New to Subaru.. AutoX DD build

Discussion in 'The Welcome Mat' started by Wahzoo, Mar 1, 2015.

1. Wahzoo

Wahzoo New Member

Hello everyone!

About 6 months ago I bought my first Subaru, a 2003 WRX. I found it on craigslist and it just so happened to be the one I'd seen in my little town of 300 people for the past few years. :) Picked it up for $4,500, a great deal for a 150K very clean car in my book.

After putting on 10K since last Aug. its time to get a few mild bolt ons and a set of summer tires/wheels before my first time ever on a track. End goal will be a street driven 350 WHP 2.5 hybrid built by me. Should be a fun time...

I've been reading volumes and volumes from the net so look out for some questions!

2. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum!

If you're serious about getting into autox and want to be competitive, read the autox rules before you mod anything. One little mod can bump you into a ridiculously high class.

2015 National Solo Rules: http://www.scca.com/solo/content.cfm?cid=44517

And if you're on the fence about autox, definitely come out to some events!

Otherwise if you're not planning on being super competitive, mod your car how you want and have fun in autox anyway!

emiliorescigno likes this.
  3. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Very nice and welcome!

I currently have a AWP 2002 WRX hybrid. Built by Matt at RS Motors: 2010 STi 2.5 mated up to 2002 2.0 heads and harness/ECU with an STi tmic and a VF48 out of a 2008 STi. I'm only at about the 260/290 hp and tq...because stock transmission.

Looking forward to seeing your build, enjoy your stay!

-Josh

4. Wahzoo

Wahzoo New Member

Thanks!
    I'm not planning on building to class rules. Its mainly for fun and if I like it as much as I fear I'll be building it quicker and quicker. There seems to be a great following in Winnipeg (2 hrs away) and there's a SCCA chapter that holds races around ND that I will attend.

To start I will be looking at a full exhaust, AP, swaybars, and summer tires. Lots of driver skill to be learned first ;)

Thanks for the welcome!

I honestly knew very litle about Subarus until 6 months ago. $1600 for a short block, throw in a few goodies internally, CNC the heads, and add air.... The potential of these cars is the appealing part to me.

Wish the drivetrain was beefier or little less costly to build. My long term project car is an Audi 2.2 TQ that will be a Trans-AM replica! :) Gear box and axles that are double the size of the WRX.. just add air! The sound those TA Audis make is intoxicating.

I will be building this all my self and very well might fab the exhaust from the header back. I can't stand paying a bunch of money for something I can do myself. Only bummer is the distance involved to get it tuned!

5. Wahzoo

Wahzoo New Member

I'll run her thru the carwash tomorrow and snap a few pics.

Where is the best place to put a build thread? I read a few that were in the pics n vids section.

6. Ryan FailRad

Ryan FailRad Well-Known Member

Hang on, 1600$ for a short block? Please explain?

Welcome to mnsubaru

7. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Check Morries Minnetonka Parts. Paid $1700 for my 2010 2.5L. $3,225 for everything brand new(except heads).

8. Wahzoo

Wahzoo New Member

Scenic drive home
    20150302_175014.jpg 20150302_174945.jpg

silver03 and Ryan FailRad like this.
  9. STi_From_DSM

STi_From_DSM Well-Known Member

That is a VERY clean 03'!

10. Shane86

Shane86 Well-Known Member

Autox wise it's a Street Modified car if you do this. Just leave out the ALK/PSRS or you go way, way higher.
    SM: Widest hoosiers you can fit, suspension in the stock pick up points, Interior has to stay (back seats, carpet, dash, etc) and engine/transmission have to come from the same brand of car.

Beyond that, you're pretty much wide open. Have Fun.