New Projects for the 2010 STi

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by samoya22, Mar 19, 2010.

1. EBR15

EBR15 Well-Known Member

Better than a window falling on your car.

Or getting hit by a drunk driver, which happened to me less than a month after I bought my sti.

So where was this sushi place? Any good? :D

2. samoya22

samoya22 Well-Known Member

Way better than any of those things, for my car. Not so good for my patience with humanity.

Tango Sushi in Woodbury. It's not that bad, and it's the only place I've been able to find that makes Japanese Ramen. What we need in the cities is a good ramen house.

3. samoya22

408 ft/lb and 371 whp @ 3800 rpm. E85 tune by Ron at RS.

Current mods:

Walbro 255 Pump
    1000cc Deatschwerks Injectors
    FP Green HTA turbo
    Maddad Turbo-back Exhaust
    AMR Intercooler
    Whiteline 22mm Sways + Endlinks
    Kartboy Short Throw + Front/Rear Shifter Bushings

[​IMG]

4. asujosh1

asujosh1 Member

Damn, very nice.

5. eterenity11

eterenity11 Well-Known Member

6. KA-T_240

KA-T_240 Well-Known Member

Looks pretty damn fun!!!!!!!!!

7. samoya22

Update on the ramen. Kikugawa makes a pretty mean bowl of Japanese ramen. It's made with pork! The way it's supposed to be made...

8. KSAL

KSAL Well-Known Member

Looks like a fun ride! Now my suggestions would be to leave it just as it is and never ever touch it again! ;) Except maybe suspension and brake mods... No more engine stuff

9. samoya22

I've never been one to leave well enough alone. ;)

10. webcrawlr

webcrawlr Well-Known Member

I know it's most likely not even the faintest concern but have you kept track of mileage at all since the tune? I'd be interested in what you are seeing now.

Very nice numbers btw!

11. samoya22

Well, since going from 93 to E85, I've noticed that I average about 17 mpg instead of 22, according to my dash mpg meter thing. I think it's having trouble with the 1000cc injectors because it thinks we're getting 26 mpg right now, no matter how hard I push it. I guess I'll have to do a full tank run-through to see just how far I'm getting.

Still, I can't say enough good things about the FP Green HTA turbo. 400 wtq at 21 psi is pretty spectacular. Ron did an amazing job with this tune.

12. samoya22

I should also say that Matt (aka bikerboy) has done an excellent job on the car as well. Despite his better judgment, he keeps installing my impulse purchases. Next step: full Whiteline bushing replacement for the sub-frame, suspension, transmission, steering rack, and differential. The 22mm sways have really tightened up my cornering, like it's on rails.

13. asujosh1

asujosh1 Member

I'm interested to see how the ride is after you install the bushing kits, I was thinking about doing that for mine but am concerned about making it a miserable ride in the city.

14. samoya22

You can come for a ride if you like. Any and all are welcome, especially humans of the female persuasion. :p

15. samoya22

16. samoya22

17. burtonboy00

burtonboy00 Well-Known Member

18. samoya22

:biggrin:

19. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Well-Known Member

Looking good :).

20. samoya22

Mr. Winkleworth has also helped me in my endeavors, and if you like road tunes...I'd go to him, which I do on occasion. Speaking of which: beers, Nate?

21. Musashi

Musashi Well-Known Member

Nice ride, but is she practical for track duty!

It was nice to meet you. She did pretty well on a damp BIR track. The owner wasn't bad himself, great job picking things up so quickly.

22. samoya22

I could invest in a better suspension, that much is certain. Some coilovers would be a fine upgrade, but I have to think about winter driveability (that should be a word) and cost related to swapping out the spring/strut setup I have in there now--every Spring and Fall. I guess if track performance becomes that important to me (and I have a feeling it will), the cost of having to install and uninstall, say, a set of RS&SPs every season shouldn't be an issue. On top of that, we're looking at a trailer, a set of slicks, a truck to pull that trailer, aero mods, the possibility of stripping the interior, installing a sequential, etc. IF I was going to get really serious about it.

For now, I think the suspension/brake upgrades (coilovers, bushings, better pads/better rotors/or maybe better calipers?) would help, but probably not as much as some more coaching! ;)

It was a pleasure to meet you, finally Musashi. You're a great driver and a great coach. I look forward to working with you more one-on-one in the very near future.

