Project 3.3RS

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by idget, Apr 11, 2010.

1. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

I've been convinced to document my eg33 GC swap, so here goes... project No Fuss Gus...

February 14 2010:

Happy Valentine's Day to me! Picked up a lightly modified 2000 2.5 RS sedan for dirt cheap. Started with plans to just put it back to stock and use it for winter duty and some rallyx fun. I had ideas about swapping it, eventually.

I spent 3 weeks sourcing stock parts (suspension bits, intake, brake pads) to return it back to before the first rallyx of the season. Also spent a little time diagnosing and fixing up some odds and ends (stuck iacv, blown ball joint, worn out top hats).

Ended up selling the coilovers that came with the car and recouped the majority of the purchase price of the car :banana:

March 7:

Drove it in the first rallyx event of the season. Car ran great but still felt a little heavy. Could have been due to the 220+lbs of ballast in the passenger seat ;). We both had a really good time getting Gus sorted out. The car took 2nd place in class.

[​IMG]

Decided I should get serious about gutting it and swapping it, so I started looking for an svx donor car.

April 3:

Drove it again in stock class at the 2nd rallyx event of the season. This time we had a lot more traction. Had another 200+ lb passenger all day but we both had a blast tossing Gus around. The lack of corner exit and straight line speed was taxing tho. Gus took 3rd place in class.

[​IMG]

Knowing full well that I don't really need the extra power or the lower weight, I decided to really start planning and doing a swap anyway. I come from the Tangledupinblu school of driving where the motto is "who needs fast when you can have sideways!" :laugh:

April 4:

Decided to clean out the car after the rallyx. Also decided to pull the blown front speakers and order some decent coaxes. What started as a simple interior cleaning ended up with me starting to gut the interior since I had a line on an svx that I ended up picking up later in the week.

[​IMG]

April 10:

I had blackozone, curly, and thunderdan over to pull out the rest of the RS interior, and start pulling out the svx dash and motor.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After a 15 hour day, we made some good headway. We didn't get the motor out, but it is separated and both harnesses are easily accessible and ready for merging. The RS feels so much better with pretty much only a seat, steering wheel, sunroof, and wiring left in the interior.

I also spent a good amount of time scraping the floors and using POR15 to neutralize and patch some of the rust:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next weekend the plan is to pull both motors, refresh the eg33, and do some more body work (finish the floors and start on the rear fender rust). I might prep the interior for paint as well as pull the body panels to inspect for more hidden rust.

I have some front end weight reduction ideas in mind as well (Carb0n Fib3r y0!), but likely won't have the time and funds for a couple of months. In the meantime, stay tuned!

2. carl

carl Well-Known Member

did you get the steering wheel off?

3. Dynapar

Dynapar Well-Known Member

This is going to be an excellent project. I have heard great things about the EG33 in the GC chassis. Do you have special plans regarding the exhaust/manifold? Also I am impressed by how well that POR15 took care of that rust, and your steel shift boot.

4. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

Excellent!! love to see projects like this. good work with the rust repair too, that looks awesome.

5. idget

I did! Didn't break the clock spring surprisingly.

Rather than using yout tip to shaft method, I used the smack the **** out of it with a mallet method lol

I'll be working with Nate on the exhaust. I'd like to do a true dual center exit exhaust (gt3 style). Perhaps a cross over behind the crossmember depending on how the exhaust note turns out. You like the duct tape roll shift boot? That duct tape saved my face from flying debris coming up through the floor!

Thanks! There's still quite a bit left to do with the body, but I can do that bit by bit in my free time. Wanna help pic out an obnoxious color for the exterior?

6. petrakov08

petrakov08 Well-Known Member

Doing an eg33 swap has always been in the back of my mind I wana see how yours turns out! I see plenty of svx' for cheap on craigslist

7. thunderdan1313

thunderdan1313 New Member

8. thunderdan1313

thunderdan1313 New Member

9. RexNEffect

RexNEffect Well-Known Member

Nice, Sheen! Is your Porsche getting jealous of all the attention your dedicating to Gus? :laugh:

10. Dynapar

Dynapar Well-Known Member

I kind of like the SVX e-brake lever. It looks like serious business.

