Ohes Noes - Blown up 08 STi

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by Chin, Nov 11, 2021.

1. Chin

Chin Well-Known Member

Well, sorry to say that I lost my engine last night. We don't know what happened, but that is really irrelevant at this point anyway... So, looking for some feedback.

Does anyone have a line on an engine I could buy for replacement, or any guidance to where I could find one? The only option I have come up with is to go with a block directly from Subaru.

Is anyone interested in buying it as-is? It is in great shape, aside from the engine. Selling to an online buyer isn't going to net what the car is worth, and it ends up being one less STi on the road.

Grrr!

2. KA-T_240

KA-T_240 Well-Known Member

There are a couple of options here. How modded is your car? Do you you have any idea on what failed?

What would you want for the car as is?

3. Chin

Chin Well-Known Member

It is stock block and turbo, but setup for E85 with supporting mods, and tuned by Boosted Performance (tune was refreshed a month ago!). It died on the road cruising in 4th without any warning. The thought is either the timing belt broke (current engine has ~70k, though) or an issue with the oil pump. It got a new OEM block before I bought it, at about 90k. I bought it with 143k, it now has ~161k.

No major mods; '14 struts w/ RCE Black springs, dp and Invidia Q300 exhaust, stereo upgrades. New pads (HPS 5.0) and rotors w/<1k miles.

Price is negotiable, but somewhere around the market value minus cost of replacement engine.

4. KA-T_240

KA-T_240 Well-Known Member

Going to have to see what happened to the motor to know how deep you will need to go to fix it. . If the Timing belt broke, your engine is likely scrap.

The easiest option is probably to find a IAG short/long block and put that in. The IAG short block will be a bit more $, but its already built.
    You can buy a OEM STi short block for about $2k. Subaru doesn't sell a long block, so would have to source heads if needed as well.

My suggestion is if you are not able to do the work yourself, would be to talk to a shop like RS Motors or JM and see if they can get your car in for diag/quotes.

5. Chin

Chin Well-Known Member

Thanks for the feedback. Engine is indeed likely scrap. It doesn't turn over consistently, and the starter is squealing; we think it is seized.

I have been looking into the OEM block route, and have talked with RS this morning. TBH, I was hoping someone had a line on a used engine (and all that could go with that), or was interested in a project that they could potentially profit from. ;) Wife doesn't want me to put any more $$ in it. :(

6. sneefy

sneefy Well-Known Member

LS Swap.

Chux, Cotts612 and euro like this.
  7. Chin

Chin Well-Known Member

Haha :censored:

8. euro

euro Well-Known Member

That might be my game plan if the day comes. It's a lot of money rebuilding these things even to oem spec.

Krazylegz1485 likes this.
  9. joebush44

joebush44 Well-Known Member

Personally, from experience, I would pass on anything used unless you know for certain its history/condition or have paperwork of it being freshly rebuilt.

I'd go the route of just getting a new OEM shortblock, assuming your heads survived. If you were just cruising along and all of a sudden it stopped running, I think you're on the right track thinking it's oil starvation related - as opposed to a bent rod. Any oil on the dipstick?

The new RA shortblocks are supposedly pretty stout, should hold up fine to stock-ish power
    https://www.flatironstuning.com/subaru-oem-2018-type-ra-shortblock

ooof :ninja:

Chux likes this.
  10. Chin

Chin Well-Known Member

Yes, there is concerns with used...enough so that I decided to go the new OEM block route. Hoping the heads are ok. I verified there is still oil; I just topped it off ~200mi ago.

Likely will put it up for sale once the break-in is complete...wife doesn't understand that 14yr old cars run into issues (of which I have had very few).

11. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

Yep, OEM block is the best bang for the buck, get the newest Type-RA number (if it's not already superseded). If there was any metal in the oil, the cam journals in the head castings should be very carefully inspected. If the aluminum is damaged, they're junk. Oil cooler will have debris in it, replace it.