Newbies Introduce Yourselves Here

Discussion in 'The Welcome Mat' started by dyang, Oct 20, 2005.

1. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

Well props for keeping another one alive!

I was gonna suggest pulling the motor as it's a very good chance to do all that cleaning you speak of. Plus check/replace timing components and all that good stuff. There's all sorts of things you can get sucked into at once if you're not careful, but that's half the fun, right?

tangledupinblu likes this.
  2. JaloP

JaloP Well-Known Member

Heh, okay so it's not really "riced out" but not my particular style. So if anyone wants to slam their forester I'll swap you suspension ;) I can't get my pic to upload for some reason. It's the right size, just won't take.

177K on it, timing belt supposedly done at 159K (I'll check that out once the engine is out).
    Mods it came with:
    Megan racing downpipe and muffler
    Seibon carbon fiber hood and trunk
    AEM intake
    Grimspeed manual boost controller
    STI TMIC
    Mishimoto radiator
    Cobb accessport V2
    LED headlights (oh boy)
    Lowering springs and adjustable damping shocks
    Upgraded sway bars
    Whiteline front and rear strut brace
    And it has been outfitted with a remote start

It has some rust around the wheel wells that I have to figure out how to clean up but other than that the body's in pretty good shape. IMO it's worth keeping Subies on the road for as long as you can.

Krazylegz1485 and tangledupinblu like this.
  3. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

If you are in need of getting the rust repaired, i had a really good experience and results with Cooks in Maplewood!

https://www.cooks1stopshop.com/mobile/

4. JaloP

JaloP Well-Known Member

Not to clog up the newbies thread (not much of a forum guy so don't know where to put all this)

Any suggestions on preventative maintenance for when the engine is out would be much appreciated. I'm fairly newish to the turbo world as well so don't know exactly what to look for there.

minnesotanice likes this.
  5. Krazylegz1485

I'm hoping somebody else chimes in on this one because I'm no expert. Also, if you want you could start a general "what should I do" type thread in the Maintenance and Modifications section.

I'd say the biggest thing is the clutch, but that's the whole reason you're taking it out in the first place. When I did my clutch it was at the same time as a motor rebuild, so it made sense as preventative at that point.

If timing is done I wouldn't touch it.

Possibly the fuel lines under the intake manifold? There are several small sections of rubber hose under there that like to leak when it gets cold out (winter). Some people get the leaking gas smell, some don't. It's a pain in the ass job if you leave the intake on, but it can be done. Having the motor out of the car mitmake that significantly easier. I did mine in the car and it involved a really sore back and plenty of cussing.

Possibly change out the turbo to intercooler hoses if they're original? Stock one has a 90° corner in it and is also made out of accordion style plastic that's prone to cracking over time, plus doesn't flow very good. I believe you can replace those with the aftermarket silicone ones without having to tune for it. Again, probably way easier out of the car (although it's really not that bad).

Spark plugs? Easy enough in the car but again, they're out in the wide open with the motor out.

I'd also say take care of any leaky oil seals at this point, but I've had nothing but bad luck with mine (replaced all, cleaned thoroughly, even used Honda Bond and they still leak...). I will definitely pay to have it taken care of if there is a next time.

Maybe check the condition of the turbo while the downpipe is off?

JaloP likes this.
  6. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

Just replace everything. You'll have to eventually.

tangledupinblu and Krazylegz1485 like this.
  7. Krazylegz1485

Just the entire car. Now. Do it.