Regret 2015+ STI?

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by Subie Boy, Oct 5, 2018.

1. Subie Boy

Subie Boy Active Member

Do you regret buying your 2015+ STI? I got my 2017 WRX Limited when I first moved to Minnesota. They didn't have the package I originally wanted at the time. I am contemplating swapping my car for a 2019 STI or another 2019 WRX Limited.

Quick Overview

STI Pros

• Hydraulic Steering
    • STI Drivetrain
    • Brembo Brakes
    • Roof Mounts
    • Android Auto
    • Remote Start
    • Push Start
    STI Cons
    • EJ257 Engine

2. curly2k3

curly2k3 Well-Known Member

Why is the EJ257 a con, really?

3. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Most Subaru people consider this a “con”. Because it’s known to be a crapshoot! Silly.

4. GotGrip?

GotGrip? Member

I've owned my 15 sti for a little over a year now, the only cons I've noticed were hill state assist and the seats aren't super comfy for bigger guys. Can't really think of much else, car seems pretty reliable so far even with stage 2/protune. I am curious why the motor is a con though, I know its "Old tech" but its a proven strong runner and the aftermarket is vast and unending.

5. joebush44

joebush44 Well-Known Member

EJ257 > FA20

GrawvyRobber, Leonnosyt and Nhibbs like this.
  6. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

They tend to have failures anywhere from 10-20k miles to 100k. Ring lands being the number one destructor of said blocks.

Despite all of that, when I bought a new motor for my bugeye, it was an EJ257. I was a lucky one and it was at 90k when i sold it.

7. drac77

drac77 Well-Known Member

I traded my 2015 STI in on a 2018 WRX to try out the FA20. Don't regret it one bit, cheaper insurance and my lease monthly payment is quite smaller. I am currently running the MAP E30 tune and pulls much harder than my EJ257 did at COBB Stage 1 tune and only took a 2mpg hit in my fuel economy. Besides don't forget the 2019 STI's come with the Type-RA revised engine block. Much stronger. Go for it!

8. joebush44

IMO, EJ's tend to get a bad wrap because of Subaru f*ckboys who throw all the bolt ons at it that they can without any of the required tuning. As most of us know, these cars are extremely sensitive of changes to air-in and air-out and need appropriate tuning adjustments to compensate for those changes. (Yes, even myself who is currently on his 3rd EJ shortblock within a year in the new car is defending them. Both of my failures were related to outside "semi-quasi-uncontrollable" circumstances.)

Also the RA block is identical to the '18 STi block in every way. It's a 705 casting case, same crank, same rods. The pistons, specifically the design of the skirts, were slightly revised, but it is still a cast piston. I also wasn't aware that the 19's now get the "RA block".

On a somewhat related note, the Cobb OTS maps are generally fine to run. They are conservative and safe, but if you modify the car outside the parameters that the OTS map calls far, bad stuff will happen. I feel the OTS maps get a bad wrap for the same reason the EJ, in general, gets a bad wrap. It's almost always a case of owner negligence - whether it's maintenance related, modifications without proper tuning, or just poor driving habits (WOT on a cold engine, flogging/loading up the motor in higher gears (ie. flooring it on the highway in 5/6th), bouncing off the launch control for a full minute because it makes mad rumble sounds yo, etc).

The FA is making strides in terms of aftermarket performance, but it's nowhere near capable of what the EJ is (for now). Granted the EJ has been around for far longer, the limitations of the FA may never allow for the potential the EJ has.

They both have their quirks, pros and cons.

9. drac77

drac77 Well-Known Member

Amen. Can't remember the article I read it was one of the big publications maybe MT, that stated the 2019 EJ engines had the same "robust" enhancements found on the Type-RA. Not that much of a gear head, more of a plug-n-play guy. Does revised skirts count as added "robustness"?

10. MinnesotaFTW

MinnesotaFTW Well-Known Member

This is what I tell everyone who doesn't understand Subarus are actually pretty reliable. There's a whole slew of forum posts, facebook posts, and blogs at your Google disposal. How the hell do people not understand TUNE TUNE TUNE???

2jhi02.jpg

11. joebush44

Jeff Sponaugle actually purchased a brand new RA factory assembled shortblock for the sole purpose of tearing it down to compare differences. Below is a thread with his findings. The rings/ringland areas of the pistons look the same to older variations, so I can't imagine the new skirt changes help at all in correcting one of the weakest spots on the cast pistons - the ringlands.

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2877380

MinnesotaFTW likes this.
  12. Subie Boy

Subie Boy Active Member

I don't hate the EJ257. Each engine has their own strengths and weaknesses. Considering how long it has been manufactured, Subaru has no excuse for continued failures in stock cars. Neglect and or modifications were not always the culprits. The FA20dit rods cannot handle prolonged abuse above its threshold. You have to be mindful of what modifications you're making no matter which platform you choose. Driving a car without a tune deserves failure. :p

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
    drac77 likes this.
  13. STi_From_DSM

STi_From_DSM Well-Known Member

To be honest my Type RA is much more comfortable than my 13' WRX or 15' STi. If you are thinking WRX vs. STi and can afford the STi, I would go that route. The revised intake / pistons / suspension tweaks from the RA I believe got passed to the 19 STi as well? IMO, they ruined the WRX as soon as they went to equal length headers.
    Of course if you wanted to be like me you could buy a WRX and then 3 months later by the STi, lol. (OK RS3 to Type RA is a bit different) Granted I never keep a car long enough to actually have any problems, as long as you leave it relatively stock and do not hot rod it as soon as you start it, you should be relatively ok.

14. 007

007 Active Member

Brand new 2018 WRX. Nicer in every way VS my 09 WRX even though the 09 was faster. No regrets at all.
    I will say the stock tune is very odd though. Mine will be lightly modified when the warranty runs out. I have driven two that were correctly modified.........nothing too crazy......and they are even nicer.

15. Leo Severson

Leo Severson Member

There is a class action lawsuit against subaru for the premature failure of the rod bearings in the EJ257. It's an extremely common failure.

16. derp

derp Well-Known Member

I just want to add that it's bad rap. Not bad wrap.

Krazylegz1485 and tangledupinblu like this.
  17. BroCo

BroCo Moderator Staff Member

I have 142K miles on my 05 STI Pro tuned on E85 since 80K and still runs like a champ.

Bugeyejake likes this.
  18. Kneel Weiß

Kneel Weiß FUMP BDI Staff Member

Nothing wrong with an FA...unless it's from 2013. I've heard it's actually a better engine overall.