Pricing/Negotiations feedback

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by The_H_is_O, May 9, 2018.

Tags:
  1. The_H_is_O

The_H_is_O New Member

So I am getting real close to pulling the trigger on 18' Outback...

Does anyone have any experience on pricing/negotiations with any specific dealers?

I have read good things about Grand Subaru in Chicago, but I would prefer to keep it local (Twin Cities). At the end of the day, I have 5 mouths to feed so I am looking to save as much as I can.

I would greatly appreciate any feedback on dealers, sales ppl, or techniques that worked for them when purchasing a new Subaru.

Thanks in advance!

2. JasonoJordan

JasonoJordan Well-Known Member

Are you trading anything in?

3. The_H_is_O

The_H_is_O New Member

Probably a 2010' Honda Civic, if my Sister-In-Law doesn't make up her mind on buying it from us.

4. JasonoJordan

IF you do have trade in remember to treat them as separate transactions. I like to try and get the best price I possibly can for the new vehicle before mentioning anything about a trade in.

5. The_H_is_O

The_H_is_O New Member

I hear you. I also like to take the trade-in to other dealers to get a market value for it to know what the trade has to beat. Keep in mind though there is always the tax savings if you do the trade.

For example I have already taken the Civic to Carmax and got a quote for them to buy it without a purchase from them. If I can get the same price or better from the Subaru dealer then I am ahead because I will only be paying taxes on the difference from the trade in and the purchase price of the new vehicle rather than tax on the entire purchase. Carmax was good to point this out too in there price to encourage me to buy from them.

I plan to take the Honda to Buerkle where we bought it and get a second price to buy it out from us to make sure I have the right price the Subaru dealer has to beat after the price is confirmed on the new Outback.

6. JasonoJordan

Yep. There is also money available I hear from Subaru ambassadors if you know any strike up a convo with one over a beer or a coffee on you to discuss the ambassador coupon and I am sure they will be able to help you out with that from what I understand.

The_H_is_O likes this.
  7. The_H_is_O

The_H_is_O New Member

Really good beer I know
    Subaru Ambassadors I don't know (yet?)

I followed one the other day though while making daycare drop off of Cayuga St. in St. Paul. Crosstrek with vinyl ambassador on the back glass and loaded gear basket (tire, jack, etc.). Back in my heyday I had a Jeep Cherokee with a loaded Yakima Mega Warrior basket, extension, spare tire, etc. that ran the entire size of the roof. Made the thing look tough for what it was. Hoping to get back to those days with the Outback.

8. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

The_H_is_O, Aegis and Mnelson like this.
  9. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

Take the salesman out back (pun intended) and threaten to beat the living snot out of them. Only works if you're big and imposing.

Aegis likes this.
  10. MN_XV_712

MN_XV_712 Well-Known Member

Sounds like you spotted @MNtrek1327. He lives in the area.

11. JasonoJordan

There are several of us with lifted outbacks/crosstreks in the metro. If you have the facebooks I can send you an invite to our MtnRoo Minnesota facebook group.

JuStaWRX, MN_XV_712 and The_H_is_O like this.
  12. Volatle

Volatle Well-Known Member

https://www.cargurus.com

I like this website to see comparable prices. It gives you a good sense of where you should be.
    If it says the best deal in the nation is -4k, i'd feel comfortable at -2k kind of thing.
    Don't buy a car the first day you stroll in, take time and negotiate options.
    Add the premium packages, then get the deal you want on it and subtract what you don't really need. Especially if you're buying brand new.
    Also, the best service department is at Minnetonka Morries from my experience around the cities. So take that into account and typically a dealership will be more willing to help on your car if you buy from them. As their sales department has the money/funds to get your issues fixed.

tangledupinblu likes this.
  13. MN_XV_712

MN_XV_712 Well-Known Member

Yes come join us!

14. The_H_is_O

The_H_is_O New Member

Done thanks to @JasonoJordan ... Now, I just need to work on pulling the trigger

15. Squiggly

Squiggly Squiggly

Thanks Josh! Shoot me a PM if I can help. We're a non negotiating group but all new Outbacks are $1000 below invoice. This is more aggressive pricing than my employee discount last year. We also have some great programs like unlimited car washes and a lifetime of powertrain coverage.

Mike

16. tonyv

tonyv Well-Known Member

If you don't mind the drive. Just go to Grand. Most of the MN Subaru dealers wont negotiate prices. When I bought my new wrx back in 2015, dealers were set on 27k-28k for a new 2016 base wrx. I got a brand new wrx for about $25,700 from Grand Subaru.

17. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

I sold my FXT to Morries buying center and they were great to work with. Simple, easy, and they actually negotiated up on the price.

For buying new...I hestitate to recommend dealers out of state because Morries is a decent supporter of the local Subaru community. However, I did save about $2k by buying mine at Evanston Subaru.

Buying from Morries locally is nice if you plan on taking advantage of the extra perks (free maintenance I believe, car washes, etc).

18. sneefy

sneefy Well-Known Member

In my experience, there is no such thing as a non-negotiating dealership. I have always negotiated successfully, even after the sales guy told me they don't negotiate. I haven't bought from Morries, so I can't speak for them, but I have from Walser, and other dealerships that are supposedly 'one price' and negotiated every time to a solid deal. You just have to go in very well educated about what the pricing is including invoice of course, but also holdback, what the manufacturer pays the dealership for every car sold, etc. The invoice price is just a beginning. Be a pain in the butt. It's worked for me.

Aegis, tangledupinblu and The_H_is_O like this.
  19. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

Likewise... but I do it all online then bring those price quote emails in person to different dealerships after a separate initial trip for test drives.

