OFFICIAL open water fishing thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by carl, Apr 3, 2009.

1. Ryan

Ryan Sled drifting master

Once again, Many thanks to Ted (Gridlocked) for taking me out. BTW My sunburn is a lot worse then I thought it was going to be. I'm in serious pain today. :eek3:

Sorry for the crappy cellphone pic, we forgot the camera in the car.

2. Gridlocked

Gridlocked Well-Known Member

HA HA. Mine is pretty bad too. :biggrin: WE didn't forget the camera in the car, I forgot the camera in the car. :emo: You're welcome, man, any time. I really need to get out at least once a weekend in the morning... Next time I'm not going to forget all of my Bass'n stuff in my buddy's boat. We could have stayed in that thick stuff if I had a couple more non-weighted hooks.

3. carl

carl Well-Known Member

4. Bheims

Bheims Member

Did some trout fishing in Preston MN earlier this year, just got back from another fishing tip to CO. Sorry I don't have any pictures of fish...

5. Hallywood

Hallywood Well-Known Member

Were you two on Whale Tail? I was out there yesterday for a few hours.

I thought I saw a silver Subaru in the parking lot ;)

6. Gridlocked

We moved around a bit to try to find em, so it depends on what time. Were you out with a lady wearing a white shirt? I've got a little orange/red Lund and we were the two guys getting sunburned.

7. Hallywood

Yeah I saw you two sitting in the channel for quite a while...

She demanded that we go out fishing (well she just wanted to get a tan), so I couldn't say no =)

I was in the little poop brown boat, white tiller.

8. AWDimprezaL

AWDimprezaL has more posts than you

Hows the fishing on whaletale? I havent been on it in literally 10 years. It used to rock.

9. Hallywood

I haven't been out there in quite some time either, the water is really murky. I caught a couple small bass and some sunfish....Tried to pull a pike out of there with no luck.

10. Gridlocked

Bah, that sucks! I wish we would have met up, it would have been good to meet you!! There were fish surfacing and jumping in the channel all morning so I figured we would at least try there.

We pulled two Bass on the right shore if you were driving into the deeper part of the lake. they were sitting in the millfoil at the bottom and would wrap themselves up in the weeds. I couldn't believe Ryan was able to land that fish with 8# mono. I was throwing 30# PowerPro. :biggrin:

I define Whaletail as a light switch - it's either on or off. I've had my best Pike day ever on that lake a few years ago, and have caught some nice bass as well, but there are days when I go out there and get skunked. The crappie bite was ON a couple of winters ago, but last year in the spring, the lake warmed up extremely quickly and there was a lot of fish that didn't make it due to the depleation of O2.

11. bobafett04wrx

bobafett04wrx New Member

I want to try some local metro lakes, but I haven't really fished in the metro ever. Anybody have any recomendations? Also I have no boat so I would be on shore. I tried Silver lake for a bit this afternoon but no luck there. I think tomorrow I will try long lake in new brighton.

12. carl

carl Well-Known Member

long lake in new brighton is ok from shore although some of it gets very weed choked.

lake of the isles chain is my fav for shore fishing (cedar, isles, calhoun, harriet). i mainly wade it for bass or musky. minnetonka has some good shore spots too

13. STiM

STiM Well-Known Member

Was down on French Lake in Faribault a week ago and had good luck on the sunnies.

14. bobafett04wrx

bobafett04wrx New Member

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll have to give them a try.

15. Noone

Noone Well-Known Member

Just got back from a few days off. Fishing has been really bad on my lake this year and after getting skunked last week the kid and I decided we were going to try some different lakes. Managed to get to Ottertail did only get 4 fish in but.......

[​IMG]

:eek2:

16. bobafett04wrx

bobafett04wrx New Member

I tried long lake in new brighton yesterday for a few hours but got nothing. I saw lots of fish surfacing and jumping though. I think they were carp. Next time I may just bring some corn and a bobber.

17. carl

carl Well-Known Member

yea i'll be carp fishing friday. light tackle, decent fight fish - lots of fun

18. bobafett04wrx

bobafett04wrx New Member

Yeah there fun to catch. My dad landed a 20lb carp on a red and white dare devil once. It took over an hour to get it in the boat. Also he only had 6lb mono on the rod.

19. carl

carl Well-Known Member

we should organize an mnsubaru fishing get-together

20. Ryan

Ryan Sled drifting master

Yes :)

21. ofspunk7

ofspunk7 Well-Known Member

I am always down to fish!

22. carl

carl Well-Known Member

so who has boats? I know ted and I have boats, anyone else?

23. Bielke55

Bielke55 Well-Known Member

I has my parents boat. I've been thinking about taking it out on the lake this weekend.

