Ordered a 2016 WRX STI

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by subarugirl23, Nov 19, 2015.

1. subarugirl23

subarugirl23 Member

That is actually really cheap, i was guessing over $1k for a full set up, easily.

2. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Nope, easily less than 1k! Grab some off of a member here. I've seen a ton of winters FS in the last month, most reasonably priced. And all of them good quality/brand with little to no mileage on them!

It's part of the perks here on MnSubaru. Save some monies!!

3. subarugirl23

subarugirl23 Member

The downfall on buying them on here vs thru a company is that i need cash vs credit. ;)

tangledupinblu likes this.
  4. tangledupinblu

Troof

5. djhamp

djhamp Well-Known Member

I went the Tire Rack route, wheels & tires for my 2016 STI - delivered to the door for a little over $1000. Just got them mounted, I like the looks better than the stock wheels (base STI). You will be fine driving on the stock tires on dry pavement if you take it easy (getting it home anyway) it would be scary with a couple of inches of snow though!

6. tangledupinblu

You mean "couple of centimeters"? Lol

7. ShortytheFirefighter

ShortytheFirefighter Pokemans. I has none. Staff Member

I fixed that for you.

NoSoup4U and Kneel Weiß like this.
  8. derp

derp Well-Known Member

Samaritan takes credit cards :p

9. djhamp

djhamp Well-Known Member

Well I grew up driving rear wheel drive cars with bald tires so I bet I could handle a little snow on summer tires :)
    Not saying it would be a good idea - just saying!

10. derp

derp Well-Known Member

Being dumb before doesn't help now...

Summers and snow is a bad idea. I came very close to ending up in a lake as a result of that combo.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
    tehfuzz and Jerf like this.
  11. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

Credit is for suckers. As are car payments, but you already know that.

12. NoSoup4U

NoSoup4U New Member

True on both accounts. I've never bought winter tires before, I usually trade cars faster than I replace tires. The WRX is here to stay though, so I wanted to invest in things like snow tires. It helped that it was pretty much required for me to buy them too.

You guys are right though, in the long run it will save me plenty just to have that extra assurance once bad weather hits. Not to mention the extra longevity I'll get from the summer rubber by spreading my yearly mileage out between two sets of tires. I was still in sticker shock between the down payment on the car, then another $800 or so (before rebate) on top of it. Now that I've had the car for a few weeks I'm not complaining anymore though :)

P.S. - What insurance plans offer safety equipment discounts? I have the 10 year accident free and multi line discounts from State Farm, but they are damn stingy about anything above that. I have my endorsement which I got through that riders course through Century and that didn't count for any defensive driving discount. I doubt they have winter safety equipment, but I'll give my rep a call later today.

tangledupinblu likes this.
  13. subarugirl23

subarugirl23 Member

Would it be better to go with 17's as a winter set up for snow clearance or stick with 18's?

14. derp

derp Well-Known Member

if you can fit 17s, having more sidewall never hurts. more of a cushion to absorb potholes and ice chucks and the general **** that minnesota winter roads have in store. another benefit is that 17" tires are cheaper, too.

15. subarugirl23

subarugirl23 Member

One of the guys on here that has a 2015 launch edition STI says he put 17's on and it cleared. ill double check with the dealership. If you know or see anyone on here selling a setup for it, let me know!

16. djhamp

djhamp Well-Known Member

This is what I got for my 2016 STI from Tire Rack - it has been fun in this first snow
    17x7.5 Monte TITANO MT6 Vita MT TITAN
    235/45R-17 General Altimax Arctic