ocie's 2003 WRX

Discussion in 'Photo & Video Gallery' started by ocie, Nov 4, 2016.

1. ocie

ocie Well-Known Member

So, let's begin.

I was driving a 2012 G37 xS sedan before, but grew tired of payments after a year, so I sold it and bought this back in July:

[​IMG]

104,000 or so on the clock, with no rust.

I figure since I've had it for a few months and took care of the necessary maintenance, I'd start a build thread. The mods it came with are:

- Invidia V3 Down Pipe
    - GrimmSpeed Up Pipe
    - GMS Catback
    - 17" MB Racing wheels with Hankook Venus V12 performance summer tires
    - Nitto SN2 winter tires on the OEM wheels
    - Cobb Accessport
    - RallyArmor Mudflaps
    - Upgraded speakers in the front and rear
    - Some Polk Audio sub in an enclosure tucked in the left side of the trunk (it's clear the install was professionally done and everything sounds great, but the sub makes it pretty difficult to replace my taillights on the left side of the trunk)

About a month after I bought it, I had JM Auto replace my timing belt, water pump, thermostat, antifreeze/engine coolant, and change my oil with T6, according to the needed 105,000 mile maintenance.

The GrimmSpeed up pipe was also cracked. Two weeks later, I had JM replace it with one from Cobb, using GrimmSpeed gaskets. Definitely made it sound quieter now that the exhaust note isn't coming from the midsection underneath the car anymore. It's currently running the Stage 2 Cobb 91 map. Devin said everything was running perfect, so I'll keep it there for now.

A week later, they replaced both the AC and power steering/alternator belts, since the squeal that it started making out of nowhere was horrid. Turns out the power steering belt was the wrong size. Now, the correct one is on and at the correct tension.

[​IMG]

Last weekend, I had my windows tinted, installed the Kartboy short-throw shifter and put a K&N high-performance air filter in the OEM air box. I also found out that the last owner did not have a cabin air filter in, so I put one in while I was at it. Love the short throw, for sure.

I don't like the STI knob too much, but it'll work until my Anarchy Motive Titan arrives. I'll show comparison pictures in the next post down.

[​IMG][​IMG]

This weekend will entail putting the Kartboy bushings in. The job seemed like a pain from what I read at first, but I'm up to giving it a shot.

More to come. I'll be reserving a few posts after this with TBD content.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
    Krazylegz1485 and silver03 like this.
  2. ocie

ocie Well-Known Member

The Anarchy Motive Titan came in last night. I felt gunmetal was the best color option to match my interior. Here are some comparison pictures of the Titan, the STI Piston and the crappy cueball. I like having my hand vertical when moving the shifter forward and using my fingers on top to pull it back, so the teardrop was the way to go for me.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Titan weighs in at 625 grams (according to the website, I forgot to weigh it myself), while the STI piston is 185 grams without the plastic shift boot retainer. The cueball is a measly 125 grams, and I was constantly touching the stock shifter threads - hated it.

I drove up 65 from Fridley to 125th in Blaine and came back. Having a heavy knob is truly the way to go when you have a short shifter. Being someone who hasn't been driving stick very long, the throws are now effortless and I wouldn't have it any other way.

I'll be putting the Kartboy bushings in next week in order to give myself a little time to actually drive the car with the knob/shifter combo. That way, I can then install the bushings and see how each component changed the driving experience. I'm sure the bushings will clean up the remaining throw slop.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  3. ocie

ocie Well-Known Member

Here's the Titan installed on my Kartboy short shifter (sitting in neutral).

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 12, 2016
  4. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

Woo! Welcome to the silver bugeye party! Appears to be pretty clean from the pic.

My only advice is to think about having your valves at least checked out at some point when it's convenient. Wife and I bought an 03 a few years ago (our first!) at a slightly higher mileage. Ended up getting a burnt valve because they naturally get out of adjustment. Not trying to talk smart or be dooshy about it at all, just something I really wish I knew about before getting into the WRX world. Would've possibly saved me a top end rebuild.

ocie likes this.
  5. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

^yep...valve lash adjustment is an excellent idea!!
    That's a clean looking bugeye! Very nice...i have a thing for bugeyes. On my second! :)

ocie likes this.
  6. UnquenchableOne

UnquenchableOne Well-Known Member

Grats on the beautiful bugeye! I just parted with mine after 15 years and miss it dearly!

ocie likes this.
  7. ocie

ocie Well-Known Member

Thank you sir! No worries, any and all preventative maintenance advice is welcome. I'll be keeping that top of mind for sure. Would you say that's a sooner than later thing? I'm not sure if that was looked at specifically when I had JM do my timing belt.

I'll tack the valves on to my to-do list for spring unless it's something you believe should be done sooner than later. But thanks! I need to have the front and rear bumper painted, the pieces behind the door handles painted and fix a chip in the windshield. It's not worth taking care of purely aesthetic issues when winter is around the corner, so it'll give me time to allocate funds for it to be done around March.

