New Legacy concept for Detroit autoshow

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by Goalie, Dec 17, 2008.

1. Paul Revere

Paul Revere BANNED

This makes it look really good IMO

[​IMG]

2. AWDimprezaL

AWDimprezaL has more posts than you

looks like they changed the lights....damnit.

3. 9blackmax6

9blackmax6 Well-Known Member

WTF subaru when will you break out
    of your norm!!!!!

4. AWDimprezaL

They have to appeal to a broad spectrum, they cant just cater to gearheads. The tuner cars are a very VERY small percentage of thier sales...

5. bobafett04wrx

bobafett04wrx New Member

I like the fenders

6. 02blubru

02blubru Well-Known Member

if thats what it looks like I would love to see our house hold go down by one mazda and increase by one legacy.

7. 9blackmax6

what I meant by that was they hyped up the new headlights, those intergrated silver exhaust
    slits in the bumper and the lavish interior(now I know they obviously weren't going to use touch srenn and geewiz stuff) they hyped
    up the new legacy to be a whole new animal and finally when the production model is revealed it looks almost identical to the 4th gen only more chubby.

And yea don't get me wrong I love the increased engine size
    from 3.0->3.6 but the extra power
    may be cancelled out
    by all the added weight. I guess I was just invisioning a subaru sedan that would finally have the appeal and power to compete with the more luxurious card on the market. I know that's not subarus market of buyers but look at hyundai. 5 years ago did you EVER think they would threaten the sales of all the 30k-40k sports coupes?

8. Dynapar

Dynapar Well-Known Member

I like the on the road shots better than the show-room shots. I am indefferent about how it looks. Which is better than hating it, but I am not completely sold yet.

You get now huge fog lights, but it looks like it would be very simple to make some huge brake air ducts. FMIC options dont look that great, due to small openings in the bumper. from a cosmetic point of view, the round wheel flares = bleh (gonna look bad with a decent drop IMO.). I much preferred the more angular look of the GDs. Also the headlights/hood look kind of funky IMO. I wont declare them bad until I see them in person, its just kind of weird looking having the headlights go that far up the hood line. Also the hood looks like Subaru is trying to copy the ISF, by having a big bulgy hood.

9. 9blackmax6

subaru and toyota are basically the same now :( what i pondered up at the autoshow is that the isf's new "double wishbone" rear suspension is probably from a subaru. seeing as the camry is made in our indiana plant, and the toybaru thats coming out.... there is no reason why it wouldnt be our suspension. or almost a direct look-a-like

10. piddster

piddster Lone Wolf

Added weight of what? The car? That is just the natural progression of cars. Much higher safety means more weight, generally, unless you want to spend a lot of money.

If you are worried about the 3.6 being heavier, its not. It is the same size as the 3.0. They have asymmetric connecting rods to get more stroke without having a longer bore.

11. AWDimprezaL

exactly dan...The 3.6 ha been in the new tribeca for two years now, and it made that a bit more powerfull then the 3.0 , is it somehow going to make the lighter legacy slower?

12. 9blackmax6

i meant mainly the added weight of the car's body, being bulkier and larger as a whole will add a few hundred lbs to the car, and that 11hp increase may just be enough to cancel out the overall 'weight gain' where as just putting a higher hp/tq output motor in the 4th gen legacy's would be for power and responsiveness only, this larger motor is to compensate for an overall larger car.

13. piddster

piddster Lone Wolf

^ We'll see when the official specs are published as far as weight goes.

14. AWDimprezaL

Guess what, its 11 hp, but 40+ ft lbs of torque, even if it gained ZERO horsepower and only torque, it would be faster, TORQUE is what moves you, not HP.

15. AWDimprezaL

exactly, the new impreza got bigger but LOST weight.

16. piddster

piddster Lone Wolf

:nono:

Torque and HP are related, in that they are a function of where they are made in the powerband.

17. 9blackmax6

i'm semi-aware of that. however, hp numbers have become very connected to "how fast" we really go. i was simply baseing my estimates off that neieve widely accepted "rule".

18. 9blackmax6

torque -the power of rotation
    horsepower - speed of rotation

that right?

19. piddster

piddster Lone Wolf

No, they are mathematically related, in that if you apply a lot of force before 5252 rpm, your toque is high and hp is low. Do it after 5252 rpm, hp is high and torque is low. Gearing makes it work for a particular application.

Plenty of motors make hp over 8-10k and are still fast without any torque.

20. 9blackmax6

so hp is really kenetic motion and torque is potential motion, if a car had minimal torque at an extremely high rpm where hp is dominant could an opposing force be strong enough to slow that moving object down? im not talking about wind resistance, friction or drag, im thinking when you have that much momentum and still had quite a bit of potential torque lying around so to speak would you simply blow through that opposing force(anxiously trying to ponder up a real life example......car crash???)?

i suppose that question (if it even is one) is layed out terribly but do you kind of see what im asking? idk nvm that was just my mind philosophizing

21. piddster

piddster Lone Wolf

Torque is a moment, meaning force times distance, like a lever arm.

Power is energy divided by a unit of time.

Both are related mathematically and the difference is a matter of semantics.

22. piddster

piddster Lone Wolf

To keep it in the scope of this thread, what I'm getting at is power delivery is what matters most. Area under the curves and how it developes is what matters. The 3.6 should come on much smoother than a turbo 2.5, have more torque down low, and have ample power up top. Just what the typical consumer is looking for.

Me? I think a 3.6 needs a GT4202R ;-)