power steering flush?

Discussion in 'DIY Instructables' started by Romeski613, Oct 16, 2015.

1. Romeski613

Romeski613 New Member

about to attempt a power steering flush on my 2008 sti hatchback , anyone have experience doing one? just curious to what method works the best. I've watched videos on the turkey baster method and unhooking the return line and draining it that way?

any input will be helpful thanks

2. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

Draining it from the rack under the car is probably the "best" way. It is also the most inconvenient, so most people end up doing the "turkey baster method." You could unhook the return line also, but be VERY careful to make sure the reservoir doesn't run dry subsequently let the pump run dry.

I usually end up doing the turkey baster method - suck out as much fluid as possible, refill, run the car, repeat 3-5 times.

3. Shane86

Shane86 Well-Known Member

easiest way is to pull the return hose off the hard line, and run it into a bucket. Then remove the power steering belt accessory belt. Jack the car up so you can turn the wheels without effort.
    Suck out the bad fluid from the resivior, andtop it off with fresh, then spin the pump by hand until you get clean fluid out of the return.
    Then sweep the wheels hard left and repeat, same with hard left.. Do it a few times

pbedroske likes this.
  4. thomas franz

thomas franz Well-Known Member

Draining from the return line is way easy IMO. And if you somehow mess up your hose its easy enough to cut/install a new one. I also blew my lines out with air to get anything left behind out. Doesn't hurt to pull/clean the reservoir either.

5. thomas franz

thomas franz Well-Known Member

Not sure what your car will take but my 02 wrx uses dextron ATF fluid.