I almost bought Blue from David, actually! I used to not like Subarus at all, but they just grew on me over the last year or two. So, here we are haha.

Thank you very much! I saw your for sale thread man. Sad to see her go, but it sounds like you sold it to someone who'll take good care of her!

Last edited: Nov 6, 2016
    tangledupinblu likes this.
  8. ocie

ocie Well-Known Member

I swapped my summer wheels/tires out for the OEM wheels that are fitted with Nitto SN2 snow tires. While I was at it, I decided to install the Kartboy bushings.

Trying to get the passenger side bolt in for the rear bushing was a pain in the ass. I probably spent 30 minutes trying to get the angle right to get the threads to catch. Also trying to get the round OEM bushing out of the shifter rod took a little time and force from a flathead screwdriver, but it came out eventually. Also greased up everything nicely with white lithium grease. As soon as I was done, I drove about 2 miles to a gas station in Brooklyn Park off of 694, and then down 94 for two or three miles. The slop is pretty much gone and the shifts are on point.

I highly recommend the bushings. It was worth the two hours I spent on the install, no question.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2016
  9. ocie

ocie Well-Known Member

My alignment with Jeff was on Monday. For a few fleeting moments, I liked the lifted look.

[​IMG]

10. ocie

ocie Well-Known Member

Nothing exciting as of late besides having to replace my windshield a few weeks ago (the crack went from the size of a nickel to 3 feet across in about 24 hours...)

I've got some ideas for things I want to do in 2017 before the LAX cruise:

- Getting bodywork done (painting my bumpers, a few small dents, etc.) - just starting the process of getting quotes now
    - front windshield tint
    - GrimmSpeed BCS + Tune by Devin on the dyno
    - maybe the GrimmSpeed turbo heatshield
    - maybe the GrimmSpeed lightweight crank pulley
    - maybe the Grimmspeed master cylinder brace

The last three are definitely a low priority because I don't know really know if they're worth it. The cost of the bodywork alone will add up QUICK, so that very could easily be the only thing I'm willing to pay for this year.

I'm at 111,xxx miles currently and thinking I should drain and replace my gear oil in the near future (no clue when it was last done). I was thinking of using the GrimmSpeed/Uncle Scottie's cocktail. This is an open invite to share thoughts or experiences, though!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
  11. Krazylegz1485

I posted on here a few summers ago about putting the cocktail in my tranny as if I had accomplished something great and had checked off another "it's what you do to a Subaru" thing. I was immediately reprimanded by the masses here and was told to remove it ASAP. Haha. I ended up getting some Subaru gear oil from the dealership (as recommended) and haven't had any issues with it. I had drained the cocktail into a gallon milk jug and left it on the floor of the garage. It separated into this gross looking mess soon after.

Also, I have both the GS heat shield and lwc pulley on my car. I don't think either are necessary by any means, but both can benefit you to an extent. Maybe the heat shield more, especially if you don't have one at all right now. Anything you can do to keep heat away from the intercooler is a good thing.

joebush44 and ocie like this.
  12. ocie

ocie Well-Known Member

It seemed very strange to go the cocktail route, but figured people here had experience with it and could weigh in, so thank you for that! Do you use the extra S oil or just the regular stuff?

No heat shield at all currently. Getting one sooner than later is probably a good idea then.

Krazylegz1485 likes this.
  13. Krazylegz1485

The extra s is ideal (or so I've heard), but I think it was superceded with something new and is now pretty hard to find. I think the stuff I got is called "high performance" gear oil, directly from Subaru. If it's anything special or not, I'm not sure. All I know I used that and it's been fine so far. Really all I can base it off.

ocie likes this.
  14. joebush44

joebush44 Well-Known Member

Motul Gear 300 75w90 is good stuff too. Stay away from the cockfail.

Krazylegz1485 and ocie like this.
  15. ocie

ocie Well-Known Member

Sounds good. I'll see what I can find online, otherwise I'll call up Morrie's or something.

No cockfails here, good sir. :eek:

The Motul 300 is highly rated on rallysportdirect. I've been considering that as well. Thanks for the recommendation!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
    joebush44 likes this.
  16. ocie

ocie Well-Known Member

I found Extra S on Amazon for $13.79 per quart while Motul was $22.67. I can't justify that price difference, so Subaru Extra S it is.

Oh, and I lied earlier - I do have an OEM heat shield. I'm still looking at getting the GrimmSpeed one anyway.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
  17. GrawvyRobber

GrawvyRobber Active Member

Following a fellow bugeye :). Just a headsup that I've heard of some Amazon products that sit on the shelves for ages...

18. ocie

ocie Well-Known Member

True, but that can happen for nearly any product on Amazon. ;)

Really though, I'll use my best judgement when it arrives. Thanks for the reminder.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
  19. ocie

ocie Well-Known Member

For KYB AGX struts, Amazon is charging $112 each for fronts and $119 each for rears - $465 for all four. Anyone know where I could find a better price? They'll be paired with a set of RCE "Regular Guy" Blacks.

