New To MNSubaru-Having Some Mechanical Problems! Please Help out!

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by Twin_Cities_WRX, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Twin_Cities_WRX

Twin_Cities_WRX New Member

Hello everybody, I'm Ray and I own a 2005 Subaru WRX. Has anyone went to Minnetonka Imports before for mechanical work? I don't want to bash anyone but it took them forever to put headers, up pipe, downpipe, and a STI Turbo. The guys there are great but it took almost a week and a half. I figure it would be done right due to the time it took to complete. Anyways, today (3 days after finally getting it back) I was hitting it a little in 3rd gear to pass a car and all I heard was a loud air compressor pssssssh sound which actually almost blew out my eardrum! I took a look and it seems to either be a exhaust gasket or the up pipe/ header combo snapped because they had to weld it. Do you guys think I should bring it back to those guys and have it fixed? Where is the best place for Subaru Mods and mechanical? Thanks a lot guys and I'm glad to be apart of the forums!

2. bobafett04wrx

bobafett04wrx New Member

Was the car tuned also? Mods like that will require a tune.

3. Twin_Cities_WRX

Had a tune scheduled until now.

4. Michael48

Michael48 Member

Yep ^ Tune?

Check the Shops link at the top^

Ron @ RS is great for tunes, and they can install and fix your Subie

Or Mike & David Wray Automotive are great for fixing stuff thats has gone wrong. http://www.davidwrayauto.com/ Mike is very good!

As far as were you've got it installed, I've heard stories that arent positive :eek:

5. Twin_Cities_WRX

Yeah its been a head ache. I wasn't able to get it tuned yet because of my work schedule. I want them to fix it for free since they did the work that went wrong. The car ran and drove great right before I brought it to them and now it is just a can of crap. Rattles and stuff breaking. I feel like they should fix it but I don't want to drive the 50 miles. They should pick it up.

6. bobafett04wrx

bobafett04wrx New Member

Without tuning you should not driving it hard. You need to keep the car out of boost at all cost. You should bring it to a good shop like RS or something. Get any CEL?

7. Twin_Cities_WRX

Sorry man, not to sound like an idiot but I don't know what CEL even means. I drove a Cadillac and Chevrolet before this car. I know some mechanical and parts but not abbreviations.

8. bobafett04wrx

bobafett04wrx New Member

Check engine light

9. AWDimprezaL

AWDimprezaL has more posts than you

If I were you I would bitch up a storm and HAVE THEM pay someone else to fix it the correct way, a place like david wray automotive.

10. Twin_Cities_WRX

Who would you recommend to go to? Someone thats reasonable for price and knows what they're doing. This is my only car and I told those guys at Racewind (Minnetonka Imports) all I want is it done right!

11. AWDimprezaL

PM driftin240 or subytek, or legacyPGT. The first two are subaru techs and the last one has been working on subarus since forever.

12. Twin_Cities_WRX

Ok I will be talking them tomorrow and get ahold of David. Where is he located and is he in the shops section of this site?

13. Twin_Cities_WRX

Yeah Check engine lights because of catless (I hope.....)

14. AWDimprezaL

I'm not sure he (legacyPGT) is in the shops section, anyways he is located in buffalo.

15. Twin_Cities_WRX

Yeah I'm starting to realize that at the wrong time after the work was done. What other kind of nightmares have happened from them?

16. Twin_Cities_WRX

Thanks. Hey by the way great looking dog. My girlfriend wants one! Just thought I would add something positive to brighten up my own day. You buy from a breeder?

17. Ryan

Ryan Sled drifting master

Dude, after you get that car fixed you **NEED** to have a tune. Until you get that tune drive it like a grandma. Seriously. Keep out of boost as much as possible. Don't do WOT (wide open throttle). If you don't want to F up your car more I'd have it tuned right away. There is a "where do I get my car tuned" thread stickied in the Tech, Tips, Newb Info section.

I'm sure your next question will be "Well, who do I go to". That discussion can be pages and pages long. I'd just do a little research on the subject and make a personal decision. Either way I'd make sure you get it tuned by a Quality tuner. IMO I'm willing to spend the extra money to not have my car run like crap.

Best of luck.

-Ryan

18. Twin_Cities_WRX

Thanks man. I guess there is supposed to be a guy in Plymouth that is a good tuner. I hope I haven't hurt my car at all. Its a brand new STI turbo. I will make sure not to hit the gas hard at all and drive slower than any 90 year old grandma with bad eyes and no right foot!

19. Ryan

Ryan Sled drifting master

I would say before you do anything you need to start researching the places you're going to. Hopefully that will save you from headaches in the future.

20. Twin_Cities_WRX

For sure. I just stopped in there one day and the owner was there with his wrx (which was of course perfect in every way because it was the owners). Nice people can trick you good thats for sure.

