Power steering woes

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by Butthau5, Mar 7, 2021.

1. Butthau5

Butthau5 Well-Known Member

I'm having a hard time with getting power steering to work in my new to me turdbox. Can't for the life of me figure out what I missed. I've installed the power steering pump, lines and rack and pinion from my old car. The only part I haven't taken from my old one is the reservoir and the hose that goes to the pump. I've watched numerous videos where they walk through bleeding the system but I can not for the life of me get the same results they do. The fluid never seems to leave the reservoir and when the car is running it bubbles up like crazy turning it all into a frothy foamy mess. Starting to think that somehow there is a blockage in the one hose I chose not to swap, however I find that unlikely, still it wouldn't surprise me the least if that ends up being the case as everything else about this car has proven to be pure garbage.
    I hope someone can shed some light on this for me.

2. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

Would help to know what vehicle this is on. Although most Subarus have virtually identical systems.

Foamy fluid in the reservoir is generally a leak between the reservoir and pump, sucking air in. If the reservoir is mounted right on the pump, there's an oring there, if it's remote-mounted, there's a fitting on the pump with an oring, and a hose, which can get hard. Sometimes a conventional screw clamp can solve that.

Butthau5 likes this.
  3. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

I fixed my power steering groaning and bubbling/foaming by replacing the oring on the pump inlet.

euro likes this.
  4. Butthau5

Butthau5 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the help it was indeed the feed hose just before the reservoir. Every time I cut a corner I pay for it tenfold, I should probably stop doing it. Good news is I think I'm road worthy now.

Attached Files:

5. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

That is sound advice! Now to apply it.:D

Congrats!

Butthau5 likes this.