Project Dark Fury

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by yuseforester, Feb 10, 2012.

1. twiztid_rs

twiztid_rs Well-Known Member

Nice mod list on your forester... your cars twin resides in my garage down in Rochester....

2. yuseforester

yuseforester Well-Known Member

I drive through Rochester all the time, we'll have to put the twins together sometime so I can admire yours!

twiztid_rs likes this.
  3. twiztid_rs

south side of town at Advance auto parts is where is sits about 50 hours a week... Feel free to swing in whenever..

4. yuseforester

Sweet, I'll give you a heads up when I am headin that way...soon for sure! Ever there on Saturdays?

5. twiztid_rs

Yes, most of them

6. yuseforester

Well, Phase 2 is finally ironed out. Finished the install beginning of July 2012, but it's taken a couple of weeks to work the bugs out and to get the Foz dialed in just right.

Bringing this thread back from the dead, so you don't have to go back to page 1 here are the details prior to Phase 2 power mods:

-2004 FXT 5spd w/4.44 final (still on stock clutch).
    -2004 STi ECU
    -STi top mount
    -VF39, 3"
    -Invidia or Cobb downpipe (heat-wrapped)
    -SPT turbo back exhaust
    -GM Boost Solenoid
    -Grimmspeed cross-pipe (heat-wrapped)
    -Grimmspeed up-pipe (thermal coated)
    -Grimmspeed light-weight crank pulley
    -Phenolic spacers
    -K&N Panel Filter
    -Timing belt, timing assembly (idlers/pulleys) & water pump,
    -NGK Copper
    -Drag DR-33 dual drilled glossy back rims
    -...Was Pro-tuned at RS Motors for 257 WHP and 287 WTQ
    -Transmission fluids are the GS cocktail; will try put in the Extra-S next...

Then there was Phase 1 (for purposes of this thread)
    Phase 1:
    -KYB GR-2 struts
    -Swift springs for 04-08 FXT
    -Brembo Gold 4pot/2pot set-up
    -StopTech Pads
    -DBA slotted rotors front and rear (rears are the DBA rotors designed for the Brembo conversion)
    -TechnaFit stainless brake lines for Forester/Brembo conversion
    -Godspeed rear Brembo conversion brackets
    -STi brake booster and master cylinder
    -Grimmspeed master cylinder brace

So now here is where Phase 2 took the Foz:

-Grimmspeed PNP thermal coated STi intake and TGV deletes - this was a top feed conversion
    -Deatschwerks 300 LPH fuel pump
    -Agency Power V2 fuel rail kit
    -Five-0 850 cc to-feed injectors
    -STi Fuel Pressure Regulator (FPR)-Gimmick silicone turbo inlet
    - Nuke tune for 91 pump and E85 on Cobb Accessport V2 (THANKS NUKE!! Nice having you only a few minutes away!!)

Issues, bugs, and frustrations? Of Course...
    -Got the wrong wiring pigtails to start had to re-order, this was a top feed fuel rail conversion so re-wiring properly was critical
    -Agency power fuel rail kit and the Five-O's didn't quite get along, so I had to order new o-rings, and the fuel rail kit is not super high quality (fine product, but the lines were kind of a PITA).
    -Had to order an STi FPR because I overlooked that the side feed versus top feed FPR's are different.
    -Unknowingly tore the silicon inlet which later blew through and caused some massive boost leak...fixed with RTV :oops:
    -Vacuum return on the FPR was getting pinched by intercooler, so that made tuning hard --> Again, a huge thank you to NUKE for mountains of bug fixing and troubleshooting
    -Camshaft position sensor was no properly reinstalled (user error) and that was throwing a few numbers off --> just had to unplug and replug
    -Intercooler to intake silicone connector did not seat properly and made me think I blew my turbo...thank the stars on that one :cool:

I REALLY want to thank NUKE and IDGET for lending a helping hand through the process; thanks guys!!

As for numbers...no official number yet, but the seat dyno is awfully happy...I'm pretty dang happy with this set up!!

JuStaWRX and twiztid_rs like this.
  7. xluben

xluben Well-Known Member

How do you like the 5 speed + 4.44 FD combo? Seems like it would be a lot of fun on a Stage 2 + E85 car!

8. kickin_81

kickin_81 Well-Known Member

Looks like a lot of blood, sweat and tears have gone into your FXTi. I'd be interested to see what Dark Fury puts down. Good luck!

9. yuseforester

I really like the 4.44 tranny; not that anyone should "boost" hard in 5th gear, but generally all the gear ratios are pretty dang snappy, and 5th has plenty of room to move you down the road.

In other words, compared to all the 5 and 6 speeds I've driven, I'm pretty happy with this!

10. xluben

xluben Well-Known Member

Any idea what speed each gear tops out at?

11. yuseforester

I have just gotten all the bugs worked out, so I haven't really reeled any gears out just yet. Although during tuning 3rd was hitting low to mid 90's, IIRC. I'll post some more data once I get a few more miles behind the drivers seat.

12. SurlyOldManMN

SurlyOldManMN Omdat fok jou Staff Member

Ehhh... a little basic math should do the trick for you assuming you know all the ratios.

