Refinish wheels? Brake fluid was unfriendly to the 5zigens

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by qstarin, Mar 12, 2012.

1. qstarin

qstarin Well-Known Member

The finish on my silver 17x7 5zigen FN01RC's was already starting to crack. Then I had little leak at the caliper and bam. That brake fluid will f**k up some finish.

So anyone wanna school me on refinishing wheels? Is powder coating the best option? Any members refinish wheels or have a good recommendation for who does? Budget is kinda limited, we just had our first child.

Got a new set of Pilot Exalto PE2's coming for these since the tires on them are beyond shot. Would be nice to fix this up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. readymix

readymix ...Lest ye be trod upon... Staff Member

Get a can of aircraft stripper. strip them all down to bare metal. clean with soap and water. wipe down with metal prep. coat with paint, duplicolor wheel silver will work. 3 coats of clear. allow them to dry for 24-48 hours. if you want, we can probably make you new blue stickers for the spokes.

3. BroCo

BroCo Moderator Staff Member

Have Powder Keg powder coat them.

PowderKeg likes this.
  4. SeanKelly

SeanKelly Member

If youre using aircraft stripper just be careful. Thats some wicked stuff.

5. qstarin

I don't really see myself painting them. Not the most patient, and I've rarely painted anything, so they'd probably turn out ****ty. Really though they probably wouldn't even get done before I'd be dying to swap off the winters since they're 1 season old and I don't want to wreck them driving in warm temps.

I appreciate the info though, readymix. I'll have to try it sometime when I have some spare fix em up wheels and no work deadline bearing down on me.

Powder Keg seems to have reasonable prices (and listed, which is convenient, and uncommon with powder coating places it seems). I may swing by their place to look at Black Chrome and Crystal Grey in person.

PowderKeg and BroCo like this.
  6. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

Oh damn, yeah there's no fixing that. Def have them blasted then painted/coated.

Pretty sure I have a set of OG 5zigen fn01r-c decals kicking around if you end up wanting them.

7. qstarin

No need for the decals, thanks though. I like de-badged.

8. qstarin

Dropped em off at Powder Keg to get done in Kingsport Grey, which should be a bit lighter than the Crystal Grey they had on a set of Volk's in their shop. I just have to decide if I want glossy clear on them too; I'm going to see how they look without first then decide.

BroCo likes this.
  9. BroCo

BroCo Moderator Staff Member

Good call, you won't regret it.

10. Deride

Deride Well-Known Member

Nice, make sure to post pics of the finished product!

11. qstarin

Still waiting on Powder Keg. When I dropped them off they thought they would have them ready today, but they haven't started on them yet. My car is sitting parked waiting with it's winter wheels/tires on. When they get a wheel done I'm going to go see how they look and decide if I want them clear coated or not. Anyone want to offer opinions on getting them clear coated?

12. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Usually they can add or subtract clear from the powdercoat mix. Lexie and i had two sets done, one was like 90% black and 10% clear for a matte finish. The others were 90% clear and 10% black which was a glossy finish. Not sure how PowderKeg does theirs, but they should be able to clear them in one shot.

13. qstarin

^ They can do clear as an additional coat. When I dropped them off they told me they'd do a set and I could come look and decide then if I wanted to add a layer of clear. I decided to take them as they were, since I though they looked pretty good as is.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. PowderKeg

PowderKeg Vendor

Man you work fast! They look good, you should get some pics of the car as a whole.

qstarin likes this.
  15. qstarin

I will post some whole car shots, cause zooming in on just the wheels doesn't do the color justice. I'll wait until I get the center caps back in there though; I'm embarrassed over the rust! ;-)

16. Hagadorn

Hagadorn Member

very nice!! love the color

17. qstarin

As requested :)

Also, for the curious, those are McGard Chrome spline lugs. Granted, they are brand new, but I'm pretty sure I like them much better than the Rays lugs I had. The color on the Rays chipped off pretty easily and the McGard lock seems more secure than the Rays lock. Also, I lost one Rays and I cannot find a replacement without buying a whole set, whereas the McGard's you can order smaller quantities like a 4 pack.

Powder Keg was great to work with! They were very personable and took time to answer my questions and discuss my options. Turn around time was a little long, but it is a busy time of year - they were at least able to give me a fairly close estimate of when they would finish the job. Their pricing seems fair, and I appreciate that it is openly listed for many items. I expect that I will be a repeat customer. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. qstarin

And with the center caps, which happened to match the Kingsport Grey almost perfectly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

PowderKeg likes this.
  19. Deride

Deride Well-Known Member

They look great!

20. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Looking good Quentin! I like how well they match the 2.5RS badges/vinyls on the sides.