OFFICIAL open water fishing thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by carl, Apr 3, 2009.

1. G_2.5rs

G_2.5rs Well-Known Member

caught this nice little 3lber off the launch and was harassed by some other fishermen for letting it go afterwards..haha

[​IMG]

2. BroCo

BroCo Moderator Staff Member

Yeah man! I'll be up there this weekend and I'll be ready to fish!

3. Gridlocked

Gridlocked Well-Known Member

That's stupid. I've never kept a Bass that could swim away and never will. I would have told the guy "If you want fish to eat, go pull out a bunch of Sunnies/Crappies or better yet, 16" Walleye. Bass are sport fish."

4. ofspunk7

ofspunk7 Well-Known Member

Amen to that man. People are stupid!

I am not against keeping fish, but i never do... I usually fish northern and bass, so it isn't like I am throwing eyes away.... but still. Why not catch it when it is bigger too? I know my lake is hard to fish, i hope tossing mine back makes it better in the future... maybe some others will do the same?!?!

5. Gridlocked

Yep, we only keep them if they don't make it back for weigh in alive. I've actually worked with my league to adopt some rules to allow us to release larger fish prior to weigh in if they can be verified by another team for length. I also got a battery powered bubbler for the weigh bag to help keep the O2 level up while we're in line. I typically only keep early season Crappie and Walleye under slot or state min-16" or anything in the 28-30 range as they are not going to reproduce anymore anyway.

6. BroCo

I fished a tournament on Knife lake a few years back where the winning bag was 6-huge dead bass. Even with the 2 oz. deduction per dead fish they still won. I still can't believe those guys made it out of there alive, it was like a mob scene!

7. john

john Well-Known Member

A few of us are heading to Holinshead the end of June. Really looking forward to a few days on the water.

8. Gridlocked

That's a bummer - s**t happens, fish swallow hooks, gills get ripped - it's just the way it goes. If they threw the fish on the ground and stomped on it, that's cause for a mob. Fish die, so it goes. As long as you're trying...

9. BroCo

Yeah, I know this kind of stuff happen, I've lost a couple of fish on really hot days or from a ripped gill. These guys blew the fuse for their live well. I guess personally I always have extra fuses on board, either way it was not well received by the 38 other teams.

10. G_2.5rs

^^ this is only when i keep the fishes is if it wont make it back to the waters alive. otherwise all basses i will catch goes back into the water after photos. Ive already recaught one of my 4lb fish i caught earlier in the season and its still doing great and healthy.

11. ofspunk7

Leaving work early.... in about 10 - 20 minutes, and going to fish Turtle until it is dark out. If i catch anything worth posting i will toss up some pics

12. BroCo

Go get em!

13. Gridlocked

We were on Waconia last night and it was SLOW. Pulled them out of 2-4' of water fishing plastics and docks (green, white and green AND white) got the most strikes. But, they were WAY back in the crap and even with 30-40lb PowerPro, we lost some nice fish toward the end of the tournament.

14. badbennyb

badbennyb Has no title

Turtle in shoreview? Is that the one w/tons o rocks in the middle? I think we had decent luck the one time I went there other than smashing into said rocks.

15. ofspunk7

That is the one. Catch and release lake so it us usually good fishing. So far me - 0 my buddy from NC - 5......

16. G_2.5rs

got a big one this time! my biggest musky yet!

[​IMG]

but i dont know what was better. seeing the musky slam my bait, trying to land it on the dock, or getting toothed while trying to hold it up for pics...lol

17. ofspunk7

Well it was nice to get out with my friends and my buddy from NC... the fishing was hard tonight but we had some luck. These are my big fish for the night... :biggrin:

View attachment 25012

View attachment 25013

18. G_2.5rs

nice! ive yet to catch a pike this year.

19. ofspunk7

Yeah they were pretty sad last night, i think the biggest bass was around 2 lbs. Had a nice snake (northern) on last night that had my med-heavy rod touching the water..... it came up to the surface, flashed us and spit the lure into the boat. I am fishing @ the cabin this weekend, so i'll be fishing for more bass but hook into a lot of northerns... my lake is filled with them.

20. ofspunk7

Good morning of fishing ... nothing too big. Picked this guy up off of a scum frog. 16"

[​IMG]

21. Dirtyracin

Dirtyracin Member

I caught a tiny baby northern and a bad sun burn but fishing north millacs tonight hoping to pound some good walleyes!

22. BroCo

23. ofspunk7

I blame you for making me use my scum frog to catch fish. Hey I did pull an 11.5" crappie off of my rapala DT 10 (bass lure) today. Saturday and Sunday morning next weekend we should fish. I'll try to not drink too much at the campfire so I can wake up. I want to fish your lake again... so much structure! I had no luck jigging / creature bait today @ 15 ft. Rapala, spinners (lost 2), and scum frog worked today... I was out from 5am - 10am.