13. yuseforester

14. xluben

xluben Well-Known Member

OK, if you're gonna be like that :)

*Based on info I found online:
    http://www.car-videos.net/tools/spe...7=&Redline=7000+&Increment=100&B1=Recalculate

04 FTX 5MT w/4.44 FD - Speed at 7k rpm's:
    1. 32.8 mph
    2. 58.2 mph
    3. 82.9 mph
    4. 116.6 mph
    5. 153.5 mph
    Compared to:

http://www.car-videos.net/tools/spe...7=&Redline=7000+&Increment=100&B1=Recalculate

11 WRX 5MT w/3.9 FD - Speed at 7k rpm's:
    1. 40.7 mph
    2. 68.5 mph
    3. 99.5 mph
    4. 132.7 mph
    5. 174.8 mph
    That short gearing is probably a lot of fun, but I wouldn't want it for a drag car on any turbo bigger than stock!

15. Nuke

Nuke Well-Known Member

Nah, even on a 20g, the gearing is perfectly fine. now if we start to shoot at a 5k full boost spool, that's a bit different ;)

16. yuseforester

I'm definitely hitting higher speeds that 82 in 3rd gear, I know that for sure!! Again, somewhere near mid 90's

I'll run the Accessport and Torque application calcs and see how they compare for #'s. I did do a Torque 3rd gear pull the other day and it's WHP reading was 321 and the WTQ was 306; but I am not relying on that as accurate since it's an "application" and didn't quite have all the bugs worked out...nor was I really doing a "okay, dyno time!" pull...

17. xluben

xluben Well-Known Member

Yeah, maybe the gear ratios I got were off. Seemed strange to have the 4.44 FD and shorter gears 1st-3rd (4th and 5th are the same). This is what you get when you enter WRX gearing and a 4.44 FD:

11 WRX 5MT w/4.44 FD - Speed at 7k rpm's:
    1. 35.8 mph
    2. 60.2 mph
    3. 87.4 mph
    4. 116.6 mph
    5. 153.5 mph
    That seems a little more reasonable. 1st-3rd would probably be great for around town. 4th would be way too short for the 1/4 mile though (on a larger turbo, on a stock turbo it would be just about perfect).
    I've heard many good things about the 4.44 FD, but I never really checked how it compares. Looks kind of like STI 6 speed ratio's for the first 4 gears and then a 5th that is in between the STI 5th and 6th?
    11 STI 6MT w/3.9 FD - Speed at 7k rpm's
    1. 35.5 mph
    2. 57.7 mph
    3. 84.8 mph
    4. 113.4 mph
    5. 132.8 mph
    6. 170.6 mph

18. xluben

xluben Well-Known Member

Neither of those are very accurate. Do a few pulls from 2k to redline and then run them through Airboy or Virtual Dyno.

19. yuseforester

Thanks xluben!! Thanks for all the number crunching! I know squat about virtual dyno or airboy...but sounds like a good time to learn. Out of curiosity, you mean data log with the accessport and then run through those programs?

20. xluben

xluben Well-Known Member

Yeah, do a log with the Accessport. You only need to log time, RPM, boost and throttle position. Then load the log into Virtual Dyno.

21. yuseforester

Thanks xluben! I checked out the software last night...now all I need is a long deserted country road...

22. Nuke

Nuke Well-Known Member

36 & dale's on ramp going west.

23. Subie Lovers

Subie Lovers Well-Known Member

^ during the middle of rush hour ;)

24. yuseforester

Well....I missed Dyno Days, had a couple blown tires, but in the mean time I dug out an old data log and produced this Virtual Dyno graph...

E85, VF39, 850cc Five-O's, other good stuff:

[​IMG]

If that's even close to reality with an Accessport data log and Virtual Dyno, I'm :D + :uhhuh: + :bounce:

25. xluben

xluben Well-Known Member

What fuel are you on? On a really peaky graph like that, you need to turn the smoothing all the way up. If you want to compare to what you would see at RS, you probably want to use the "Virtual Dyno" correction setting (CF=1). Or possibly the "Mustang" setting. The Mustang setting would make sense (because RS has a Mustang dyno), but I've found that setting on VD to read pretty low.

26. BroCo

BroCo Moderator Staff Member

That looks pretty high.

27. yuseforester

Mustang Setting (smoothing at 6):

[​IMG]

Virtual Dyno Setting CF = 1 (smoothing at 6):

[​IMG]

28. Nuke

Nuke Well-Known Member

is that a log you did personally or one that we did?
    I don't remember the power falling off that hard

29. yuseforester

This is just one sample log that I did...there will be others for sure. I am probably not representing the numbers very well here, but it's a start.

30. xluben

xluben Well-Known Member

Somewhere around 300WHP sounds about right for the stock turbo and your mods. That top end looks a little weird though. It is nice to have these logs as you move forward and want to compare to where you've been :)

31. yuseforester

Thanks guys; the feedback is very helpful!! Curve may look funny due to my driving too... :) I will try again soon!

32. twiztid_rs

Peak numbers look great yusef, but from what I've seen comparatively to similar modded foresters that top end does looks a little odd like nuke and xluben said. Other then that, Good **** man!