Radiator Finally Failed

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by BroCo, Sep 30, 2019.

1. BroCo

BroCo Moderator Staff Member

I know this is a common problem with the GD STI's and mine finally let loose after 144K miles. I was thinking about replacing it with a Mishimoto, anyone have any feedback or other suggestions?

2. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

What broke? Just curious.

3. BroCo

Looks like a crack in the radiator somewhere. Looked like a steam powered Subaru when I pulled into work.

tangledupinblu likes this.
  4. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

I've had only one radiator failure in my life. Our Toyota Camry cracked a plastic end tank. The dealer gave me the option of OEM (had to order) or a Modine (available locally same day) that was a couple hundred bucks cheaper. I went with the Modine as I was familiar with the name and thought of them as a quality product. It failed within the first few months. Both myself and the dealer were not amused. They warrantied the Modine and it lasted the rest of the life of the car. I can't remember the last time I was disappointed in an OEM replacement part.

BroCo likes this.
  5. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

I loved my Koyo. But Mishimoto makes a good aluminum one as well. I think the Koyo is bigger, but bigger isn’t always better?

6. joebush44

joebush44 Well-Known Member

Personally, not a fan of anything Mishimoto makes. KoyoRad all day. CSF is a legit company/brand as well, but I have no personal experience with them.

Burrz and tangledupinblu like this.
  7. euro

euro Well-Known Member

I had a mishimoto in my outback sport, No complaints but also wasn't going to see the limits of it's capability.

8. Burrz

Burrz Member

CSF racing is a much better quality and more efficient unit. I've also heard a few bad experiences with Mishi products, but they do have a good warranty. It's just inconvenient to have to replace it if something fails...

9. Peder

Peder Well-Known Member

+1 for Koyo

10. BroCo

Thanks for all of the input. Just pulled the trigger on a Koyo!

I have to share a review that made me LOL.

You don't allways get what you pay for but you allways pay for what you get.

My stock Calsonic radiator cracked at 110k miles. This is common so it didn't break my heart. Looked at mishimoto. After purchasing one of their parts, not cooling related, and seeing their quality I decided to pony up the extra coin.

The fan mounting holes were ever so slightly off but where very in tolerance. Packaged beautifully. Finish on radiator was extremely nice. They supplied hardware!!!!! This was cadmium plated and included spring washers which was quite nice.

Also included a stickers and I heart the crap out of stickers

11. pillboy

Stickers!!!!!!

12. Krazylegz1485

Allways...

13. Bugeyejake

Bugeyejake Member

I had a Miata that blew up a couple plastic tanked radiators so i threw a mishimoto aluminum rad on and never had problems again! Don’t know why the car was blowing up radiators though.. lol

Edit: Will keep an eye to see how you like the koyo!

BroCo likes this.
  14. derp

derp Well-Known Member

Koyo > Mishimoto all day every day. Good choice.

BroCo likes this.
  15. BroCo

Finally got around to swapping out the radiator. I'm very impressed with the quality of the Koyo Radiator! Only negative was the sticker they gave me was ****ed up!

After installing and topping off the cooling system I started the car to bleed the air off. Let it run for 20 minutes or so. Got it up to temp and waited until the bubbles quit forming. I buttoned everything up and took if for a test drive. Everything was perfect until the next morning. I get in it yesterday morning and fire it up, car was idling rough and was back firing when down-shifting. I drove it back home and noticed steam coming out of the hood scoop. I popped the hood and couldn't find anything leaking around the radiator but the steam was coming from around the turbo. I looked around the area where the steam was coming from and couldn't see any leaks.

16. tangledupinblu

Sounds like the upper tank maybe? That is close enough to the turbo/turbo heat shield

17. BroCo

I'll have to take another look at it tonight. I just shut the hood, gave her the finger and walked into the house and watched football.

18. Krazylegz1485

Sometimes that feels as good or better than fixing it.

19. joebush44

joebush44 Well-Known Member

My random guess would be the coolant hose on the back of the passenger head that goes to the turbo (from the factory it had like an accordion style aluminum heat shielding on it). Either the hose clamp to the turbo hard pipe is loose or the hose clamp that goes into the hard line into the cyl head is loose...or even the banjo fitting into the block itself. Shot in the dark.

Good to hear on the Koyo :thumbup:

20. BroCo

Do you need the OEM style hose clamps on the lower radiator hose or can worm gear clamps be used? I think that may be my issue but not sure. Just getting around to getting her back up and running for the summer.

Krazylegz1485 likes this.
  21. pillboy

I've heard that worm gear clamps do not evenly distribute clamping force around the circumference of the neck and this can be an issue with modern radiators that have composite tanks and necks.

euro likes this.
  22. Krazylegz1485

FWIW, I have "regular" hose clamps (I'm guessing the worm gear ones) on my WRX and every other vehicle we have. I can't stand OEM hose clamps. Anywho, have never had any issues with leaking.

joebush44 likes this.
  23. BroCo

A neighbor friend of mine had an OEM clamp that he gave me. It seems to be holding now. You could see that the hose was pushing off where it connects to the engine.

I need some fresh E85 put in her and then I'll take er for a rip and see if the hose stays put.

tangledupinblu and euro like this.
  24. tangledupinblu

LaXCruise...just sayin

25. pillboy