11. StatGSR

StatGSR Well-Known Member

excellent to see another 33 swap underway! wish i could i had mine sorted out and running correctly... damn gremlins...

12. bubba_crx

bubba_crx Well-Known Member

Looking good so far... If u need to get rid of/ sell any of the stuff u take off lmk...

13. pksublime

pksublime Well-Known Member

wow man, shoulda called me yesterday - my wife was outta town

14. silver03

silver03 Well-Known Member

Great project sheen. Looks like fun...from here.

15. idget

This one was having intermittent spark issues with 1 cylinder. The previous owner tracked it down to the wiring between the ecu and igniter... potentially. In the process of pulling the intake manifold off, we found a ton of dry rotted and altogether disconnected lines. I'm thinking that might be a common issue given that there are 5 billion plugs and nipples under there lol

Chux, thunderdan, and I will be working on it all day this Saturday, and I'll be doing some body work Sunday if you wanna swing by and hang out.

Thanks! Deconstruction is always the fun and easy part! We'll see how the reconstruction and fabrication process pans out.

16. curly2k3

curly2k3 Well-Known Member

We could've been far more productive with more sleep the night before and a more constant flow of beer.

Those photos should be photoshopped so I have facial hair again too.

17. TSTRBOY2004

TSTRBOY2004 Well-Known Member

you know.. i was about to ask if that was you... ha ha but you looked about 14 in the pictures... ha ha ha

18. Platinum Coan

Platinum Coan Well-Known Member

So what was wrong with the SVX? :emo: Are you going to be selling parts off it? Let me know if you are, I'm sure I can use some of them...

-Jon

19. idget

Made some good progress this weekend thanks to Blackozone, Chux, Dynapar, and Thunderdan.

Pulled the eg33
    Pulled the 6speed
    Pulled the svx wiring harness
    Pulled the RS wiring harness
    More rust repair - Por15'd the RS rear quarter panels

Here's some bonus footage from last weekend:

[youtube]3jN9IdxqWaY[/youtube]

And some footage from this weekend:

[youtube]eXmVI_kK9gA[/youtube]

20. Shibbs

Shibbs The Daywalker

I think your steering column is a bit loose.

21. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

it was very rusty. and had a misfire, I suspect as a result of the 6-speed swap....some of the wires had to be moved to make room for the clutch reservoir, and weren't protected from the firewall very well.

yea, my car is full of wiring....and soon my living room will be as well. w00t!

22. Platinum Coan

Platinum Coan Well-Known Member

Oh I see... looks like a fun project! But seriously, if you have any SVX parts left over that you're getting rid of, PM me, I need to stock up on spares! :laugh:

23. blackozone

blackozone Well-Known Member

What do you need? We have a full rolling chassis with a few good body panels. Otherwise the interior is complete and all the glass is in good shape. Give idget a shopping list and he should be able to source almost anything you need.

24. Zombie

Zombie Well-Known Member

Awesome progress guys! What's a good day to pick up those wheels this week?

25. idget

Just ordered a new clutch and lightweight flywheel.

I'll be measuring and cutting and trying to fit a radiator during the week. Should get interesting.

thanks! I'm free T-Th evenings. text me if any of those days work for you.

26. carl

carl Well-Known Member

what suspension are you going to use?

27. idget

Suspension? Who needs suspension... psh

I'll corner weight it and choose front springs accordingly. I'm thinking something slightly stiffer than sti springs will support the additional weight up front well. I'll run that until the gr2's blow, then I'll think about dspecs with swift springs vs used coilovers.

28. piddster

piddster Lone Wolf

Just weld the struts solid and be done with it.:p

29. idget

Struts? Who needs struts... psh

This car will run off of voodoo magic.

Actually, struts are on the priority list after steering wheel and seats.

