Rochester / S.E. MN

Discussion in 'MNSubaru - Regional' started by Steve in Minnesota, May 13, 2005.

1. Steve in Minnesota

Steve in Minnesota Well-Known Member

Nabil

I would definately go for that package....the price seems pretty good. You might do a search though to see how loud that Helix muffler is. I don't know how loud it is. I do know that mine my Evo II is one of the quieter ones out there and my wife comments that my car is loud every time she gets in it in the garage. :D She also claims she can hear me coming two blocks away. :D:D In response I'm trying to find something to make it louder.:D

I'm going to be out of town this next weekend visiting family in Iowa but will be back by 5:00 on Sunday to see if all you social buterflies can make it. The following Sunday I am doing the Autocross in St. Paul (First time :cool:) Should be fun. Bicycle Bob with the Evo is going also. I don't think we'll be back in time to meet at Chateau.

It seems obvious that my seeing my smiling face isn't enough draw for those of you with a social life :D so I would like to suggest some drives or something else entertaining to get people to come. I was thinking a back-roads drive to the drive-in Spring-Valley or DQ in Byron. A breakfast run on the weekend down back-roads to Rushford can be done to. There are some narrow, windy roads heading down that way. Maybe even a Pie-Run down to Whalen (On the Root-River Trail)

I've got all these great ideas but you lazy bastiges gotta come to hear them. :D:D:D

Our little group will only die if we let it die. I'm not willing to give up yet. I even made up fliers to stick on unsuspecting Subie windows I come across.

Later,

Steve B

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by beeloo

Sorry, was not able to make it cuz of a 'friend' emergency. Had to go up to the cities.

My plan this weekend is to debadge the car and wash it ( the only problem is I dont have a hair dryer :) to debadge). I would be glad to provide a helping hand to Steve or Pat. Let me know when you guys are planning on the install.

BTW Steve, this is the package i was talking about. What do you think?

Stage #1
    http://gruppe-s.com/Subaru/PowerPackages.htm
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

2. LeiboSTi

LeiboSTi Well-Known Member

I don't want it to die either. I just have had a hard time getting away. I will try my best to make the meets from now on, and bring some new members too.

wrxboy2003: I have an extra oil galley plug for my car. If you want to drill and tap it - you can have it.

Nabil - looks like a sweet setup at a great price.

Pat - glad to hear that you did not need the camber bolts - they are prone to failure apparently. I hope to get rid of mine soon when the next big upgrade occurs! How much rear negative camber were you able to get. What did you do for camber in the front. Zero toe all around?

I got my rotas by ordering online from subydude. No complaints about them as a vendor that I have ever seen.

3. rskm1

rskm1 Well-Known Member

4. pbedroske

pbedroske Well-Known Member

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by LeiboSTi

How much rear negative camber were you able to get. What did you do for camber in the front. Zero toe all around?

I got my rotas by ordering online from subydude. No complaints about them as a vendor that I have ever seen.

See, that's why i need that stat sheet deciphered. from what i can tell, the guy only put it to stock specs. and even then, the numbers appear different from side to side. at least it tracks straight now and the steering wheel is at 12o'clock.

Dave from Oakos.com will inform me when the rotas i want get in. hopefully by the end of the week. I plan to buy from him because he's been so good to me with the other parts i've ordered.:) tires may be a different story. right now i'm going with Yokohama avs es100's from discount tire by Sam's/Walmart north. price, wear and wet traction are important, but i still want performance.

Rear sway bar is here today!:D I'll probably install it friday or saturday afternoon. email me if you want to help out, hand me my beer or lend a garage (i have small apt garage). do i need jackstands? locktite? grease?

5. Steve in Minnesota

Pat

I would offer the use of my garage and tools, but I'm going to be out of town this weekend.

