new wheels for boss!!! + tires + help

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by Boss STi, Aug 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boss STi

Boss STi Moderator

finally pulled the trigger and picked something out! i'm still rationalizing how much money i spent by thinking of how much i DIDN'T spend. still waiting to get big spendy ones when i can find a sponsor ;)

rota g force 18 x 8.5 in cosmic blue... only a few of these floating around so i escaped the "but everybody has those!" crap plus now i have even more motivation to paint my car :laugh:

gonna put my stock tires on these (for now) and get winter tires for my stock rims. any thoughts on what to get? i'm having trouble figuring out what would be best.

also, suggestions on where to get these all mounted??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. SubieDave

SubieDave Well-Known Member

Good looking wheels. They are rare. I've heard rumors about a couple guys here that are going to run the cosmic blue, but no trigger pullers yet. You could be the first.

Winter tires.. there is a yearly group buy right here when winter get closer for Nokian tires, which I heard are very good. A lot of people stand by their Blizzaks. I ran Yokohama Ice Guards last year and I thought they were really good. I have nothing to compare them to, since they are the first snow tire I have ever run. I believe they discontinued them...boooo

3. carl

carl Well-Known Member

dave, the 08 sti's come stock with 18" wheels

4. SubieDave

Didn't know she had an 08...it's not mentioned. Fixed

Next question...painting an 08? What color and why?!

5. carl

carl Well-Known Member

this is true

6. pksublime

pksublime Well-Known Member

i just love the sponsor line, boss you won't need a sponsor in about 3.5 years...

7. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

Nice! Those should look great.

I pulled the trigger a few months ago on my winter rotas. Won't be seeing them on till October/November tho.

8. jonny8852

jonny8852 Well-Known Member

those are saweet!!

9. SubieDave

Nice. Did you go with the cosmic blue? That is the question!

10. TheHoboMan

TheHoboMan Well-Known Member

Those are def some hot wheels grats!

11. AWDimprezaL

AWDimprezaL has more posts than you

I bet i know who can mount/balance those for ultra mega cheap.

12. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

I went a shade or 2 lighter than Volks Mag blue.

Alexis, what's your budget for winter tires and what are you looking to get out of them? Lots of choices out there.

13. Ej22TIM

Ej22TIM Well-Known Member

PAUL REVERE will mount your items at little to no cost to you personally.

14. AWDimprezaL

It begins.

15. Bielke55

Bielke55 Well-Known Member

:munching:

16. Scuba Steve

Scuba Steve Well-Known Member

Don't, just don't! (not on here at least);)

17. Boss STi

Boss STi Moderator

hahaha! this is so much more entertaining than the lecture I'm sitting in now. I suppose I left myself open for that one - oooops.as for painting, I'm seriously debating porsche gt3rs orange. I wanna see how the wheels look with my paint first. the obsidian black actuallly has a blue-green-purplish flake to it but its not very noticeable. I might also do some crazy design on a vinyl wrap - saves my paint & when I get sick of it I can pull it off. :) the last quote I got on a vinyl wrap was MENTAL. gotta find someplace cheaper.. any ideas?I'm def in for a group buy for some winter tires. those are going to be my xmas present from mom & dad so budget isn't TOO much of a concern (within reason)

18. TSTRBOY2004

TSTRBOY2004 Well-Known Member

well a decent Vinyl wrap will be $$$$$$ so be prepared... as you found out...

I'd say paint it... mmmmmm

19. SubieDave

gt3 orange paint would look pretty sick with the cosmic blue wheels imo at least. I like obnoxiously different though!

Depending on where you decide to paint, wouldn't vinyl still be cheaper than a quality paint job? I suppose your color choice would have a lot to do with how expensive it is.

20. TSTRBOY2004

and remember to do a good paintjob means, pulling doorcards, inside panels/trim, painting the engine bay etc... otherwise it will still look like a Maaco job

21. wrexinator03

wrexinator03 Banana Cream

:laugh:....just kiddin nate i love you

22. Scooby

Scooby Member

I've got the Rota G-Force in gold!

They are very sexy!

23. Dynapar

Dynapar Well-Known Member

You might try talking to Justin about vinyl wrap, he had his project L done not that long ago.

As for the snow tires, you CANNOT go wrong with Nokians Hakka RSI. LegacyPGT does the group buy (and mounts them for a small fee). I have run these the last two winters (205/50/16) and love them, they are one of the few things in life that are worth every penny I spent.

Keep us up to date on your car, it sounds like it will be pretty awesome when you are done. GT3RS orange..... mmmm.....

24. Boss STi

Boss STi Moderator

you and me both!! :biggrin:

this is true. i never got an official quote on a good paintjob but i think it would be in the neighborhood of $5000+. plus, paint can chip and paint is permanent. no going back after that!

the quote i got for the vinyl was $2000 including maybe having to replace a few pieces in the future if i got a bodykit. he said that would run me $4500 retail. i thought he was full of ****. i bet i can get it cheaper than that. so yes vinyl is cheaper, plus it's not permanent and it will protect the original paint. but it doesn't look as nice as paint tho. just to be clear tho...
    vinyl wrap = design
    paint = orange
    (just wanted to be sure no one thought i was debating painting my car orange vs getting a full orange vinyl wrap.)

