New WRX Owner

Discussion in 'The Welcome Mat' started by AndrewR, Sep 22, 2021.

1. AndrewR

AndrewR Well-Known Member

Hello Everyone!

I am the proud owner of a new 2021 WRX in WRB with a 6sp. I was lucky to pick up some STI wheels from a coworker with new Pilot Sport tires. From there, I put snow tires on the OEM wheels. Otherwise, my WRX stock.

During college, I had a 1994 Mazda Miata that I had a lot of fun with at local AutoX in STS2 (basic bolt on street mods, coilovers, sway bars, wheels/tires, intake, exhaust, etc). From there, I built a couple road racing Miatas for the Chump Car cheap car endurance series and Spec Miata. After daily driving a modified Miata with stiff suspension and loud exhaust for so long, I have to say that I'm really appreciating the stock performance of the WRX. Fast and planted, but still quiet and comfortable.

After getting a little burned out with traveling all over the Midwest to race Miatas, I sold my Miatas and was left daily driving a 2002 Honda Civic LX automatic. It's a good car, and I still have it. I inherited it from my grandma with something like 30k miles on the clock after 8 years of ownership. Today it stands at 153k miles and I continue to maintain it. It's nothing to brag about, but it has been a trusty steed and it was pretty great to not have a car payment immediately out of college. Thanks grandma.

But, the Civic is starting to get a little long in the tooth (a little rusty around the edges), and I was wanting something more fun. Thus the 2021 WRX. Personally, I have been around WRX a bit. My dad has had a 2006 WRX wagon and now has a 2015 WRX sedan. But, it's nice to have one of my own. Before anyone asks, yes, I'm glad I got the 2021 and not the 2022. I'm sure the larger displacement engine will have a broader powerband, but I prefer the looks and infotainment that is on the 2021.

Anyway, I'm fairly new to the Subie brand, a recovering Miata nerd, beige automatic Honda Civic driving stiff, and have some racing experience.

Hello all!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
    pillboy, Butthau5, joebush44 and 7 others like this.
  2. pinjasaur

pinjasaur Active Member

Always been curious about the NA Miatas. Mmm, pop up headlights. Maybe in the future.

Nice WRX. :)

3. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

You picked the proper color!:coffee: Welcome!!

Butthau5 likes this.
  4. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

Nice looking car. Ditto on the color.