Parking/storage Space

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by mctenold, Aug 13, 2018.

1. mctenold

mctenold Well-Known Member

Hi guys,

I live and work in NYC. I keep two cars here at my in-laws in Cottage Grove. My Subaru and my '64 Ford. They have been kind enough to let me store them here, but it can be a hassle for them (moving them around, working around them, etc), so I'm looking for other storage options.

I'm typically back here at least 5 times a year, sometimes for stints as long as a month (mid-December to mid-January, for example). So the cars will be stored for the majority of the year but needs to still be accessible for times that I'm here.

Has anyone ever rented storage space from a private party? I have from someone I have known, but not from a stranger on Craigslist (came across this post: https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/wsh/prk/d/auto-rv-boat-etc-indoor-and/6658138306.html). It kind of makes me nervous to just leave two vehicles at a random persons house.

Has anyone rented storage like this before? Was there a written contract? Not sure how my insurance companywould like this if something actually went wrong (theft, damage). Any advice is appreciated!

2. Fienix

Fienix Well-Known Member

Absolutely get a written contract no matter who you store it with.

3. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

+1 I’ve stored my old 64 in a pole barn and had a contract with the guy. Wasn’t super easy to access like you need tho. But it went smoothly otherwise.

4. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

Your insurance agent should be able to fill you in on that aspect. There might be some variables from company to company. He makes a commission, let him (or her) earn some of it and give you correct advice rather than a car forum member speculating.

5. MidnightImpreza

MidnightImpreza Well-Known Member

I would NOT rent from a complete stranger from Craigslist. I'd prefer a storage facility.

My 2 cents (that don't matter to most, but still sound advice).

;)