25. Ej22TIM

you bossed out last night

26. Boss STi

Boss STi Moderator

oh yes i did. i was so tired and i was like "i got this. 15 minute disco nap and i'm good!" i'm not good. i slept through THREE alarms. guess i needed some sleep. ;)

ps: sorry this is totally off topic but i just cracked one of my books for school and it is 1370 pages. that's not a typo. :eek3::ugh::eek4::emo::eek:hnoes::mercy::banghead:

1370 pages :eek2:
    sorry. i just had to share because i've never had a panic attack but i'm pretty sure i just came close. i put them all back in the box and put the lid back on, like i can contain the evil or something. maybe i'll go have a beer before i open that thing again.

okay, back to cars. so i have a question about running studded tires.... meaning i know nothing at all. can boss (08 sti) run them? can jeeves (06 range rover sport supercharged) run them? i'm kinda drooling over the idea of jeeves with studded tires and huge snowdrifts. i could probably no bull**** climb a mountain. :laugh:

27. Ej22TIM

ANY car can run studded tires, however you need to get some tires that are either stud ready or that have big enough lugs so you dont have a flat tire with some sweet studs in them....

also, you need to make sure you dont have too big of wheels or the studs will rip **** apart in your wheel wells (splash gaurds ect)

28. Quietkid

Quietkid Well-Known Member

Looks good, I like:yumyum:

29. AWDimprezaL

bilking out and bossing out, how cute

30. Ej22TIM

boss is about to chet out

31. Ej22TIM

also, disco nap? sounds crazy

32. TSTRBOY2004

at least I dont think a taxi is an upgrade to my car.... ;)

33. Vector

Vector Rally Organizer

It is illegal to run studded tires in MN on the road. Running them at the "ice race" at Deer Lodge is another thing entirely.

34. Boss STi

Boss STi Moderator

A: run along and die now. (not you mark.) i was tired, dammit. disco naps are not crazy. that's the term for the 15 minute nap you take so you can go out all night rockstar status. going out of the house looking like keith richards is not cool. beauty rest is a must.

B: hmm so big tires + studs = bad? because then i think jeeves with studded tires for ice race wouldn't work. i just checked to see what tire size is OEM and it's 275/40R20 but i think mine might actually be better because it has a special edition package on it which included 20" stormer wheels. hmmm... as much as i would love to take my subie for the ice race i think the rover might be more fun.

road + track:
    "Take a corner at speed and you'll most likely find that it could have been taken at a brisker pace. But this shouldn't surprise as the car's suspension is highly developed. Consisting of active air springs that stiffen at high speed or in cornering, the suspension also makes use of active anti-roll bars, a system Land Rover calls Dynamic Response (standard on the supercharged model, optional on the normally aspirated version). The result is a supple ride that is remarkably compliant on streets or highways.
    The quick-reacting Dynamic Response system works equally well off-road. But when the rubber leaves the pavement, it's Land Rover's Terrain Response that really shines. This sophisticated traction system allows the driver the choice of five different settings to tackle virtually all conditions or terrain: "General Driving" for normal on- and off-road conditions; "Grass/Gravel/Snow" for slick/icy conditions; the self-explanatory "Mud and Ruts," "Sand" for the soft stuff, and "Rock Crawl" for crossing rock outcroppings. Each setting optimizes a host of vehicle functions, including gearchange points, ride height, traction and stability control, the locking and unlocking of differentials, anti-lock brake operation and engine mapping for optimal traction."

it really is fantastic... and fantastically expensive. boss averages 24mpg. jeeves averages 15. :eek2:

35. Bielke55

Bielke55 Well-Known Member

WTF is a Disco nap?

36. Ylime

Ylime Well-Known Member

wtf can you read.

37. Ej22TIM

I like the wheels!

38. aspiringRexer

aspiringRexer Member

No need to worry about wheel clearance - they'll machine their own. :)

They're also illegal to use on public roads in MN.

39. Paul Revere

Paul Revere BANNED

I wanted to do the mag blue look to my Rota's but I am unsure. Like the look though, haven't seen it on too many black cars.

40. Scuba Steve

Na, trade cars with me....problem solved. I'll even throw in a blue camping chair with the deal.

41. Boss STi

Boss STi Moderator

well damn why didn't i think of that first?! this solves everything.

42. Ej22TIM

and a blue tarp.

43. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

I would suggest getting rid of the 18'' stockers and getting 16's to replace them with.

Nice choice for summer's. Looking forward to seeing them on the car.:yumyum:

44. Scuba Steve

I knew the camping chair would seal the deal!;)

I agree with tangledupinblu, get some smaller wheels for winter. Those stock 18's don't leave too much room for snow tires and all the snow that will pack into those wheelwells in the winter.

45. 02blubru

02blubru Well-Known Member

will 16's fit over sti brakes?

also boss if you want a quote on a full vynal wrap for your car shoot me a pm or shoot "gearhead graphics" a pm with what you are thinking and I can get you a quote.

well I am off to take a disco nap??? whatever that is...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.