21. AWDimprezaL

Thanks buddy, if you ever need subaru parts PM me, as I work @ tonka subaru......She is from a breeder yes, however she came from craigslist when her original owner had to move. Best $50 bucks I ever spent. She is 4 yrs old, and is pretty well known around mnsubaru :laugh:

22. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

So did they install injectors and a fuel pump?? If not, you will need those before a tune. The stock injectors would be maxed out with the stock turbo, so adding a "sti turbo" which is hopefully a vf39, your stock injectors are WAY WAY to small.

Russ

23. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Well-Known Member

Yikes, sounds like a mess. Bring it to Mike or one of those Mtka boys and get the mechanical stuff figured out first.

And yeah, please please do some reading to figure out who to trust with your car.

24. retreif

retreif Well-Known Member

You do have a couple of the resident subaru experts giving sage advice. Glad you found the site and good luck with your adventure.

25. TSTRBOY2004

TSTRBOY2004 Well-Known Member

Recommended Techs/Peeps to fix bad work: As has been stated

Tonka Brothers (driftin240 or subytek)
    Mike Wray (legacypgt)
    RS Motors in Savage (Ron or Bikerboy)

for tuning:

Nate (Bullwinkle for open ecu)
    RS Motors (shop - ) or Bikerboy (also works at RS)

there are a number of guys on here that could also take care of most, but these guys listed would be my top choices...

26. Twin_Cities_WRX

Nope I was told more than once I wouldn't have to change them (I asked a few times and questioned it). It is a vf39 turbo. What size injectors and what fuel pump would you recommend? I'm starting to want my car back to stock so I can drive it.

27. Twin_Cities_WRX

I bet I sound more and more like an idiot every time I post something on here.

28. Mr. Derek

Mr. Derek Well-Known Member

naw just misguided and maybe a little newbish which there are plenty of newbs on here including myself haha.

29. subytek

subytek Well-Known Member

Don't beat yourself up too bad, your not the first person they fooled. Please save your engine while you still can. Get some injectors and a pump, and get it tuned ASAP.

30. AWDimprezaL

Ive talked to those guys a million times about stock injectors being too small.

31. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

500ish-750ish cc depending on gas (E85) and tuner.

You could use stock 06+ wrx injectors, stock 07+ sti injectors, stock jdm sti "pinks," deatschwerks, etc...

Most people go with a walbro 255lph fuel pump.

Most tuners will also suggest a 3-port boost control solenoid as well.

I suggest talking to your tuner before buying the hardware this time around.

32. driftin240

driftin240 Well-Known Member

Don't feel too bad about buying a modded car from them either. You didn't know what you were getting into.

I have dealt with their cars before, and I hate seeing everything they touch due to how chopped/cobbled together they do things! Your car isn't the only one they have run with an upgraded turbo and stock fueling and intercooler...

33. Twin_Cities_WRX

Do you think I should purchase this Walbro fuel pump ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/WALB...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

And these injectors....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4-93...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

34. subytek

35. subytek

36. Twin_Cities_WRX

37. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

Or find yourself another set of stock injectors and mod them (I can also mod them). You can get than done for $150 or so plus injectors (includes the clean/flow/new o-rings).

Russ

38. Roon

Roon Well-Known Member

I have a set of 4 stock 07 WRX injectors that would fit your needs. Top Feed 565cc's. PM me if you are interested and we can work out a price.

39. Twin_Cities_WRX

How much would you like? Those guys insist I don't need them at all.

40. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Well-Known Member

Wait wait wait wait wait............wait.

You have the VF39 still correct? Anyone who is telling you that you do not need injectors is an idiot and should not be giving you Subaru advice.

Provided you want your turbo and block to stay together for longer then a few weeks, you need larger injectors and a tune ASAP.

41. subytek

I can not describe how big of **** tards the guys at Minnetonka Imports/ Racewind Imports really are. DO NOT listen to anything they tell you.

42. Twin_Cities_WRX

I will be getting a tune soon but I need to find some injectors that will work that I can afford. Best bang for buck or some good used ones anyone know of? Yes I have the VF39 right now but the car is still at Racewind.

43. Twin_Cities_WRX

I'm guessing it wouldnt make much sense to get a tune without bigger injectors and a fuel pump upgrade. If I drove the car like a grandma will it be ok once I get it back for a little while?

44. ShortytheFirefighter

ShortytheFirefighter Pokemans. I has none. Staff Member

Take the advice given to you in this thread and in the 97 STI thread. Don't bother with trying to have them finish the job. Get your car back and get it to people who actually know what they're doing and can get you squared away, not handing you the keys to a potential grenade. A very, very expensive grenade.

45. Twin_Cities_WRX

I'm planning on getting it back tomorrow. Do you think the car will be ok to drive very carefully without a tune until I can buy bigger injectors and fuel pump?