24. ofspunk7

Fishing was a bit slower this weekend.

Went out with BroCo on Friday morning in Park Rapids. Had most of the luck with brush hogs / creature baits. Picked up a northern again on my Rapala DT10 and some luck with Scum Frogs. Most of the fish we picked up on Friday were smaller, but it was still a great morning of fishing.

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

Did a little fishing on Sunday night in Park Rapids on my lake.... had a lot less luck. It was calm in the bay so we did some surface / lily pad fishing. Had some luck with the Scum Frog again. Tried some trolling too, but they just weren't too hot on my lake this weekend. Talked to the neighbor who got out a lot more than i did. He said some northers were biting (when don't they) but the bass and walleye were few and far between.

Hope to get out Saturday morning this coming weekend.

25. BroCo

Had a blast on Friday morning fishing with Ofspunk7. Fish were definatly running small! Went out Monday morning with my Daughter and we picked up a nice Walleye speed trolling with the 175! She had a nice bass on and lost it next to the boat, but she did an amazing job netting the Walleye. Not bad for a 4-year old!

26. badbennyb

badbennyb Has no title

^^^^You guys are good. Didn't do any fishing over the holiday weekend but I did buy another boat. The new one is much like the current one(I think-haven't actually seen it in person)basic old 14ft alumacraft fishin boat but a bit deeper and it has a 15hp motor vs. the current boats 6. Anyone looking for a really cheap fishing boat/motor/trailer I'll be selling my older one as soon as I can drag the "new" one home from Brainerd.

27. BroCo

I'd paint the boat Camo and put it out late this summer, early fall. Sounds like a good duck boat!

28. Gridlocked

I'm currently in the process of putting my boat back together after ripping the rotten floor out 2 years ago.

before (notice the battery through the floor in the front)
    [​IMG]

and as of this past weekend:
    [​IMG]

29. BroCo

Nice job! The drivers seat looks really far back from the console, or maybe it's just the way it looks in the picture. I had a 14ft Lund with a 30 H.P. Johnson that I Modified similar to yours, that was a fun little boat!

30. G_2.5rs

looking good there ted. was out dock fishing yesterday morning by a nearby and caught this pig. alittle over 4lbs!

[​IMG]

31. Gridlocked

It's absolutely further back than it used to be which is going to be awesome! Whenever I would sit down, I'd have to tuck my knees under the wheel. It was really uncomfortable. It took me about a half-hour to find the perfect spot. Far enough back that my knees don't hit the wheel, close enough to be at a nice cruising arm's length.

[​IMG]

32. BroCo

Looks much closer from this angle. Looks good man!

33. ortho004

ortho004 Well-Known Member

And now for something completely different...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also wanted to post these pictures to show BroCo that the fly rod he built is being put to good use now that my local stream is home to plenty of willing brookies. It casts great and is a lot of fun for catching these little guys. It is the perfect size rod for the small river in the woods that is nearby. BTW-did you ever find a reel/line for the one you built?

34. Gridlocked

That's an awesome fly rod! Wow! I'm jealous!!!

We took 2nd in our league tournament (limits: 2 Bass, 2 Northern) last night with 13lbs, 5ish oz. Brought home a couple of bucks and moved us up into 3rd or 4th (out of 17 teams).
    [​IMG]

35. PaulasaurusREX

PaulasaurusREX Well-Known Member

First Fish

Wow great catches all. Wish I had some big bass to show but none to speak of this year. But even better, my daughters first fish! She was more than thrilled and of course had to name every sunfish caught from then on. Her first was "Sally"

36. BroCo

That is awsome!!! I'm so glad it worked out for you being the 1st fly rod that I had built. I have since built 5-more, but have yet to finish one for myself! Thank you for the feed back, and next time your in town give me a shout!

37. G_2.5rs

nice bass's ted. guessing one was 2lbs and the other 3.5/4? had my fair share of catching today. biggest being this 3lber.

[​IMG]

38. ofspunk7

Lake of the woods

36 fish limit at 1:30

15 24+ toss backs
    26.75 top

[​IMG]

39. ofspunk7

After a 1.5 hour drive back

[​IMG]

40. ofspunk7

41. G_2.5rs

wow...that...is alot of walleyes!

42. G_2.5rs

found a small school of eyes with this one being the biggest 23inches!

[​IMG]

43. mrantegra

mrantegra Well-Known Member

44. G_2.5rs

think all of the pics ive posted besides the musky was all from one lake in the metro..lol

45. ofspunk7

Awesome.

Got a gift card coming in the mail for Bass Pro and I think I have already spent it... stupid lures, I never have enough money for all of you :emo: