....progress.....

Discussion in 'Photo & Video Gallery' started by FuJi K, Jun 16, 2006.

1. FuJi K

FuJi K Well-Known Member

just stuff.......

[​IMG]

2. kickin_81

kickin_81 Well-Known Member

Looks like a progress on your project. Don't rush it or else you'll have your wiper blades turn on when your headlights come on (or something of that sort).

3. Dream

Dream Well-Known Member

:laugh: :laugh:

4. FuJi K

FuJi K Well-Known Member

so...I HAD to convert it because I didn't have the recirculating pipe......
    we'll see how it works.....I still have to degrease the crossmember and then finally put in the motor....then back to my wiring.....

Much thanks to PetsMart....
    NOTE: you can see the one way valve, it's from the cruise control system.
    [​IMG]

HOW THIS works is it lets air into the vacumm line so the BPV doesn't open on idle. The spring is VERY STIFF so it should only take a little leak to make the BPV close and work like a BOV. The 1-way valve from the cruise control is there so I don't loose any boost when I'm boosting and ensures that the BPV stays closed on higher boost levels; haha like I'm every going to hit 21lbs...lolz.

This is a EJ22T swap into my '99. The factory setup didn't have a TMIC or IC. ALSO being that it didn't have the recirculating piece that connects to the BPV, I had to have it vent to the atmosphere for now. I would want to have it recirculated, helps save some gas at least you know...but I guess this could be fun as well.....

I THINK I can run a recirculating hose under the TMIC...... but eh...it's just 12psi that I'm going to push with this TD04 setup; 13psi boost cut limits me.

Total mod list of this SMALL setup....
    TD04 boosting at 12psi
    '02 WRX TMIC w/ BPV->BOV
    3" catless bellmouth turboback (x3racing off ebay)
    Perrin lightweight crank pulley
    Exedy stg 1 clutch (push style; I'm on the 2.5RS tranny)

I'l have more pics of the swap after I'm done. I'm going to get my turbo crossmember degreased and put on. Good thing my nephew had a '02 WRX front swaybar when he bought the WRX swaybars from a local member. I get to use it on the turbo crossmember! Then next is steering rack & pinion; my whiteline steering rack bushings too! Then crossmemerb up on the frame, get steering linkage connected, PS lines, control arms, swaybar endlinks, engine, & downpipe.

I have to make an extention for the TMIC y-pipe so it'll reach the turbo. IF ONLY my intake manifold was like the '02+ WRX.....then I just gotta see if my guage lights will work and my fuel pump. Finally drive around w/o dash until the next day when I'm off work....Monday I have off so I'll get everything situated that day, hopefully.

5. Deride

Deride Well-Known Member

Cool, you are one of the few making progress on your 22T project. Mine sits disassembled under the workbench in the garage ;o

6. FuJi K

FuJi K Well-Known Member

You could say, this is like a JDM Subaru turbo swap. OBDI and plugs & ECU on the driver side. neat!
    I got the motor in lastnight. Making little mods to fit the TMIC. Tomorrow I'm going to purchase some T-fittings for the breathers on the heads/crank/PCV, probably look over at Mill's Fleet Farm for some hoses or something. Gotta tighten up the engine mounts, then lower the car and start working on the top. Well...actually entend my O2 sensor wire and tighten the downpipe onto my tranny bracket, then to the turbo.

Tonight I'll rest some, I was falling asleep at work.

Amount of hours; approx:
    Wednesday - 14hours
    Thursday - 17hours
    Friday - 14hours
    Saturday - 9 hours

7. wall of tvs

wall of tvs Well-Known Member

Yikes! Don't chop your hands off, hehehehe.

Can't wait to see the final product doing donuts in parking lots. :p

8. FuJi K

FuJi K Well-Known Member

This looks a lot better....how it should have came
    [​IMG]

Here's one of my DIY mods.....T-fitting for the PCV valve.
    [​IMG]

9. prezawagon

prezawagon Well-Known Member

Looking good! Have you tried starting it up yet?

10. FuJi K

FuJi K Well-Known Member

ummm....some issues on fuel pump not priming, guage clutster light for the guages not working, and relay just clicking when trying to crank.

SO I am going to look over my wires again...and see where or WHAT I need to ground or something....

11. Substeroo

Substeroo Well-Known Member

Nice job Fuji! Keep up the good work. When you're done, you can come over and work on helping me with my swap!

12. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

welcome to my world :roll:

looks like you're making better progress than I am, good work!!

13. kvang

kvang Well-Known Member

OMG, that looks bad @$$. wanna trade.hehehe start that beast up. check ground wires???

14. readymix

readymix ...Lest ye be trod upon... Staff Member

Lightweight GC/GF chassis: check
    EJ22T: check
    Larger turbo than a VF-11: check

You should be good to go.

BTW, that looks like a pretty clean swap...nice work.

15. FuJi K

FuJi K Well-Known Member

Here was some of the trouble shooting........

When Dao was putting on the bolts and the starter on the driver side, he forgot to hook up the +power to the starter and the wire clip, which was why the relay was clicking....haha THEN the iLLUMINI thingy was on the dash crossbar, so we unscrewed it and cliped it on, so my dash lights are working now. ALSO the signal, I took the HAZARDS switch off the dash and clipped it on so now my signals are working now.

NOW, it's just the fuel pump that isn't working.....
    from the diagram, it hooks up to the fuel relay from the ECU, then from the relay, the IGNITION wire joins it from the ECU. SO it's like a loop. Then 1 wire goes to the fuelpump, the other to power IIRC. I wonder if the circuit is still no complete somewhere.....somewhere in the cut wires.

16. snbrd4evr

snbrd4evr Well-Known Member

Geeze!!! You're going to be done before me! We should get a chunk of work done this saturday... but it won't be finished until the week after next due to the rally in Maine :(

17. Deride

Deride Well-Known Member

lol, when I was letting my dash pieces dry after painting them I didn't hook the hazard switch back up.... I drove almost all the way to work before I noticed my turn signals weren't working :p

18. FuJi K

FuJi K Well-Known Member

Ya, I might finish before you, Kelly. But this is just the first step, this isn't the REAL DEAL yet.

I LOOKED over the fuel pump relay wires and they all go to the ECU just fine.
    one to ignition, one to fuel pump relay control, one to fuel pump, and other to power supply fuse box in the front. ONE of the wire splits and goes somewhere else, I duno where because it just dissapears on the diagram; says E with a shape around it, and I dunno where it goes to.

neat eh? lolz

p.s. If I can't get the fuel pump to work I might just hard wire itz!!!!!

19. prezawagon

prezawagon Well-Known Member

It shows a yellow wire going from the Fuel Pump Relay that splits and goes to the MFPI Control Unit and the Ignitor. It's labeled as for turbo only. There's also a yellow wire that goes from the Fuel Pump Relay to the Ignition relay. maybe those two are swapped?

20. Dynapar

Dynapar Well-Known Member

LMAO!

21. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

big fat black wire? that little 'E' symbol is a fancy ground, not sure why the use the E there, but if that wire is grounded, the relay should click.

I wasn't getting power from the ECU to turn on the relay (a side-effect of my Crank angle sensor problem), so I hardwired it. even ended up stringing my own wire back to the pump because I couldn't find the right wire back behind the dash.

22. Dynapar

i think that the E on the ground symbol means that it is supopsed to be ground to the engine.

23. FuJi K

FuJi K Well-Known Member

okies....what we thinks.....is that the ECU may not be getting power. SO I will check it outs.

24. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

oh...yea, that would be important. there's a diode (somewhere, I haven't found mine yet...ugh) that should supply power to the main relay (6 wires), if that doesn't have power, the ECU won't...

