P2102 Throttle actuator control (TAC) motor - circuit low

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by pinjasaur, Jan 26, 2022.

1. pinjasaur

pinjasaur Active Member

Started the Saabaru this morning, let it idle for a few minutes, then drove 2 min to the local gas station. Got gas and upon restarting had a rough idle with a solid CEL for the above P2102 code.

Throttle incredibly unresponsive, was able to limp it home in 1st, but couldn't get beyond about 1500rpm. Pulled it into the garage and upon restarting it to move it back a bit more, the car started normally no CEL and normal throttle feel.

I haven't experienced this CEL / behavior before. A quick search seems to point towards a relay? Was also instinctively thinking checking the throttle plate/body since it's likely neglected.

I also blew a circuit or something in the garage after turning on a spacer heater and going to close the door. So I need to get that figured out to get this figured out.

Good times. Any of you smart people have ideas?

2. euro

euro Well-Known Member

Bad relay, bad tps module on the throttle body or possibly Throttle body icing

pinjasaur likes this.
  3. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Parked outside? Or in the garage? Temps “feel like” -33 degrees.

pinjasaur likes this.
  4. pinjasaur

pinjasaur Active Member

Yeah, outside. Was reading -11F when I started it. Is weird it happened on restart after filling up and not on a cold cold start?

5. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Weird things happen when it’s this cold. I had a bugeye and one cold morning I couldn’t shift the transmission into any gears at all. Should have had a trans heater to assist my block heater that day.

I would check into the price of replacement for the relay and or module.

pinjasaur likes this.
  6. euro

euro Well-Known Member

my wife's 25k mile 2016 tiguan had a check engine light and extremely rough idle one cold day because of a piece of emissions solenoid that thawed an ice chunk and wedged it in the lever actuator. We have some interesting troubleshooting in the land of natural dry ice.

PJ171, tangledupinblu and pinjasaur like this.