Not sure where to turn

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by silver03, Mar 25, 2022.

1. silver03

silver03 Well-Known Member

Sons 2011 completely stock 2.5 Outback 150k. Noticed drops of oil under his car toward the front of the motor. Took it to a friend's shop where they replaced the cam seals. Continued to leak from behind the timing belt cover on the drivers' side. Pulled it apart again and replaced the drivers' side head gasket. When the car was under load, that cam seal began to leak again. No leak at idle. So, either where to go or what to do is needed. This shop is out of ideas. Thank you -Rick

Attached Files:

2. CornyTumbleweed

CornyTumbleweed Well-Known Member

Did they use oem cam seals on there?
    To blow one out takes a bit of crank pressure I’d think if it was installed correctly. Could check if the pcv is working right.

silver03 likes this.
  3. Optimus8304

Optimus8304 Member

What I've learned are our Subaru's is that on some parts we can use aftermarket. But if your stock use oem. The price might be a bit higher then the aftermarket counterparts but the quality in oem is great and I've had no problems with then yet. But cars I use aftermarket parts I've had cam seal leaks, oil pump seals leak. Switch them out for oem and solved the problem. And I'm a cheep ahole. But stick with oem and you'll have no problem as long as its all installed correctly.

silver03 likes this.
  4. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

Yea, my first thought is what brand seal did they use? That's obviously a Fel-pro part number for the valve cover gaskets. Not sure what to think about the others. Could be a markup on an OEM gasket, but if that's the case, where is the intake and exhaust manifold gaskets? Seems more likely they used an aftermarket set, and kept the other head gasket.

These '11-12 EJ25s are oddballs, as they redesigned the heads to "fix" the gasket issues. Which mostly just means you can't use an OEM MLS STi gasket.

silver03 likes this.
  5. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

You know my recommendation brother! JMA. Not sure if your shop there is an import/Subaru leaning shop or not, but JMA is.:)

silver03 and euro like this.
  6. silver03

silver03 Well-Known Member

Thank you for all of the suggestions. When I see multiple replies from knowledgeable people asking the same questions, that's somewhat comforting. I contacted my friend to see if OEM parts were used or not. JM is plan B. -Rick

Update-OEM cam seals were used

Last edited: Mar 26, 2022