24. ofspunk7

I can get access to a boat... it is my Dad's boat. The boat is a smaller 14 foot Lund, and his truck that I use to pull it is not the best.... so if someone had a truck to pull it that would be better.

Otherwise my buddy has a nice Bass boat and he usually fishes like 3 days a week so maybe he would want to go out with us.... if that is the case then i might be able to add a person to the boat.

my boat is up at my cabin... so if we fish up in park rapids I can provide my own :)

25. Gridlocked

I went fishing last night on Independance for our league and didn't catch squat. :biggrin:

Yes, a fishing gtg would be fun. I can fish 3 out of my dingie relatively comfortably.

26. ofspunk7

Ok I talked to my buddy. What about this.

Bald Eagle is producing ok fishing this year. How about a weekday afterwork? Like 5 - 7 start sometime around the week of 27th - 30th? My buddy can bring his bass boat and maybe fit another person.

Thoughts?

27. Gridlocked

Where is Bald Eagle?

28. carl

carl Well-Known Member

i hate bald eagle

29. carl

carl Well-Known Member

i'm at work, is there a picture attached to this post or did you really get skunked? :laugh:

I can fish 3 out of our Lund Rebel no problem. Trying to figure out if I can buy a bigger boat - would really like one of these

[​IMG]

30. ofspunk7

we don't have to do bald eagle. it was just my friends idea. he is fishing almost everyday so i trust what he says... but we are open to anywhere.

other lake ideas?

Times? I like the idea of doing it after work during the week but I am open to whatever.

Bald Eagle is in white bear.... per the question above

31. carl

carl Well-Known Member

i actually hate all lakes with the word "eagle" in their name. never had any luck on an "eagle" lake. I'd be open to re-try bald eagle though if it's producing right now. what's biting?

32. ofspunk7

usually they fish for bass, musky, northern and walley. It all depends on who is with and when we go out.

they were catching bass last time he went out.

Turtle is a great lake but it is really small. the only issue we might run into is parking spots for the trucks and trailers. it is producing good fishing. tuesday he went out and there was only 4 boats on the lake, and 17 fish in 3 hours.... all bass. the lake is very shallow.

33. Gridlocked

If it's after work, there is no way I could get to White Bear with enough time to fish.

34. ofspunk7

what are some other lake ideas?

What about turtle lake in shoreview?

35. carl

carl Well-Known Member

shoreview would be just as bad for ted. i'm also on the westside of town - would prefer to do something like tonka, independence, waconia, christmas or even catfish/carp on the mississippi or minnesota from shore

36. Gridlocked

I would like to fish a lake I've never been on before, but more central metro would be better for me than if it were up on the north or north-east side. Maybe Christmas , Lotus, or Minnewashta?

37. bobafett04wrx

bobafett04wrx New Member

yes, Im in if I can attend

38. Hallywood

Have you tried Steiger in Victoria? That is a fun one if all you're looking for is some C&R. Although you can keep pan fish and walleyes out of there.

Lotus would be slow, and it's a ****ty lake for summer fishing. Extremely narrow and lots of jet ski/tubers.

39. AWDimprezaL

AWDimprezaL has more posts than you

How about dutch?

40. ofspunk7

It really doesn't matter. His boat is in St. Paul, so we would just jet from Downtown MPLS to Snelling and 94, pick up his boat and head where we need to go. I guess the dates are more important than the lakes.

So someone want to pick a lake that has been producing fish this summer?

Are we cool with doing it the last week of the month? If so what days of the week work best for people? I think the two of us could get out of work around 3:30pm if we get some people to swap some shifts (2:30 maybe).... to his house by 4ish and could be anywhere by around 5pm.

41. twofiveRS

twofiveRS Well-Known Member

Do you go there much, it's right down the street from me. My neighbor claims to catch lots of bass there.

42. ofspunk7

dude i have yet to fish turtle but my buddy got 17 nice bass 2 - 4 lbs within 3 hours. i really want to fish it with him. I find myself fishing bass more than anything else. I just like that style of fishing. next time i got out with him to turtle I will hit you up and see if you are free.

43. twofiveRS

twofiveRS Well-Known Member

I'd love to go, from the sound of it I'll have the next two weeks off:emo:

44. ofspunk7

my boy has the local boat, mine is stilling on a boat lift up north... because i have no way to haul it around. so it sits at the cabin. :( if we go fishing in the next two weeks i will let you know.

45. bobafett04wrx

bobafett04wrx New Member

I'm going up to my parents cabin on Long lake in Aitkin co. Its a really good lake for bass. The last two weekends we have cought an avarage of around 15 1.5~2lb bass on plastic worms and rapalas. I'll take a camera with in case I get anything nice.