Post up your woodworking projects

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by TMF, Jan 20, 2015.

1. AspitFire

AspitFire Well-Known Member

Sheen, i didn't know you were into aquaponics...we should chat sometime.

2. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Lol, Lefty and his minions use it all of the time i thought!? Josh, he's into aquaponics, hydroponics, and hooked on phonics in case you were curious.

FWIW Jordan, Hitachi is an amazing brand! My dad and i used a Hitachi 10" compound sliding miter saw when i was 15 years old doing siding/framing/soffits/etc/etc. He still uses it now on his projects, 20 years later!

3. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

Rounding down, I see.

tangledupinblu likes this.
  4. xluben

xluben Well-Known Member

Well I bought. TMF convinced me.

5. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

Thanks I appreciate the feedback! I'm definitely looking forward to having my own quality/reliable saw.
    I'm sorry?..errr... you're welcome!

6. whitey

whitey Well-Known Member

Two years ago my good saw finally crapped out. I got hosed on taxes that year so another Bosch slider wasn't in the budget. I ended up buying a cheap Performax 10" slider on sale for $149 at Menards. It's no Bosch but surprisingly it's not a bad little saw. I've used the hell out of it and it still works great

7. tangledupinblu

Hush you...

This could have been labeled "woodworking"...
    image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Sheen's ongoing project home! :p

8. whitey

whitey Well-Known Member

Sweet I sold both of these today for $1000 each. Downside, none of it will be spent on my car. Welcome to marriage, my wife is BORING when it comes to cars.

Attached Files:

9. idget

Do you do commissioned work?

10. whitey

whitey Well-Known Member

Yeah I can definitely do that. The second bench in the pics I custom built for the guy so he could fit 6 helmets in the top. It was going in his GARAGE, I'd like to see this so called "garage."

11. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

Anybody ever use the Kreg jig for kreg joints? It seems like a nice idea...but $100 just to get the jig kit seems a bit steep.

12. tangledupinblu

Yep. They work nice! I saw a smaller version at Menards for $40 or $60? That's where we got ours.

13. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

I watched an infomercial for the Kreg Jig and it made me want one even though I don't build furniture.

14. scrltspedstr

scrltspedstr Well-Known Member

i have the kreg jig kit
    its nice, great strong joints
    great for repairs too

15. xodad2

xodad2 Well-Known Member

20150525_151624.jpg 20150525_151641.jpg
    It's not wood but, made a luggage rack for the father-in laws bike. Going to paint it tomorrow .
    It's functional , just not too pretty. He only needs it to work for his trip to Florida and back.

16. tangledupinblu

Looks like it'll work! Maybe cut some maple planks and put them on there, then a little polyurethane, and you are golden! ;)

Ctracey218 likes this.
  17. xodad2

xodad2 Well-Known Member

If I had more than one day to make it, it would have been better. He needs it painted and installed by 4:30pm tomorrow, so he gets what he gets.

18. tangledupinblu

Must paint chrome...

xodad2 likes this.
  19. xodad2

xodad2 Well-Known Member

That's the plan...

20. pleiades

pleiades Well-Known Member

Planter box made with cedar and some corrugated steel that I had left over from my laundry room remodel. Inner supports are just treated pine (birthday gift for my mom this year).

Attached Files:

21. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

Pics? Curious to see that.

22. pleiades

No before pics, but here's what it looks like now (I let my daughter pick the color). It was a pretty big job for such a small room. I painted the floor, unfinished ceiling, and the one finished wall, changed the light fixture, trimmed everything out with pine, put up plywood and then the corrugated steel on the 3 unfinished walls (even fabbed an access door for the coaxials that are now hidden in the wall), and installed a new washer and dryer in a different location from the old ones.

Attached Files:

23. pleiades

Sorry, not sure why the photo ended up sideways...

24. djhamp

djhamp Well-Known Member

Here is something different, combining woodworking, computers and electronics, a pinball machine I just finished, plywood, 46" TV for playfield, computer inside. Force feedback and sound, plays is pretty realistic, no end to the games you can load into it, I have over 40 so far. IMG_1634.JPG

25. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

Holy balls...

26. phi11

phi11 Well-Known Member

Sharpened my axe.
    [​IMG]

TMF, djhamp and tangledupinblu like this.
  27. Windchaser

Windchaser Member

I made these cornhole boards for my sisters wedding a few weeks back. image.jpg

28. JuStaWRX

JuStaWRX Well-Known Member

I have been trying to slowly learn more about wood working and make some small projects. One of my buddies recommended I start following "FixThisBuildThat" on Instagram. He has some free PDF project downloads, does free give aways, and highlights followers projects. I have noticed he has a tendency to really like salvage wood projects which is something that I have really admired. Keep posting projects! They look great!

29. tangledupinblu

Yeah, "salvaged wood" projects/designs are the new granite countertops/ stainless steel appliances. Lol

I like the look of reclaimed, just despise how trendy it's become. I usually buck the norm tho. Hahaha

30. idget

Hey it's a good way to make some money off of rotting wood you pulled off an old barn.
    Just wait till concrete counters become more trendy.

