New Car....

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by okdeal6905, Feb 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. subytek

subytek Well-Known Member

The engine code for a 06/07 WRX is EJ255, not the same as the STi. I know the pistons are different, but not sure about the rods. It can still make lots of power, (Toms car).

2. wall of tvs

wall of tvs Well-Known Member

The rods are the same (255 vs 257).

My stock turbo '06 wagon can whoop stg2 STIs on the freeway. The only reason I'd get an STI nowadays is solely for the transmission.

3. subytek

subytek Well-Known Member

*cough, Greg, cough*

4. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Well-Known Member

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=20595285&postcount=32
    http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=20595361&postcount=33

Those two are very good posts regarding the hardware differences between the 2.5L engines.

Cliffs: The crank, rods, and cams are the same for the WRX and STI in MY06 and 07. The heads and pistons are different.

5. esperunit

esperunit Well-Known Member

sounds like they are similar hypereutectic cast pistons with differing dish that causes the compression ratio to be .2 higher on the WRX EJ255.

6. esperunit

I run somewhat near that power (stock turbo has a lot of trouble getting 275 whp on any WRX (all depends on the dyno, I am speaking in terms of local Dyno Dynamics or mustang dynos), but 240-250 is definitely achievable with the torque number at 300-330WTQ.

I use KYB AGX struts, group N top hats, prodrive springs and whiteline swaybars and endlinks. It doesn't need to be replaced in the winter, is low without being too low, and is an effective autocrosser. I would need to add camber plats to the front since I have a wagon, but since I might not make it out too much this summer it will probably have to wait. I drive my car as a daily driver every day, gets a rock solid 20mpg, all i ever drive is city miles though. On a road trip it gets about 28mpg, as long as its all highway.

Its definitely possible to achieve your goals for less that $3000 over the price of the car, and to do it right. In fact a lot of people could do it for far less than that, but depends on what route you want to go.

7. okdeal6905

okdeal6905 New Member

See this is what i like about this car already. I dont ahve to break the bank to achieve the goal i want. I really would love to make my setup work like that. and it wouldnt take long to get there....as for suspension for autocross i would really have to read up on the best things to buy and best companies to buy from so iof anyone has advice on that please let me know. I am running teins s techs and kyb struts on my car now and that is about the extent of my suspension work haha......

8. rabbit

rabbit Well-Known Member

Nick just come by and pick up the car you know you want to.

9. okdeal6905

okdeal6905 New Member

haha yea man i will be hopefully picking it up soon enough....just waiting on the bank...it would be nice to get a little more for my trade in though.....

10. esperunit

hahaha work that deal!

I autocross quite a bit so once you have the car I can give you a load of setup advice, brands etc. just let me know

11. retreif

retreif Well-Known Member

What class do you run? What power mods?

12. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

^he's in ESP with a stage 2 setup.
    The OP could run an STU class STi with similar power also.

Zak's stock turbo race gas map was just as torquey as my (SM class) vf39 06wrx pump gas map. Driving them back to back, the power delivery on his map was much better for autocross. I can't say the same for his setup vs STi until I try it.

13. retreif

retreif Well-Known Member

Do you need the cats for autox?

14. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

For STU (2.5 liter wrx and STi) and STX (2.0 liter wrx) yes you do. Stock classes also.

15. okdeal6905

okdeal6905 New Member

i cant wait to get into this stuff man im excited to get my whip.......someone tell me about ice races too.....ive been reading about them.....are they pretty fun?

16. project/driven

project/driven Well-Known Member

The other bonus of a modded WRX over an STI is pretty much all the speed without the STI insurance. Nice little bonus for those of us who have a relationship with the local police that is a little too close for comfort...

17. okdeal6905

okdeal6905 New Member

haha thats awsome....

18. webcrawlr

webcrawlr Well-Known Member

How about resale? There's far fewer STIs out there and everyone always asks "is that an STI". Selling should be much easier if/when that comes around.

Sure you can add aftermarket parts to a WRX and get STI like performance for about the same money or cheaper but the resale on a car with aftermarket parts isn't much better then one without. Don't expect to re-coop much more then half your spendings on parts if you part out either. Then there's the warranty issue.

Just two more things to consider.

19. okdeal6905

okdeal6905 New Member

its a good point.....but at the same time i think you may make that price up in the lower car payments and lower ins. plus the lower cost of the car.....so eithier way you look at it.....its a good point though

20. Se7enrex

Se7enrex Well-Known Member

sti...close/

21. Se7enrex

Se7enrex Well-Known Member

had a wrx, now i have a sti....sti ftw hands down.

22. Andrew

Andrew New Member

I've got a WRX that I've modded the crap out of. It's a great car, and I'm married to it with all the work I've done.

But if I had to start over, I wish I would have spent the extra cash on the STI. I still would have done all of the same mods even if I had an STI. The brakes, transmission, engine, and little things like tranny/engine mounts all add up.

If you don't get mod fever, then a WRX is great. If you go crazy with mods, then you'll wish you had a stronger starting platform.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.