25. subaru4

subaru4 New Member

I couldnt believe that you towed your car down

26. FuJi K

FuJi K Well-Known Member

I know nothing!!! lolz it made it to FIRESTONE, heheheh lolz

27. curly2k3

curly2k3 Well-Known Member

oh man, and I missed it! hey Fuji, things are looking good, hope you can finish it off soon... so I take it no more SVX powered thoughts for you?

28. TSTRBOY2004

TSTRBOY2004 Well-Known Member

the only progress pics I want to see now is your car doing 4wheel drive burnouts....

29. i_subie

i_subie Well-Known Member

how long did it take fuji to finish the swap?

30. FuJi K

FuJi K Well-Known Member

If i get it done tonight and started, it'll be 2 weeks. that's 2weeks of engine install, turbo, crossmember, etc...and wiring issues.

Thing is I started working on the wires FIRST before putting it into the car. SO....it's 2 weeks downtime right now for my car since I put things in.

31. Musashi

Musashi Well-Known Member

This is awsome Fuji!

32. FuJi K

FuJi K Well-Known Member

Here's some progress....

I GOT the main replay to work with ignition ON. I've rechecked my wires and got most of them right. HOWEVER the fuel pump relay doesn't come on during ignition ON, so I connected the circuit with my test wire and the pump comes on. Great, I just need to get it to come on with ignition ON; or maybe just have a kill switch.

NOW the problem is.....seems I'm not getting my SPARK. Now I might have to check my ignition stuff now......*sigh*..... some tough work....

How it looks right now
    [​IMG]

33. Impreziv

Impreziv Well-Known Member

How goes it Fuji? I start my swap this weekend, well getting the motor out and the flywheel re-surfaced, then the v5 RA should be going in next weekend. I am too big of a panzy to attempt the wiring, so I am having Garage Tuning do it for me! I just hope mine starts when I tirn the key in two weeks or so! Good luck! I hope it runs soon!

34. tbone

tbone Well-Known Member

^^Wanna race @ Rockfalls!!! hehehe

35. FuJi K

FuJi K Well-Known Member

well...it's time to check the grounding wires and such... I need to look at a few wires carefully. Yes it takes time, but when everything is done, I'll understand why some wires where wired the way they where.

GREAT learning experience. Wires are fun, but beign it's a first time, it will take time to learn things.

SO HOPEFULLY I get something figured out....3weeks now for whole project.

36. Dynapar

cool! i hope to see you zipping around soon. your cars gonna be quiter w/ a turbo :-( it wont be the same fuji wagon.

37. i_subie

i_subie Well-Known Member

WoW. 3 weeks? It's gonna be a record! haha, this other guy wants you to do EJ22T swap for him =P Hey you got him interested in the EJ22T swap thing

38. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

the fuel pump relay should not come on just with the ignition on, it comes on while cranking. if the ECU is getting a signal from the Crank angle sensor, it grounds the fuel pump relay. if you're not getting spark either, I'd check your crank/cam angle sensors and wiring for them.

and yes.....grounds are very important aswell

39. AWDimprezaL

AWDimprezaL has more posts than you

the fuel pump primes when you turn the key on, then shuts off

40. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

not in any soob I've ever owned. including any of the legacies....

41. Tcat55371

Tcat55371 Well-Known Member

Hmmm

If you turn the key on and not start my XT you can hear the fuel pump prime, go off and then prime again and it keeps doing it.

42. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

huh.....I've never noticed it. even on morgan's wagon with the pump in the back seat.

some good reading here:
    http://www.ultimatesubaru.net/forum/showthread.php?t=60331

43. FuJi K

FuJi K Well-Known Member

It'll prime for a short 2 secs or so...then stop when you put it on "ON" position. Then when you start that's when it'll stay on.

44. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

hmmm....no wonder I couldn't get it to work.....

45. AWDimprezaL

AWDimprezaL has more posts than you

you better have this done by this weekend...otherwise, slap