30. piddster

piddster Lone Wolf

Floating rally cross car? hmmm

31. wagonL

wagonL Well-Known Member

beware of the swap...as i had one...and it still runs...now fuji has it...but the power and sound will make you love it a bit too much... ;) if you need any ideas to fit the radiator...let me know...i did mines and it was pretty easy...

32. idget

Hey Dao, we'll have to talk. I was thinking of using the stock svx rad since it is thicker, yet shorter than the RS rad. Both are the same length.

I was planning on cutting away the hood latch and upper support, then notching out the lower frame and mounting it there. The only additional work would be a reinforced subframe and hood pins. Alternatively, I was going to look into whether or not I would get a custom radiator build with trapezoidal endtanks that would allow me to raise the lower mounts to the subframe, then pinch down towards the front of the car. This way I would be going shorter and less wide, but thicker core. I don't want to mount in front of the hood latch unless I can find a shorter thicker core.

33. Grayguy

Grayguy Well-Known Member

what clutch did you get?

34. idget

I went with the ACT street clutch... the one with slightly higher clamp load than stock... part number ACTSb2-HDSS. Cheapest I found was $468 shipped from Oakos.com.

I also went with the ACT streetlite flywheel.

35. wagonL

wagonL Well-Known Member

well sure! just pm me when you need me...dont put the engine in before the radiator...and also depending on how big of a new rad. you want to go with too...i just used the stock impreza rad. and it works totally fine...and you dont have to lose anything...hoodlatch and beams stays the way it is...lots of people cut the front beam for nothing...its really simple...

and for the clutch...thats a good setup...i used the "stage 1 clutch" with the X-ACT light weight flywheel thats about 10.4 lbs...

it revs fast! and the clutch bites good...becareful with the tranny...it might go on you fast too....but i used the 98 outback tranny shorter 5th..and so far that tranny holds really good..

but just let me know when you need me..i'll be able to come over and help out too!

36. atacamaR

atacamaR Well-Known Member

having ridden and driven that svx quite a few times under various owners... I find this thread very interesting, can't wait to see it's parts be put to good use Sheen. That svx was dying a slow painful death, thats for sure.

lulz, nice steering column...

37. idget

VERY impressed by oakos.com! I called and ordered the clutch/flywheel Monday and it arrived less than 48 hours later... with free shipping!

Best vendor (form a looooooong list of vendors lol) I've dealt with in a very long time.

pm'd!

I was thinking about the 10lb flywheel too, but figured 13lbs would be light enough and slightly more drivable. I'm willing to go through 2 transmissions before thinking about building the 5speed.

You like that? Did the same thing to the RS figuring it's a porsche clone the ignition should be on the left lol

38. FuJi K

FuJi K Well-Known Member

orly!!!!

39. idget

ya rly! pm'd you Fuji.

found a little time this weekend to check seals and gaskets, check valve clearances, and inspect valves. Should be ready to reassemble the motor the weekend assuming all the parts ship by then.

Also got an early bday present. nrg deep dish steering wheel and el cheapo hub adapter.

40. wagonL

wagonL Well-Known Member

if you haven't seen the vids yet...they are on youtube... just look up impreza h6...there should be 3 videos....and on chux's website there should be one with the exhaust note...

im ready whenever you're ready with the swap!

41. idget

you free Sunday?

hoping to get a lot done this weekend!

42. pksublime

well if my soccer tournament does not resolve any games, i might be down to come help

43. wagonL

wagonL Well-Known Member

well...im free after 6:30pm...whatever you do..make sure the radiator that you want is in before the engine is dropped in...and make sure the tranny is leaned down... if im not there...or if you want to wait til i get there for the engine and tranny....

what are your plans for the weekend...so far for the car?

44. pksublime

i got soccer games now so I won't be dropping in - good luck

45. idget

Chux and I will be installing the merged harness and pulling the ej out of the RS. After that I plan to mount the rad. We won't be dropping the eg33 in until at least Monday. I'm waiting on some intake manifold gaskets that should be here Monday.

Should be a pretty light day actually.