Aegis and sneefy like this.
  20. pillboy

Bloomington Subaru is a Luther dealership and I am sure Luther stores are not one-price stores.

21. sneefy

sneefy Well-Known Member

The are not. But I've had multiple sales guys at Luther stores claim they don't negotiate.

22. pillboy

That's interesting. It just perpetuates the general public's consensus that car salespeople cannot be trusted. A friend just bought a TLX from Bloomington Acura and myself a Q50 from Bloomington Infiniti and selling price was negotiated at both stores.

Aegis, sneefy and idget like this.
  23. skubi1

skubi1 Well-Known Member

A little old, but here's a good article about insane things that a dealership charges that they should be eating https://www.autoblog.com/2013/05/20/avoid-car-dealer-fees/
    They'll sell you on extras like free car washes, oil changes, and gas coupons (they have deals with certain gas stations).
    Go in with multiple dealership quotes and have them fight each other. The internet is your friend and their enemy.
    Just remember, they don't own one single car on their lot, and every day, they're eating a financing fee on every single car on their lot.
    The "very best price" thing was implemented because haggling is a lost art form, and it's turned buying a car into a McBusiness...in and out as fast as you can and feeds on millennial's in and out as quick as you can with as little confrontation as possible. Best piece of advice that my dad gave me about buying a car is to not get attached to a car (they're all brand new and exactly the same, maybe with an extra option or two), and don't be afraid to walk away.

24. Squiggly

Squiggly Squiggly

Most dealer groups in town say they are non negotiating but only Morries will stand behind their policy and not play games. Of course there are exceptions for things like rebates/coupons and always trade ins, you do have say in what your car is worth.

Mike

25. sneefy

sneefy Well-Known Member

Yup. That reputation is well earned and continues to be true.

Amusing anecdote: 15 years ago, I tried selling cars. I learned just how shady the business is from the inside at two different dealerships.

For example: There was a recent trade in that was desirable so it was rushed onto the lot. I had a customer looking at it and was asking questions about it. Long story short, my used car sales manager told me to tell the customer that the brakes were just done when I knew for a fact they weren't. He instructed me to lie right to the customers face. I called him on the lie and refused. I left that day at the end of my shift and never went back.

That manager is now a sales guy at Morries Brooklyn Park Subaru last I saw (though that was a few years ago). If you get a sales guy named C.J., run the other way.

I lasted 6 months in that business because I refused to be dishonest. The other dealership wasn't quite as bad, but still shady. My experience buying cars from dealerships tells me not much has changed, though the industry swears that sort of thing is in the past.

No offense to squiggly. I hope your store is different.

Oh, don't go to Richfield Bloomington Honda either. Those guys are old school. Every other word is a lie.

phi11, pcwerk, Aegis and 2 others like this.
  26. pillboy

Interesting comment on that Honda store. Over the years I have visited that location a couple times and was so put off by their attitude...it seemed like they thought they were doing you a huge favor by even acknowledging your presence and that you might not be worthy enough to be considered for the exalted automotive treasure that is Honda. Eff them and their pretentious a$$es. What dealer group owns Richfield Bloomington Honda?

tangledupinblu and sneefy like this.
  27. sneefy

sneefy Well-Known Member

"Tom Wood Automotive Group"
    Never heard of them. Looks like they are mostly in Indiana.

pillboy likes this.
  28. pillboy

"Wood"...dick name if I ever heard one.

Cotts612, tangledupinblu and sneefy like this.
  29. retreif

retreif Well-Known Member

30. Stormtrooper1

Stormtrooper1 Well-Known Member

I feel like I maybe dealt with this guy before I bought my crosstrek a few yrs ago. My interaction with whoever it was in sales at Morris’s BP left a bad taste in my mouth. I won’t go there.

Im planning to drive past BP to go to Minnetonka when I need my next service, because I’m not really thrilled with my recent interactions in St Cloud.

31. pillboy

I suspect most service departments prefer to deal with the uneducated (automobile-wise), less-than-fussy, general populace rather than the typical car enthusiast.

32. tangledupinblu

One would think.

33. pcwerk

pcwerk Well-Known Member

Yea, I worked for a guy who owned a used car lot and he would even roll back the odometer somehow...

34. pillboy

Was his name Bueller?

35. The_H_is_O

The_H_is_O New Member

Update: It looked like I was probably heading into Chicago to Grand or Evanston but White Bear came through with a competitive price so I wouldn't have to spend time/money driving into Chicago.
    This was the best scenario for me since White Bear was the closest to my home and I had already developed a relationship with their Internet Manager (Matt Fox) when he provided me a overnight test drive to try out kids in three car seats.

I would suggest anyone looking for a Subaru to contact Matt Fox at White Bear Subaru. He knows his stuff and was happy to accommodate my requests.
    [email protected]
    952-388-8176

PS...I don't get any kickbacks for referring

36. JasonoJordan

Thanks for the feedback. Hope their service has improved since they separated the building from Acura. When I was there for service on my BRZ 3-4 years ago the service department was expensive and horrible compared to other dealers in the area.

37. pcwerk

pcwerk Well-Known Member

No, Wu. And this was 20yrs ago in Houston Texas...

38. 007

007 Active Member

Bought my new 2018 WRX recently at Minnetonka Subaru. Great to deal with all around and they are car guys.
    Ask for Mike Clapper. Good guy. He knows his cars and Subaru’s. Used to work for Grimmspeed.

39. tangledupinblu

Mike(squiggly) is the man!

phi11 likes this.
  40. pillboy

It's always more fun to buy a car from a knowledgeable salesperson.

41. 007

007 Active Member

Do yourselves a favor MNSubaru patrons. Skip the trip to St. Cloud Subaru.

So bad, they are laughable.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
    Stormtrooper1 likes this.