Painting wheels without clear coat?

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by PaulasaurusREX, Mar 3, 2010.

1. PaulasaurusREX

PaulasaurusREX Well-Known Member

I'm going to be painting my summer wheels and am planing on going with a self etching primer then a low gloss engine enamel for the final coat. Is it really necessary to do a clear coat of sorts over the enamel paint? Just seems that it'd be much easier to touch up a wheel chip if it didn't have a clear coat layer. Also not looking for a high gloss finish, would rather it have the finish of low gloss/satin. I think Rustoleum might have a satin clear coat.

I've done this with a past set of wheels but I no longer have that set. Maybe Chris will post up how well they held up while he had them mounted? Any chips?

2. readymix

readymix ...Lest ye be trod upon... Staff Member

Just put a few more color coats down in place of teh clear. You should be fine.

3. Shibbs

Shibbs The Daywalker

I didn't use any clear with mine. Guy at work still has them on his DD and they're holding up very well, even after over a year of being beaten and bruised. Like Mix said, extra coats of paint. I used exactly the same thing you did - green self-etching, and then low gloss engine enamel.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Ctracey218

Ctracey218 Playpen Wrangler Staff Member

5. PaulasaurusREX

Sweet, looks great shibbs, exactly what I was looking for. Thanks Shibbs/Mix

6. Tim the Plumber

Tim the Plumber Well-Known Member

should have left them primer green shibbs! They only benefit i can see of doing the clear coat would be if you want a more glossed finished it will help out a lot.

7. errorcode3

errorcode3 Member

from the many things i have spray bombed, this is the only thing you gain. Since from my experience if you slack on the prep it chips anyways, doesn't matter if you have clear coat or not. just primer, sand, paint, sand, paint repeat until your happy. or you can just wipe down between coats since spray paint leaves a dusting if your painting the rims close to each other. or use steel wool instead of sanding that stuff works amazing especially for non-gloss paints.

8. dmoo

dmoo Well-Known Member

prep, spray and drive. no clear needed unless you want mega gloss

9. PaulasaurusREX

I'll be updating my "Grocery Getter" thread as the project takes shape. Prep will start soon and i'll be having my friend spray them up as he is much better with a spray can than I.

10. Moleness

Moleness I can change the internet Staff Member

This worked well for me ;)

11. Ryan

Ryan Sled drifting master

Just take your time, don't rush it. I used clear on mine, but I wanted a factory-look with my paint job. Also having someone who knows what they're doing always helps.

[​IMG]

12. wrexinator03

wrexinator03 Banana Cream

i just did my bbs's last night, etching primer, and semi-gloss black engine enamel, i threw 2 coats of clear on mine, but no need to, didnt on my old rotas and they looked great!

13. burtonboy00

burtonboy00 Well-Known Member

If you want a completely flat color then go without the clear coat, just do a couple extra coats of your main color. On a side note if your doing multiple colors or textures (matte or glossy) be sure to mask whatever you dont want to be glossy...Made that mistake on my first rim :( on either side of the orange the black looks a little glossy. [​IMG]

14. Aegis

Aegis TAKE IT!

^ Saw these yesterday they look really nice. The pictures don't really do it justice.

15. PaulasaurusREX

Have any pictures you could post? I'm using the same combo.

16. PaulasaurusREX

What paint/color did you use?

17. Ryan

Ryan Sled drifting master

Sandblasted rims - Duplacolor gun metal wheel paint and clear coat. Multiple coats of both.