Ojibwe Forest Rally as a Spectator

Discussion in 'MNSubaru Event Center' started by mctenold, Aug 18, 2018.

1. mctenold

mctenold Well-Known Member

I've always wanted to go spectate a real stage rally event.

Has anyone spectated at OFR? I've skimmed over the spectator guide here, but just wanted to know others input on it.

Are you sitting in the middle of nowhere all day? Or do you bounce around? Do you bring a cooler and a grill? When is the best time to see the cars parked and up close?

Looking at maybe heading up to spectate Saturday.

2. mctenold

No one has done this or wants to share their experience?

3. readymix

readymix ...Lest ye be trod upon... Staff Member

I think the ones that have aren't as active these days.

4. glen

glen Well-Known Member

I went a few years ago when it was an SCCA event. I think the spectator guide you linked is pretty comprehensive, stick to the designated spectator areas.

When I went they didn't pass the same spectator area more than once or twice so you had to keep moving to follow the cars around, now it looks like you could hang out in one place and see the cars go by a few times. On one hand that's nice because to get to most of the spectator areas you're driving down a narrow one lane road and parking pretty far away before you start walking the rest of the way, on the other hand it's nice to see the cars from some different areas.

You can see the cars at the service park, but they aren't all there at the same time and they are busy working on them. The Parc Expose on Friday is probably the best chance to see them.

mctenold likes this.
  5. mctenold

Thanks for the reply! What exactly is the Parc Expose?

Also is the actual course route not published? I'm assuming because they don't want people spectating from random areas along the course?

Because the designated spectating areas in that guide are actually very far away from downtown Detroit Lakes. For example one is an hour and 15 minute drive from Detroit Lakes.

6. CornyTumbleweed

CornyTumbleweed Well-Known Member

I did the VIP spectator package once. They drive you to areas different from the general spectator spots. Usually there’s one or two spots a day listed for general spectators. At those sections the rally usually goes one direction then comes back the other way. If you do the bus they take you to 5 or so spots a day that aren’t open to the general public. The buses drive on stage and park off corners where you get out and to watch. They have an alcohol allowed bus and a family bus. I thought it was a cool way to get out and see it as it was $100 and they drove you from Detroit lakes out and back every day and gave you a coupon for food for one meal during service. After you factor in gas and time and food it’s a good deal. Next time I go up I plan on volunteering. You get your own areas and get to drive the stages to get to your spots. If you have never been it will be a blast no matter what you do.

mctenold likes this.
  7. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

mctenold likes this.
  8. mctenold

9. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Yeah, if you want to shake the hand of a specific driver, get an autographed photo(which the Subaru team usually provide for you), or see the cars up close...then you want to go to the parc exposé!

mctenold likes this.
  10. Silky21L

Silky21L Well-Known Member

How did you like the rally!?