The car needs to be on ramps. I think I actually did mine on the ground but it was a pain in the butt. I didn't have ramps at the time. You have to have weight on the wheels/springs to get the end-links disconnected. If you want to borrow my ramps for the weekend you are welcome to. They are just the cheesy plastic rhino ramps, but they work really good. Let me know.

Just for the sake of conversation we could do this Sunday's meet at my place and install them then. Just a suggestion. I just live up the hill behind Century High School. Everyone would be more than welcome.

Steve B

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by pbedroske

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by LeiboSTi

How much rear negative camber were you able to get. What did you do for camber in the front. Zero toe all around?

See, that's why i need that stat sheet deciphered. from what i can tell, the guy only put it to stock specs. and even then, the numbers appear different from side to side. at least it tracks straight now and the steering wheel is at 12o'clock.

Dave from Oakos.com will inform me when the rotas i want get in. hopefully by the end of the week. I plan to buy from him because he's been so good to me with the other parts i've ordered.:) tires may be a different story. right now i'm going with Yokohama avs es100's from discount tire by Sam's/Walmart north. price, wear and wet traction are important, but i still want performance.

Rear sway bar is here today!:D I'll probably install it friday or saturday afternoon. email me if you want to help out, hand me my beer or lend a garage (i have small apt garage). do i need jackstands? locktite? grease?

6. pbedroske

I also have the cheesy plastic rhino ramps!

for our meetings, maybe a change of venue is in order, or perhaps we can entice the masses with food and beverage??? ideas???

7. Steve in Minnesota

I can always be enticed by food and beverage! :D

I like the suggestion to change the venue.

How about a park like Silver Lake or Soldier's Field or Essex. Silver Lake is central but you have to deal with goose poop. Soldier's Field is also central....less goose poop, Essex is pretty far north, but is shady and has a covered pavillion.

We could also change it to a pizza place or something like that but I kinda like the outside.

I'm open!

I still want to mix it up and do some drives though.

Steve B

8. pbedroske

Anybody wanna meet up today??? drive? grill?

9. PHATsuby

PHATsuby Well-Known Member

sorry i was gone until the afternoon yesterday. where are we meeting next time? I would be down for a DQ meet, haha get some ice cream and sit around and talk cars.

Ben

10. Steve in Minnesota

I and Bob with the EVO are doing the Autocross in St. Paul and probably won't be back in time next Sunday so I of course suggest waiting until the following Sunday if it is going to involve DQ. (Being the selfish bastard that I am!) :cool:

How about Sunday, June 26th we meet at 5:00 sharp at the Chateau and convoy to DQ in Byron (via backroads) for "cold winter storms" and car discussion?

I will work on a route for long, fun way to Byron.

Steve B.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by PHATsuby

sorry i was gone until the afternoon yesterday. where are we meeting next time? I would be down for a DQ meet, haha get some ice cream and sit around and talk cars.

Ben

11. PHATsuby

well i will not be back in time on sunday, the 26th, i will be getting back from oregon that day, i think i fly into the cities around 7 or something.

Ben

12. rskm1

rskm1 Well-Known Member

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Steve in Minnesota

How about Sunday, June 26th we meet at 5:00 sharp at the Chateau and convoy to DQ in Byron (via backroads) for "cold winter storms" and car discussion?

I will work on a route for long, fun way to Byron.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    Hey, that sounds like fun! (As long as they aren't dirt roads; I haven't put mudflaps on yet)

That gives me plenty time to visit the car show at the fairgrounds that day (probably wasn't going to show any of my cars this year anyways)

I might even have my wheels powdercoated and the vinyl graphics applied by then...

(speaking of powdercoating, if anyone else was considering it-- Gauthier Industries & Blast Clean (both along Valleyhigh Dr, just north of 19th St) sandblasted and powdercoated my winter Legacy wheels for just over $200)

13. Steve in Minnesota

Hey, that sounds like fun! (As long as they aren't dirt roads; I haven't put mudflaps on yet)

Rob

Can't you get touch-up paint at the Honda dealer? :D:D:D

No, we'll stear clear of the dirt roads this time around. I do know some fun ones of those though.

