Project "Sarah" GC8 -> Turbo Swap

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by DoughtCom, Sep 7, 2010.

1. Nuke

Nuke Well-Known Member

So what was the issue with that?
    Older LGT & FXT has the same maf as wrx/sti (which is also the same on the NA's lol)

2. FuJi K

FuJi K Well-Known Member

orly, you want race! hahaha congrats!!!

3. DoughtCom

DoughtCom Well-Known Member

My FPR was setup wrong, I had it supply pressure with a capped off rail, instead of having the fuel cycle through the rail. This is initially how I was told to set it up. In basic theory the FPR would supply even pressure on the fuel rail throughout, but knowing that the subarus are notorious for having lean issues on the far side of the rail, I decided to set up the FPR to cycle fuel through the rail and then I re-calibrated it and all was well.

Thanks Fuji, a race is definitely in order. Who knows maybe I'll even auto-x it next year.

For kicks Shane @ DB made this overlay for me, this is my Evo IX vs my Subaru's powerband... poor Subaru. She's still fun to drive though! :)
    [​IMG]

4. DoughtCom

Also... about the MAF. The '06 LGT does have a different MAF than the STi's, it has a different part number all together. Does this mean it's scaled differently? I have no idea, but it was running super rich when I did my base line.

5. Nuke

Nuke Well-Known Member

The maf scaling is diff in the ecu. Lgt airbox is not the same as wrx/sti. Sensor should be swappable.

6. DoughtCom

Sorry my terminology and lack of tuning knowledge is showing here. I meant should it be scaled differently. You sound like you have plenty of knowledge here, I was just going off of the different part #'s and noticing they were different. I'm just happy I figured out the problem :D

7. Nuke

Nuke Well-Known Member

Sweet, now let's put a 35r on that so it can be an Evo killer daily ;)

8. FuJi K

FuJi K Well-Known Member

so we gon race right? lol

hows the car running??

9. DoughtCom

Totally, I'm up for a race. The car is running great, I have a few bugs here and there but I'm just waiting until it gets warm to work them out. Other than that I absolutely love it, it's a great car. i just need to find a new body, this one I think is too gone to repair, which saddens me :(

I'm running a WRX turbo at 10PSI right now but hopefully before Uni I should have another VF39 back on which is what it's tuned for.

10. FuJi K

FuJi K Well-Known Member

orly.... I is TD04L too at the moment.... lol

wats dying on the chassis???

11. DoughtCom

Haha, it would be a close race then!

The chassis is just super rusty, I've been looking for an dead RS or even an L but they're hard to come by (I want a coupe). I've been looking all the way to Dallas even, hopefully sometime this Summer I can get that straightened out.

PM me the first time you go to Uni this Spring and I'll make it out, would be cool to catch up.

12. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

awesome build, and great thread. Thanks for all the info/pics

enjoy the car man, and good luck finding the new body!

13. DoughtCom

Been a while since I've updated this. I drove the car all Winter without any major issues. Right away the VF39 gave out, was kind of odd, but I removed all of the banjo bolt filters and the WRX turbo made it so far with 7PSI. Just got a new VF39 to tied me over for the next 3-4 months (evo is priority right now), then it's getting an FP HTA68 and corn fuel.

List of things needed to fix/repair:
    1.) Windshield Washer Sprayer Reservoir (UICP is in the way of the stock one)
    2.) Radio pod acquired and installed
    3.) Oil Pan replaced/fixed
    4.) FPR mounted in a better spot
    5.) Fix rear top hats
    6.) TGV Pos Sensor (right side) went out =/ Supposedly this is the same P# as a TPS, hell I'll probably just delete them.
    7.) Right side valve cover seal needs replacing
    8.) Speedometer needs wiring (lol)
    9.) Fix front turn signals
    10.) Find new chassis (that's not rusted) ;)

Overall I'm very very happy with the build, needs some tweaks but not bad for a car I built in a few weeks, wiring is 100% and never gave me trouble.

14. DoughtCom

Thanks man, didn't see this, still looking for one haha.

15. curly2k3

curly2k3 Well-Known Member

makes me realize I need to get moving on mine.

16. FuJi K

FuJi K Well-Known Member

hahahahha you should...... buy that Ver6 WRX swap......

17. curly2k3

why, I have a v3/4 swap right now in it, and all the stuff for a hybrid build

18. DoughtCom

Just an update...

[​IMG]

19. curly2k3

what happened?

20. DoughtCom

I wasn't being smart, I can surely tell you that. Luckily I just acquired the blue 98 RS that was in the for sale section.

21. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

Aww man, that sucks! Definitely fortunate about the new shell tho... ill help ease some of the pain and buy some parts off ya!

22. DoughtCom

All of the swap parts are going into the new shell, would you want the stock RS parts? :D

23. Ctracey218

Ctracey218 Playpen Wrangler Staff Member

I'd maybe take some parts. :)

24. DoughtCom

The next phase of this project is about to begin.

I crashed the car on my birthday due to ****ty circumstances, the chassis didn't deserve the swap anyway and was a good "practice run." I have since bought a Rally Blue Pearl 1998 (off this board) that the swap might go into. With this swap a few things will happen. Everything is going to be done right and the stock 04 STi/RS hybrid suspension will be upgraded to handle the additional power.

All bushings will be replaced with polyurethane or bushing deletes and all engine/transmission mounts will be upgraded to group n mounts. There will be even more diligence when it comes to weight reduction and the wiring harness will gone through AGAIN and will be secured more (since I've read about others having theirs catch on fire). I also plan on getting coilovers and an aluminum or carbon fiber hood and the appropriate STi external body parts.

I'll be posting updates as things come together, I won't say details but I have a lead on a JDM STi chassis that this project might merge with. I have a hard decision to make, whether I want to keep my GD dash/interior and do a USDM swap or get rid of that and do a RHD GC swap.