23. Musashi

Keep talking like that and we might just have to bring out the RS 160hp to show you what's up. Don't worry you guys are destine to meet each other on the battle field. LOL

All the parts in the world won't make you faster, only you can make that possible. Young master you must learn to be like water.

24. samoya22

Are you quoting some Bruce Lee on me?! :) I love that man's philosophy, btw.
    So, yeah. I absolutely understand that the slowest part in my car is me, but I also have to accept that I'm addicted to boost. It's a matter of juggling the two.

25. samoya22

I failed to mention that the car is getting a new engine/turbo set up. Money I invested long before I hit the track yesterday, so it's kind of a done deal at this point. It just makes the learning curve a little higher, and it'll make smoothness a priority and a necessity for me.

26. Musashi

It's perfectly normal to want more than you what you can handle at this stage, there will be many opportunities to come in which you'll be tested.

Most of my driving style is built around philosophy, there's a balance every great driver must maintain in order to stand out above the rest.

27. samoya22

I'm really looking forward to speaking with you more about this in person. If you'd like to meet for lunch/dinner/coffee sometime in the very near future, I'd gladly treat. Matt has floated the idea of doing a Chump Car challenge car.

28. samoya22

+1 for redundancy.

29. Musashi

That's an excellent idea! +2

30. samoya22

P.S. Venom was always my favorite comic book character. In fact, it was the only series I collected.

31. Musashi

Sweet!

32. blak04wrx

blak04wrx Well-Known Member

Was that you I saw on W 7th in STP a few days ago? I was turning onto the 94w on-ramp, gave a peace sign! Nice ride either way :)

33. samoya22

I think it may have been, yeah! Nice wheels. You from around the area?

34. blak04wrx

blak04wrx Well-Known Member

Thanks, yeah I live downtown. Sick ride holmes!

35. samoya22

Gracie.

36. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Well-Known Member

More details plz!

Sounds like you're having fun :biggrin:

37. samoya22

The motor is basically a Cosworth short block built by Matt at RS, with CP pistons, IIRC. The heads are being custom CnC'd by Matt and a fellow he knows, and they're being fitted with larger valves and Kelford cams. The twin scroll turbo kit is a 35r with a billet wheel, twin waste gates, and Swain Tech coating on all the pipes, courtesy of P&L in Chicago. I wanna go fast on pump gas in the winter and stupid fast on e85 in the summer. I'd like to have all of this done by the dyno day at RS, but I doubt that's going to happen. P&L is still developing the product; it's going to be a full kit available for people once we've bolted the first one on my car.

Thinking about bringing Jorge up to to tune it.

38. Lowrider

Lowrider Well-Known Member

I assume you will be doing some road track driving and may be drag racing?

39. samoya22

Quite a bit of track driving next season, for sure. Maybe a little drag racing, but I'm not that interested in it.
    I've basically allotted a bit of cash to pay for just about every event I can possibly attend.
    The problem is, I have to juggle between this addiction and my addiction to travel. :)

40. carl

carl Well-Known Member

when are you thinking about doing tuning? I'd either go in on bringing Jorge here if he can tune my GEMS or I have an entirely different option you may be interested in (bringing in a Prodrive engineer to tune a few rally cars including mine)

41. samoya22

That's a good question. I haven't floated the idea past Jorge yet. It all depends on when this turbo kit gets done. P&L isn't the most responsive/clairvoyant shop in the Midwest. This is a prototype/first production unit. I'm lucky to get it, but it also means I'm on their timeline, not my own. I shot Mark an email to see what the deal was.

I would be very interested in both of those options, Carl. My apologies, too, for not getting back to you about rally/sponsorship. Business took a little nosedive earlier this Fall. I'm reinvesting most of my extra cash back into the business at the moment. But, if you still want to get together and talk about stuff, I'd love that. :)

42. carl

carl Well-Known Member

I'll send ya an email

43. samoya22

Sounds good.

44. Musashi

Sounds like you'll have an uphill battle once that new motor's in. I'd like to know if this setup from P&L is similar to their Time Attack car?

The Q: Lots of power, but how user friendly and use-able is it for real life situations (purpose built). Sometimes it's not how much power but how useful it is, it's in the delivery. A cage, bucket seats, harnesses, heavy duty suspension and more looks to be in your future. LOL

Just some things to consider when you're in the process.

[​IMG]

Okay maybe not that high of a curve. LOL

45. samoya22

Team Domo ftw!