I just realized...my wife is going to be gone this Saturday night down to Iowa if anyone would be up for something. I have a graduation party to go to that goes until 6:eek:o but I would be free after that. Can't be anything too late....I have the auto-x the next morning in St. Paul that I need to get rolling pretty early for.

Steve B

14. LeiboSTi

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Steve in Minnesota

I and Bob with the EVO are doing the Autocross in St. Paul and probably won't be back in time next Sunday so I of course suggest waiting until the following Sunday if it is going to involve DQ. (Being the selfish bastard that I am!) :cool:

I will work on a route for long, fun way to Byron.

Steve B.

Driving and ice cream - two of my favorite things. My wife is out of town. If I can find a sitter, count me in!

15. pbedroske

I'll be out of town for most of the weekend. Don't know if I can get back by 5 on sunday :(, or if i'll have my tires mounted by then.

Watch out for deer! :D

16. beeloo

beeloo New Member

Alright, I guess I will have to pretend to be Steve and make this official!

Now as we wanted to change venues, i have some good suggestions. Food is always good, so let's choose a place that we can get food from but can also be "outside", near our Subaru's :p

The following places have an external seating area:

Roscoes
    Westfire
    Dos Amigos
    Beatles
    Fridays
    Dairy Queen (south near dennys)

My favorite would be Dairy Queen because it will be cheap and you dont have to buy a meal, an ice cream cone would work also.

Sunday 5pm would be a nice time to meet.

Let's vote on a place and get er done!

17. PHATsuby

dont forget chipotle, that could be a good place cause the lot is much larger.

i would vote for DQ but that lot is small and its likely that there will be others in it already on a sunday evening getting icecream.

i would be down for this sunday, but remember its father's day, not sure what is planned yet.

Ben

18. beeloo

beeloo New Member

I dont mind meeting Saturday or Sunday.

I have a personal beef with Chipotle's parking lot as my car was door'ed and scraped there. :(!

Let's make a decision by friday so we all can plan rest of the weekend accordingly.

19. Steve in Minnesota

Y'all are confusing the crap out of me and I generally don't need any help! :D

Saturday, June 18th. Steve B is available to do W.T.F.E. in the evening because the boss is out of town.

Sunday, June 18th. Steve B is NOT available. Participating in the autocross in St. Paul all day and will NOT make it back in time to do anything.

Sunday, June 26th at 5:00 SHARP. Steve B is leading a long-cut (as opposed to short-cut) drive to DQ in Byron for car talk and ice cream. Meet at Chateau between 4:45 and 4:59. Leave for Byron DQ at 5:00 sharp. I will figure out a route and just for the sake of enticing/bribing people to come....I WILL BUY EVERY PARTICIPATING DRIVER REGULAR A CONE! :p Come on now....dare ya to pass up that offer!

Let me know if anyone is up for something this Saturday evening!

Steve B.

20. PHATsuby

well, im not gonna be here for any meets this weekend most likely, i am going back up to the cities tomorrow and going to the dyno day on saturday. i'll be back sunday but like i said its fathers day we'll see whats planned.

Ben

21. LeiboSTi

I would vote for DQ for the new venue.

As far as day and time, I will let you guys fight it out then just try to make it.:D

22. Steve in Minnesota

Which DQ?

Not that there is such thing as a bad DQ! :D There are just more than one!

Steve B

I would vote for DQ for the new venue.

As far as day and time, I will let you guys fight it out then just try to make it.:D

23. LeiboSTi

Broadway near Silver Lake or South near Crossroads - either works. Which has a bigger parking area?

24. beeloo

beeloo New Member

I'm a go watch Batman Begins at 2:30 in Chateau, and then will swing by south DQ at 5pm to see if someone is around. Will wait there 10-15 mins.

