Need some internet troubleshooting please... 08 WRX

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by predavore, Jun 1, 2018.

1. predavore

predavore Well-Known Member

So, my car is/has been super reliable since the day I got it. Sure it has had a few issue, but nothing that ever left me stranded. Until today... I drove it over to put gas in it. Started fine, drove fine. The only thing different lately is a bit rougher road due to construction (aka more bouncing around). So I got to the station. Parked, paid, pumped. Got in the car and turned the key. Turned over just fine at a steady, normal pace. Just no firing. It acted like the fuel pump wasn't on. Perfect timing, had to pick up the kids in 30 minutes. So I got out and took the negative off the battery and let it sit for a bit. Popped it back on. Same issue. Called a neighbor to help me push it aside. He shows up, by that time I did the battery a second time and we tinkered with pulling the pump fuse and checking it. Pushed it about 50 feet and was about to go home and get another car. I tried it one more time, it popped right off. Aside from running on a clean map as it learns from the reset, it was running fine. I drove it straight home and parked it. Shut it off and started it back up. Seemed fine. Now it sat for about an hour or so, starts right up again.

So here's my question from the Subaru oracles... What's wrong with it?

I looked online a bit and saw that it could be a cam/crank sensor. I don't think it's a pump, it's not like it was struggling to keep up. It just wouldn't fire. I saw something about security lockout. Looks like cam sensors are cheap and not hard to replace. Might be a good place to start.

Thoughts?

2. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

Marginal battery connection at any of the four cable ends????

Marginal battery? Is it low on water?

3. predavore

While I'm grateful for any and all advice, I tend to believe it has nothing to do with the battery. It was turning the engine over as it should even after cranking a few seconds over and over. And it did eventually fire up with little or no intervention. Trying to see if anyone has had/seen a similar situation. Thanks.

4. pillboy

Duh...reading comprehension eludes me after being off from work for a week. I need to drink less too. Maybe you have a low tire.

Aegis and tangledupinblu like this.
  5. predavore

So it happened again today. But at least it's in the garage and not at a gas station.

Car turns over just fine. Won't start. I can hear the fuel pump prime when I turn the key from on to acc and back to on. I'm starting to think it's a crank/cam sensor. Last time we pushed it about 40 feet and it started again. But I don't feel like pushing my car out and back into the garage alone...

Any ideas? What to check? What to look for?

6. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

predavore likes this.
  7. predavore

Well... I decided to see if there was actually a code on it. Low and behold, P0335 crank sensor. Heading out to get one now. Then to hire a child with small hands to get it swapped since it's kinda crammed in there. Fingers crossed.

tangledupinblu and BroCo like this.
  8. predavore

$27 at Autozone and 15 minutes under the hood (with dropping the dang bolt twice)... fired right up. Had to clear the code. Check engine and traction control lights were solid and cruise light was flashing. Of course my TPMS was on but that's because I don't have my sensors in this set of wheels.

Anywho, this was a no warning issue. Just wouldn't start. When it did start even after the last time, it ran just fine. But for now, problem solved.

EricS, silver03 and tangledupinblu like this.
  9. predavore

Oh and one other thing... AutoZone employees are not the caliber they used to be. I told him I was working on an 2008 Subaru WRX. He couldn't find it in the system. He saw I was driving my Forester and started looking under Subaru Truck. Another guy came over and asked what I was working on to help the first guy. I said 2008 Subaru WRX. He looks outside and asked me if I meant Forester. I finally said "look under Impreza Turbo". He said that's not an option. OMFG. Just pick Impreza and then turbo engine. Since it was a universal part, there was not an option to pick an engine. He was completely lost. I almost jumped back there to help (or punch) him. So I pick up the phone run through their web page where it does show Impreza -> turbo engine option and got the part number. It happened to be the same as the one he found (by accident) and I said, just ring it up. Fast please. Was a bit worried about it being an aftermarket part. But it had the same stamp and markings. I think I'm fine with it. $25 vs $90 oem.

10. tangledupinblu

Lol,wtf.

11. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

Cut them some slack, that is an infuriating job (true of any aftermarket parts house). Being a peon at the counter is an entry-level job, anyone who's any good at it gets the **** off the sales floor. 90% of the customers have no ****ing clue what they're doing, 9% walk in and say "I need a Ujoint for a Dana35", or "You don't immediately know the WRX is just a trim level of the Impreza? WTF!", and the rest are trying to steal (might be more than 1%). If I didn't 100% absolutely know the part number off the top of my head (Ford Escape brake hoses), I'm going to look it up in the catalog, and guess what? sometimes it's listed differently than you expect it. And yes, the customer website is simpler (because it gives MUCH less information), so good for you for figuring it out.

