Power Probe Bleed Caps vs Motive

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by loxx0050, Aug 29, 2019.

1. loxx0050

loxx0050 Well-Known Member

I'm looking to replace my Motive Power Bleeder 3 prong cap as one of the tabs is broken so it won't properly seal. Was planning on a brake fluid bleed eventually before it get too cold.

I'm disappointed with the fitment of the Motive 3 prong "Ford" cap. Previously had the metal one and couldn't get it to even fit (ever) on my previous Evo X vehicle. Traded it to another Evo guy for the plastic version. Well, that plastic version my brother was able to get it to work with an 2007 Forrester but for my 2014 Outback I never was able to get it to seal properly.

I experimented with making my own cap with an OEM replacement....that failed miserably as I can't get enough compression on the homemade gasket on the reservoir. It appears I've bent one of the tabs on the reservoir so I'm calling a fail on my custom cap experiment.

Anyways, found this Power Probe version while looking for a cap for my Wife's Honda to also bleed those brakes.

https://www.powerprobe.com/brake-bleeder-adapters

Anybody use these one here or know of somebody who has? Leaning towards getting the 3 prong one for the Outback and a Honda one (have to figure out what size since there are several listed). Sure they are more expensive than the Motive plastic ones but I just don't have confidence in their caps anyways.

[​IMG]

2. euro

euro Well-Known Member

I've never seen one of those before. I've always used the Motive ones without issue.

3. loxx0050

loxx0050 Well-Known Member

Just an update since I actually bought one of these last week....this cap is the best out there!! It is superior to Motive's in every way in ease of installation and removal along with perfectly sealing. The secret (which I didn't notice until I received mine) is the black piece below the nipple is an o-ring expanding adjustment dial to seal. When that adjustment is loosened all the way it is as easy to screw on/off the this cap as an OEM cap. With this there was no fussing with getting it properly seated and also it being very difficult at times to remove the Motive 3-prong "Ford" caps (plastic or metal).

See this video on how they are tightening the cap down for the o-ring to properly seal. (at the 0:52 point)

I'm definitely going to get one for the Wife's Honda but trying to find a deal on one currently (it is much more expensive than the 3 pronged cap).

Krazylegz1485 likes this.