn't loud outside the car, just inside.
    • The stock exhaust is too quiet. I immediately ordered an axel back from Nameless Performance to which they told me the Type RA has the newer exhaust flanges and the 18 Axel back will not fit. :( Probably the biggest negative right now as I like loud exhaust. $400 is doable for Axel back exhaust, $1000 for Cat Back is not right now.
    • Every time I turn the car on it seems like it is downloading my phone info, music info, etc. For the first 2 minutes or so songs will not be available, then everything "comes online" and I can use it as intended.

GrawvyRobber likes this.
  2. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

I’m pretty sure that the “no navigation” was for weight reduction...?:)

readymix likes this.
  3. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

The type RA should have come with a rear wiper like the JDM WRX/STi’s used to! That’s the one thing that I really wish that my BRZ had. *sigh*

You’ll probably be more likely to have a Mclaren parked next to you at the next cars and coffee than you will another type RA! She’s a beaut Clark!

4. jubella2

jubella2 GC8 FTW

The car rattles and the stereo sucks. It definitely is a Subaru.

5. STi_From_DSM

Yes, just like the deleted rear armrest.

6. ryjacobs

ryjacobs Well-Known Member

The nice thing about not having navigation is that it would be outdated in a couple years anyways.

7. Navar Hren

Navar Hren Active Member

Agreed. My phone will always be up to date and more than capable of handling the task. Navigation in a vehicle is a turn off for me.

8. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

I guess I'm getting old... I honestly still like looking something up on the map and plotting my course mentally before leaving.
    I of course agree with the idea and understand the concept, but this is hilarious to me. 1, because a Subaru lasting 30 years and still being in good enough condition to be valuable. 2, because it's your 5th one already. (Believe me when I say this is not intended to be a rip on you personally in the slightest, just the fact that you mention keeping it for 30 years but you're on your 5th).

Regardless, I'm definitely jelly of the fact that you get to go out your house and get into this thing every day.

9. STi_From_DSM

Well, this is only my 4th Subaru, lol. There is still time to make the 5th one happen though. It is also laughable because the longest I have ever kept any car was 40 months. I sort of have a problem... But don't we all to some degree? I really do like it. I took a random drive tonight back by my old house in Maple Grove and it felt great to be in a manual again. Could this be a collector's car in 30 years? I think so, will I be the owner? Realistically no. Who knows? Maybe this will be like some of the JDM legend cars right now like the Datsun 240 Z, or the recent craziness for getting R32 Skylines.
    Maybe the 2021 STi will be such a drastic change that I have to get that? I know that every significant new style that has come out I have seen, hated, and then bought because I loved the look so much. Only style I haven't had is 08' - 10' because I am not a fan of the hatch, and 04-05 because I was still in college and couldn't even afford gas to get home.
    People actually make fun of me because I print paper directions before I go anywhere long distance that I do not know where I am going.

Krazylegz1485 likes this.
  10. skubi1

skubi1 Well-Known Member

2020 STi will be EcoSoob...actually, their entire lineup will be hybrid, so that'll be a drastic change.

11. 007

007 Active Member

The Type RA will go down as the king of the factory 2.5L EJ series. It will be obsolete in a single year when the STi moves to the global platform and gets the bigger FA Direct Injection motor. Progress marches on.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
    tangledupinblu likes this.
  12. STi_From_DSM

It will be quite sad when the unequal length headers get deleted. :(

13. FuJi K

FuJi K Well-Known Member

Planning for header swap already???

14. STi_From_DSM

Lol, no I meant when the new models come out. I am assuming they will get rid of that for the 2020 or 2021? The only other thing I plan on doing is mudflaps and taillights. Really liking the Subiespeed V2 taillights and think that will add to the car.