Hopefully i will someone there!

25. Steve in Minnesota

Didn't get home until just now.

I would put my vote in for the north one on Broadway. I think the parking lot is bigger plus they have a whole bunch of tables in the grassy area next door. Besides, we might gather some more followers by being an a high traffic area like that.

Just my $0.02.

Steve B

26. rskm1

rskm1 Well-Known Member

Okay, I'm confused too now.
    Is this "venue change" proposal intended to affect the starting point for the 6/26[Sun]5pm drive to Byron DQ?

i.e. are we driving from a DQ to a DQ, OR are we starting at the Chateau as originally planned, and this is just a meta-discussion for future regular gatherings?

Also, a request for Steve (planning the route) -- could you print up (or attach images to a post in this thread) a few copies of our route, in case we fall behind or get lost or something? I don't wanna end up at a DQ in Iowa wondering where everyone else went.

27. Steve in Minnesota

I would suggest for the 26th we meet at the existing venue (Chateau)and then switch to the new venue after the next Sunday.

I already have the route written down. I need to get it typed up which I intend to do this week. I'm hoping we can stick together on the drive. I don't intend to make this into a road-race.

The route I have planned is 30 miles from Chateau to DQ in Byron and then take a southerly route from DQ to get back into town.

Steve
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by rskm1

Okay, I'm confused too now.
    Is this "venue change" proposal intended to affect the starting point for the 6/26[Sun]5pm drive to Byron DQ?

i.e. are we driving from a DQ to a DQ, OR are we starting at the Chateau as originally planned, and this is just a meta-discussion for future regular gatherings?

Also, a request for Steve (planning the route) -- could you print up (or attach images to a post in this thread) a few copies of our route, in case we fall behind or get lost or something? I don't wanna end up at a DQ in Iowa wondering where everyone else went.

28. kinger

kinger Guest

Hey guys,new to the site, but I'm from roch originally and live about a 100 miles away but get back very often this summer. Keep me in the loop. I have a 04 WRB/Gold sti I got from Clements. Thanks!

-Jesse

[email protected]

29. staff829

staff829 Guest

I think I should be able to make it. 5pm then? Any gravel roads?????? I'm guessing not.

Matt

30. Steve in Minnesota

Welcome!

Nope! No gravel roads! Nice smooth, paved country roads.

Steve B.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by staff829

I think I should be able to make it. 5pm then? Any gravel roads?????? I'm guessing not.

Matt

31. Steve in Minnesota

Off-topic request to the Rochester gang.....

I would like to request some install help.

I have a Perrin crank pulley and G.P. Moto silencer delete elbow sitting in a box in my garage. I also have a set of STI Pink springs that should be here tomorrow if the UPS person is good to me.

Would anyone like Brad and Pat (who have done spring installs)be so kind as offer me some assistance at their convenience. Anyone else is welcome to, I just know these guys have done the spring install.

I was thinking some Saturday morning in the next couple/several weeks would be schweet! Food and beverage will flow freely! :D

Steve B

32. LeiboSTi

Well, I am Mr. Mom this weekend, my wife is away. If this is to be a relatively relaxed drive, I will come along and have my girls in the back as they can always be enticed by ice cream and are always telling me to "drive the race car faster". If it will be a "highly spirited" drive, I better stay home with them.

33. pbedroske

Steve, I'd love to help you out! (and here's the...) BUT, i have company over this weekend (and i'm carrying a pager) and next saturday i have a wedding in LaCrosse and another wedding the next weekend. So I'm kinda booked unless you want to do it on a friday evening or a sunday.