Part numbers are:

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  20. tangledupinblu

That's about as good as it gets. I paid $480 for mine and that was in 2012. Lol

ocie likes this.
  21. ocie

ocie Well-Known Member

Lol at least they haven't gone up in price. Thanks Josh.

22. derp

derp Well-Known Member

Rockauto with a discount code might be able to touch it. Might.

ocie likes this.
  23. ocie

ocie Well-Known Member

Thanks Derp, forgot about rockauto. I'll see if any cheaper prices come up as the week goes on. If not, I'll just purchase off of Amazon.

24. derp

derp Well-Known Member

there's a discount code thread here too

ocie likes this.
  25. ocie

ocie Well-Known Member

With the discount code from the thread, Rockauto beat Amazon by $30 bucks. Thanks Brett!

CornyTumbleweed and derp like this.
  26. derp

derp Well-Known Member

yeah!

ocie likes this.
  27. tangledupinblu

$435 for the set! That's a pretty killer deal!

ocie likes this.
  28. ocie

ocie Well-Known Member

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  29. tangledupinblu

ocie likes this.
  30. Krazylegz1485

No shiz. That's considerably cheaper than even the cheapest coilovers. Maybe add on a set of slightly lower springs? Decisions...

*And... No AGX's for wagons. Fart noise.

ocie likes this.
  31. ocie

ocie Well-Known Member

I didn't even notice the rebate when I first purchased the AGXs lol. It's a heck of a deal if you have a discount code (the one posted in the classifieds is multi-use!!!).

That's the direction I'm going. I'm sure my struts are due to crap out on me any week now.

Really? Lame. You could still go the GR-2/Excel-G route.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
  32. ocie

ocie Well-Known Member

Here's the stash that's getting installed this week:

KYB AGX struts
    Racecomp Engineering Regular Guy Lowering Springs
    Group N STI front and rear top mounts
    KYB dust boots

[​IMG]

I'll still keep the winter setup on, giving my car that nice turtle look that a lowered Bugeye has on OEM wheels. :cool:

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
    joebush44 and tangledupinblu like this.
  33. pleiades

pleiades Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, that's a good look ;)
    2017-03-18 18.58.01.jpg
    Nice setup though! Are you planning to do sway bars/links too?

ocie likes this.
  34. ocie

ocie Well-Known Member

Haha thanks man. I want to eventually, but it's probably not happening until I break an end link.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  35. MrBlue

MrBlue Well-Known Member

Jealous, be interested in how you like the setup once installed.

36. tangledupinblu

My guess is that he'll love it! Slightly stiffer than stock with a decent drop for aesthetics! Win-win

ocie and MrBlue like this.
  37. ocie

ocie Well-Known Member

So, the diameter of the rear RCE Regular Guy Springs is too small for the upper spring mount - even upside down it still doesn't fit.

The STI Group N rear top hats I ordered are part numbers: B0310FE011 (rear left) and B0310FE010 (rear right), which were made to fit bugeye sedans.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated...

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  38. ocie

ocie Well-Known Member

Hey, dumbass, you ordered the 2002-2003 STI Group N Tophats, when the RCE Regular Guy springs don't fit on those.

To make the Racecomp springs work on a 2002-2003 WRX, I need to have 2004+ tophats in the rear (with spacers) since Subaru switched it up in the blobeye. The lowering springs are meant for 2004+ fitment.

I ordered 2004-2007 STI Group N Tophats and Scooby921 spacers. For now, the upgraded suspension is installed in the front, with OEM suspension in the back.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  39. MrBlue

MrBlue Well-Known Member

That is HEAVY on the suck factor! can you return the 02-03 set?

40. ocie

ocie Well-Known Member

It does suck, majorly. I had a feeling I didn't order the correct parts.

I shouldn't have any issues returning them though. If I do, I'll just sell them myself.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
  41. ShortytheFirefighter

ShortytheFirefighter Pokemans. I has none. Staff Member

At least you're dealing with a sedan. When I had my 2002 wagon suspension stuff was even more convoluted because wagon and sedan struts aren't really compatible with each other due to camber issues. I remember having to do the conversion stuff for 2002-03 and 04+ stuff, it took a lot to keep those things straight.

42. Krazylegz1485

Got any secrets you'd be willing to pass along...? Pretty please?

43. ocie

ocie Well-Known Member

True. I'm just annoyed with myself for not doing a little bit extra research. Live and learn.

Not in my thread, bucko. Take that to PM.
    [​IMG]

jokes

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
  44. Krazylegz1485

Oh, yeahhh.

ocie likes this.
  45. ShortytheFirefighter

ShortytheFirefighter Pokemans. I has none. Staff Member

You're not my real dad, I'll do what I want.

ocie and tangledupinblu like this.