31. tangledupinblu

They already are.

As stated, i like the reclaimed wood!(lol) I didn't wear Hilfiger jeans when they were popular either.

All this talk makes me want to go out and start on a new project.

32. JuStaWRX

JuStaWRX Well-Known Member

So I've become a slight Ridgid whore...and I'm not sorry. It has been really fun learning about these tools, seeing their versatility, and making some fun projects for home and for my classroom. For the time being, it has become a welcome distraction for the time I used to put into the WRX, and now am holding back on with the FXT because of warranty.

I have had a few projects going lately, and thought I'd post up some progress. Getting an early start on Christmas, and I am making a set of adirondack for eat set of parents (mine and the in-laws) with some of the nicest cedar I've seen come from Home Depot in quite some time.

We also had a chance to go out to a farm in River Falls yesterday to build some masts to hold up a canvas cover for this 1928 sail boat. Quite the project (the masts and the boats) but such a cool thing to be a part of! Here are a few pics. I hope to have the first set of chairs assembled today, and the second hopefully next weekend before my next graduate program begins.

EDIT: Struggling to upload photos. It's telling me that they are too big for the server. I have never had this problem before..

Last edited: Oct 11, 2015
  33. MinnesotaFTW

MinnesotaFTW Well-Known Member

Made this in Woodworking Class last week :) It's meant to be a FMIC with STI lettering on. I went to Michaels last night to pick up the paint needed for the STI lettering. Should probably be close to the actual color code, but I ain't hoping for 100%.

[​IMG]

Deathly likes this.
  34. Ylime

Ylime Well-Known Member

I refurbish old pieces of furniture. I also have made a few of my own things. I have a fb page called 2ndthymedesigns. I will try get pics later.

JuStaWRX likes this.
  35. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

I had no idea you did this stuff, very cool!

36. Ylime

Ylime Well-Known Member

Haha yep just started when I got my house. I love thrift shopping and garbage searching for fun things to paint.

37. idget

Oh, refinishing... forgot how much I hate it.
    Refinishing this crappy kitchen table that had a bunch of water rings and gouges in it. Burned through the veneer on one of the leafs but fixed it reasonably well. Currently 2 poly coats in. Probbaly end up doing 3 more throughout the week.

[​IMG]

pre-sanding after poly:
    [​IMG]

38. Vector

Vector Rally Organizer

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Depressing topic warning...

My dad passed away at the end of August. This is the urn which his ashes will be interred (buried) in. My dad was the one who taught me the basics of woodworking - and cars, and music and a lot of other things. He wasn't one to appreciate fancy things for the sake of being fancy, but he valued the effort and passion that made into handmade, uniquely crafted things.

I found about 5 board feet of this really nice flamed walnut in rough-sawn 13/16 board, 9" wide. Took about 5 linear feet of it, planed it down to 1/2". Dovetail joints for the main box, solid brass hardware (including feet, not shown). Hand-rubbed Danish oil finish. Hardware still needs to go on (need to cut a pocket to make the hinge sit flush).

JuStaWRX, EricS, phi11 and 3 others like this.
  39. tangledupinblu

That flamed walnut looks beautiful Mark, nice choice!

40. GrumbleRumble

GrumbleRumble Well-Known Member

Designed and made some Adirondack chairs for @jetfuel 's new house.

0927151331a (1).jpg

0927151331b (1).jpg

Capture.JPG

41. Vector

Vector Rally Organizer

Nice. Do the boards that make up the back taper down, or is that an optical illusion from the photo angle? Made of cedar?

I've been thinking about making some for our cabin for years. That design is one of the most attractive I've seen.

42. GrumbleRumble

GrumbleRumble Well-Known Member

Thanks, I looked around and didn't find much that I liked either, so I took a shot at designing some myself. The back slats do have a taper to them, it never looked quite right when I was laying out straight slats. I'd be happy to share what I came up with as far as template drawings if you want. Some of the details changed when I was constructing them, so I need to update them yet. I made them out of cedar decking and finished with clear water sealant.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
    EricS likes this.
  43. Vector

Vector Rally Organizer

Yeah, I'd love to see the drawings if you're willing. I did a new table for our cabin deck a little over a year ago using cedar decking, and many layers of waterborne polyurethane (it's a table, needs to take abuse and the cedar is so soft). Something like this would look nice alongside it.

44. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

Very nice. I'm sorry to hear about your loss. That is a very awesome way to pay your respects to your father though.

These look awesome also! Kudos to you for designing your own. I normally end up designing my own creations, but they have been fairly basic thus far.

As I plan on making more projects, I've been trying to find good plans online, but it seems nearly impossible to find decent plans for free. Does anyone have a good source for designs and/or a reasonably priced one that is excellent? Otherwise I'm back to pencil and paper...my next project is a simple entry-way bench.

45. pocketrocket

pocketrocket Well-Known Member

As lame as this may sound coming from a dude...

Go check out Pinterest