12. predavore

You sound a bit offended that I was greeted by two morons who can't do their job very well. Or put two and two together. If I said I had a similar experience at McDonalds, would you be upset? They didn't ask proper questions about whether it was listed as something else. They just looked outside and (ironically enough) asked if I meant Forester. So they know what an old ass Forester is, but not a WRX? What 20 year old person working at a car parts store doesn't know what a WRX is. He didn't have to know the part number, there's a search function for that. I understand someone not knowing a trim level or a particular car. But two people did/said the exact same thing after looking out the window at my Forester. If anyone should be offended, it should be me. But I was just frustrated and worked with them to get my part. I will be sure to spend my time/money elsewhere if that's the kind of service I get.

But thanks for your input on a post about a problem that I was not sure how to resolve and just trying to get some help. I just happened to describe my situation from start to finish which ended in a nice story about a boy that shouldn't be selling car parts.

derp, BroCo, Aegis and 1 other person like this.
  13. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

This is why I buy online unless I absolutely need it same day. Props to you for figuring it out on your own (the issue, not just the part search) and fixing it. Hooray!

14. pillboy

Next time park around the corner and walk in.

And did you even bother checking for a low tire????

Krazylegz1485 likes this.
  15. predavore

Then they'd question if I was even working on a car and probably try to sell me some ear buds.

Um... yes. Only because you got me thinking about the last time I checked them.

16. predavore

Got the kids loaded in the car ready to head out for their last day of school. Hit the key. Brr ruh ruh ruh ruh ruh ruh ruh ruh... uh oh. Swap the fuel pump fuse, reset the ECU. Hit the key. Brr ruh ruh ruh ruh ruh ruh ruh ruh... uh oh. Quick swap car seats to the old Forester. Lucky I have a spare car laying around. Which that had a broken exhaust hanger. Rattle rattle thunder clatter boom boom boom. All the live long day. Got both fixed today and mowed the lawn. Crap start to the day, but got that all done. Now for the zoo tomorrow with the kids.

So yeah I needed it fixed today. I hate broken things when I'm late for school.

17. Krazylegz1485

Heck yeah. And it's not even Friday yet!

18. predavore

I should have knocked on wood...

Today at McDonald's I ran into Tweedledee and Tweedledum's cousins. I took my kids to the play place and order food. We were missing half the order and when I asked if the rest was coming, she said "rest of what?" I showed her the missing milk and pancakes and drink. She said, "Oh you're supposed to get your own drink". Hmm that's funny, then why does the kiosk ask me what type of drink I want? And why aren't there cups next to the kiosk? Oh and then there is the fact the toy was missing from the kid's meal. Seriously? That's the only thing a kid wants in a kid's meal. Ketchup was empty, ice was empty. That place is ****. I think I'm going to write a stern letter or shake my fist in their general direction.

Moral of the story, there are idiots everywhere...

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
    tangledupinblu and Cotts612 like this.
  19. tangledupinblu

I rofl’d.

20. predavore

[​IMG]

21. Aegis

Aegis TAKE IT!

[​IMG]

22. tangledupinblu

Bwahaha!
    E4F20B65-1C7F-4196-8D77-62EB1CEF48D6.png

23. pillboy

Where did you get a picture of me????

Aegis likes this.
  24. pillboy

They are all on the roads this afternoon.

25. predavore

Don't get me started.

26. Cotts612

Cotts612 Well-Known Member

"Shake harder, boy!"

27. Mnelson

Mnelson Well-Known Member

I work pt at advance and know a good amount about cars considering I do IT full time. Where I work the other employees know so much about common domestic problems that I feel like I learn something new every day.

I thought that was normal until I stopped by some of the other auto part shops and... Holy ****... I pretty much go behind the counter and do it myself.

Word of advice, stick to part numbers. Less confusing for that kind of folk.

28. Krazylegz1485

Shopping at AutoZone and McDonald's...

You need to up your standards a little.

derp and tangledupinblu like this.
  29. predavore

That's what she said....

pillboy likes this.
  30. predavore