In theory it should only take a couple of hours, but in practice you'll aways run into some sort of problem. Just make sure you have the right tools before you get started. breaker bar and an extenstion (for more torque)12, 14, 18(?)mm SIX point sockets and wrenches, 3/4" works too i think. Vise grip, SPRING COMPRESSERS, a hammer, a bigger hammer, WD40 or liquid wrench, a small child, 4 tickets to the Packers/Vikings game, ham & swiss sandwiches, a large child, a VHS copy of "The Pricess Bride", a cardboard box, bubble wrap, a bag of ice, a 9iron or pitching wedge, a buffalo (live or stuffed, preferably stuffed for safety sake), a copy of Homer's The Iliad in original text, a poster of the 1984 Chicago Blackhawks. Oh and jackstands.

If you have a definate date I can try to work around it. See ya'll sunday!

34. LeiboSTi

35. beeloo

beeloo New Member

Willing to provide a helping hand! Like Brad and Pat, i am busy this weekend as well. The weekend after should work out.

PS: I can probably get a copy of the princess bride.

36. rskm1

rskm1 Well-Known Member

If it will be a "highly spirited" drive, I better stay home with them.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    Only speaking for myself, but it's gonna be a pretty casual cruise for MY Suby. I put the 17" aftermarket wheels back on it (while my stock wheels are at the powdercoater's), and they have the wrong offset. In addition to me not wanting to overstress the wheel bearings, I don't want to wear out the tires unevenly since I'll be selling them soon.

37. Steve in Minnesota

Pat....didums forget our medication today! Funny stuff!

Ref. Sunday drive....very casual. Not a race!!!! Brad...your girls will be fine.

Ref. Install helpf for Steve. The weekend after this one if the 4th of July weekend. I've got nothing going on, but I don't want to take people away from their families. Unless the buffalo is cute!

How about Sunday the 3rd of July? The more help the better!

We can talk about it this Sunday. I would lie and say I'm not anxious to get the springs in....but I don't like to lie. The UPS man just dropped them off about two minutes ago.

We'll talk on Sunday!

Steve B

38. Steve in Minnesota

Nabile

Is the copy of the Princess Bride from your private collection? :D

Steve B.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by beeloo

Willing to provide a helping hand! Like Brad and Pat, i am busy this weekend as well. The weekend after should work out.

PS: I can probably get a copy of the princess bride.

39. beeloo

beeloo New Member

yes it is.

Also, it is a 'modified' version of the movie. It is also called Princess Bride: All holes filled. More like an educational video, if you will.

;)

40. Steve in Minnesota

INFORMATION OVERLOAD! TOO MUCH INFORMATION!

Steve B

41. Herger

Herger Active Member

I haven't checked the site in a while. I'd love to make the drive but I'm out of town for the next two weekends. I look forward to making the next drive. Later--steve

42. beeloo

beeloo New Member

Sorry could'nt make it to sunday DQ drive. How was it?

43. rskm1

rskm1 Well-Known Member

Well *I* had fun! It was a perfect day to pop open the sunroof and figure out how to use the cruise control on that thing. And SteveMN planned out a nice scenic route-- well, there was a severe shortage of bikini-clad sunbathers, but still...

44. Steve in Minnesota

After we went up to my house to do a cobble-job repair on Pat's end-link it went great. :D

Of course we wouldnt' have been disappointed with more participants....wink....wink....nudge....nudge.

I already have a mental plan for the next one. Back-roads down to the Drive-in in Spring Valley. Promisses to be more scenic and more windey!

Be there or be square! Date and time to be announced in the near future.

Steve B

45. pbedroske

Getting tinted in 13 hours! Part of the Group Buy at Midwest Auto Salon. Guess I'll go with 35% lifetime tint.

I've got the next week and a half off of work so I'll eventually be doing 30k mile maintance. I may decide to buy a short-ram intake instead of just a k&n, we'll see. I also bought a leather on leather momo shift knob used, hoping it gets here soon, I'll be putting in a kartboy short shifter and bushing along with that sti trim piece.

Anyone want to help with this? especially the PCV valve on the 30k maintance? (requires removing the intercooler)

Just ordered some of the parts wednesday, so I won't expect them until monday, friday at the very earliest.

pat